RUSSIA NEWS & INFORMATION – Johnson’s Russia List contents & links :: JRL 2021-#32 :: Sunday, 14 February 2021
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2021-#32 :: Sunday, 14 February 2021
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs. The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL Home: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
1. TASS: Russia not yet at peak of its historical development — Putin.
2. rt.com: Russia’s rivals attempt to ‘exploit’ effects of Covid-19 pandemic by encouraging protests in support of Navalny, Putin tells media – rt.com/russia/515523-navalny-putin-coronavirus-frustration/
3. Irrussianality: Paul Robinson, DEBATING THE ‘NEW ETHICAL REICH’ – irrussianality.wordpress.com/2021/02/13/debating-the-new-ethical-reich/
4. rt.com: Paul Robinson, As column in Moscow’s top progressive newspaper labels West ‘New ethical Reich,’ are Russian liberals turning away from EU & US? – rt.com/russia/515384-republic-progressive-newspaper-gubin-column/
5. The National Interest: Mark Episkopos, What the Navalny Affair Actually Means for Russia. The fallout from the ongoing Navalny saga extends beyond Russia’s domestic affairs, contributing to a dangerous cycle of escalation between Moscow and the West.
6. Facebook: Fred Weir, Communists. [Russia’s Communists Are Split Over Support for Navalny – The Moscow Times]
7. New York Times: A Life in Opposition: Navalny’s Path From Gadfly to Heroic Symbol. Even as a boy, the Russian opposition leader resisted authority. Now, he poses a growing threat to the country’s ultimate authority, President Vladimir V. Putin.
8. Washington Post: Russia’s opposition is regrouping for a spring offensive. Here is why.
9. Washington Post editorial: Putin’s latest aggression could silence U.S. media operations in Russia.
10. rt.com: Russian opposition figure Alexey Navalny’s defamation case adjourned once again – faces fine after calling WWII veteran ‘traitor’ – rt.com/russia/515421-navalny-defamation-case-adjourned/
11. Paul Goble: By Attacking Navalny, Yavlinsky Confirms Him as Opposition Leader of the Future, Gallyamov Says.
12. The Spectator (UK): Mark Galeotti, Will Iron Felix scare Moscow’s protesters?
14. rt.com: Russian economy may recover to pre-pandemic levels by year end, says Central Bank.
15. Oilprice.com: Gazprom Plans To Start Nord Stream 2 Gas Pipeline This Year.
16. TASS: Nord Stream 2 gas pipeline will be built despite US attempts to delay construction – Novak – tass.com/economy/1256299
17. Paul Goble: Any Increase in Western Sanctions on Russia will Only Make It Easier for Kremlin to Repress Its People, Inozemtsev Says.
18. strategic-culture.org editorial: NATO’s Road To Perdition With Ukraine – strategic-culture.org/news/2021/02/12/nato-road-to-perdition-with-ukraine/
19. Washington Post: John O’Loughlin, Gwendolyn Sasse, Gerard Toal and Kristin M. Bakke, A new survey of the Ukraine-Russia conflict finds deeply divided views in the contested Donbas region. Many in the breakaway territory see a future with Russia.
20. Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs: Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov’s interview with the Solovyov Live YouTube channel, February 12, 2021. (transcript concluded) – mid.ru/en/foreign_policy/news/-/asset_publisher/cKNonkJE02Bw/content/id/4570813
21. The Guardian: The best books to understand contemporary Russia. From memoir and novels to guerrilla journalism and economics, Viv Groskop shares her favourite books on Russia today.
22. gilbertdoctorow.com: Gilbert Doctorow, New release. “Memoirs of a Russianist, Volume II: Russia in the Roaring 1990s” [Amazon: amzn.to/3tX18b3]