RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents & links :: JRL 2020-#66 :: Friday, 10 April 2020
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2020-#66 :: Friday, 10 April 2020
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs. The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL Home: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
1. The Nation: Stephen Cohen, How the Coronavirus Is Testing Putin’s Leadership – and the System He Created. Many of Russia’s official reactions are similar to those in the United States.
2. www.rt.com:Jonny Tickle, How Western media colludes with tiny Navalny-linked group of doctors to weaponize Russia’s Covid-19 battle – rt.com/russia/485386-western-media-weaponized-russia-covid19/
3. Interfax: Putin says will have more contacts with Trump on topical global affairs.
4. TASS: Relations between Russia and US experiences “overload” instead of “reset” – Medvedev.
5. Russia Beyond: Putin compared Pechenegs and Polovtsy to the coronavirus. But who are they? – rbth.com/lifestyle/331992-putin-coronavirus-russia-pechenegs-polovtsy
7. Reuters: Moscow’s Coronavirus Crisis Still in ‘Foothills’ Far From Peak, Warns Mayor.
8. www.fpri.org: Fabrice Deprez, Russia’s Confusing COVID-19 Response.
9. Reuters: Muscovites flee coronavirus shutdown, bringing trouble to Russia’s regions.
10. Bloomberg: Putin Plans $14 Billion Stimulus as Pressure Mounts for Spending.
11. TASS: One third of Russians prefer work at office to working from home, poll reveals.
12. TASS: Nezavisimaya Gazeta: National Projects face coronavirus reformatting.
13. Intellinews.com: EBRD drops a COVID-19 dambuster on Russian sanctions. The EBRD has started investing in Russia again after several years off.
14. Interfax: Russia will have to cut oil output by 1.8 mln bpd under OPEC+ deal
15. Wall Street Journal: Trump, Putin, Saudi Crown Prince Scramble to Fix Oil Markets. All three leaders face economic threat from low prices; Moscow and Riyadh bury the hatchet
16. www.rt.com: New OPEC+ compromise a positive development that will prevent market chaos – Kremlin.
17. TASS: Izvestia: Russia, OPEC+ reach oil cuts deal, await final word from G20.
18. www.rt.com: Russia-OPEC production cuts may not be enough to save oil market.
19. Financial Times: Russia’s rocket man set for return to virus-plagued planet. Covid-19 was unheard of when Commander of International Space Station left earth.
20. www.rt.com: World-famous Bolshoi Theater could GO BUST due to Covid-19 lockdown.
21. Russian International Affairs Council: Ilya Kramnik, To Sequestrate, or Not to Sequestrate. The Impact of Covid-19 on Military Budgets – russiancouncil.ru/en/analytics-and-comments/analytics/to-sequestrate-or-not-to-sequestrate-the-impact-of-covid-19-on-military-budgets/
22. TASS: US ready for arms control talks with Russia, China if they meet its criteria.
23. Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists: Daryl Kimball, Prevent the outbreak of another global security threat. Extend New START.
24. Modern Diplomacy: David Ceasar Wani, Russia-China relations: Engagement abilities in managing their differences in Central Asia.
25. Infobrics.org: NATO Still Seeks Expansion in Ukraine and Georgia Despite Coronavirus Pandemic – infobrics.org/post/30699/
26. Awful Avalanche: How Moscow Dealt With Plagues In The Past – Part IV – awfulavalanche.wordpress.com/2020/04/09/how-moscow-dealt-with-plagues-in-the-past-part-iv/
27. Awful Avalanche: How Moscow Dealt With Plagues In The Past – Part V – awfulavalanche.wordpress.com/2020/04/10/how-moscow-dealt-with-plagues-in-the-past-part-v/
28. Byline Times: Kseniya Kirillova, Afraid of the Known. Russians Now See Putin as a Threat Not a Saviour.
29. Washington Post: Greg More, The Cold War roots of Putin’s digital-age intelligence strategy. (excerpt)
30. AP: Barr Says Russia Probe Was Started ‘Without Basis’