RUSSIA NEWS & INFORMATION – Johnson’s Russia List contents & links :: JRL 2020-#174 :: Thursday, 24 September 2020
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at email@example.com
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2020-#174 :: Thursday, 24 September 2020
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs. The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL Home: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
1. Russia Matters: Levada Poll: 1/2 of Russians Support Idea of ‘Russia for Russians,’ About 1/5 Would Not Let in Chinese, Ukrainians.
2. TASS: Russia held highly-competitive elections, Putin says.
3. Kremlin.ru: Meeting with elected regional heads – en.kremlin.ru/events/president/news/64081
4. Vedomosti: Russian article views population decline as means of improving quality of life.
5. Vedomosti: Aleksey Firsov: Money Generates Power. Will Entrepreneurs Be Allowed Into Politics?
6. Moscow Times: Mark Galeotti, Putin’s UN Speech Masks Decline in Confident Rhetoric. While presenting Russia as a world leader in everything from vaccine research to controlling cyberweapons, Putin was actually rehearsing the defense of a nation in decline.
7. Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS): Robert Person, Four Myths about Russian Grand Strategy.
8. TASS: Putin unwilling to return to restrictions imposed in spring 2020.
9. rt.com: Officials insist second coronavirus lockdown in Russia ‘unlikely,’ say recent growth in cases was predicted & is ‘manageable’ – rt.com/russia/501521-second-coronavirus-lockdown-unlikely/
10. Meduza: Tricky data. ‘Sputnik V’ developers respond to Western critics, but the debate might overlook the vaccine’s biggest problem.
11. TASS: Izvestia: Russians’ debt burden drops for the first time since 2015.
12. rt.com: Russia projected to dominate global wheat exports for years to come – rt.com/business/501557-russia-global-grain-superpower/
13. Dances With Bears; John Helmer, RUSSIA IS NOW THE BIG CHEESE. (excerpt) – johnhelmer.net/russia-is-now-the-big-cheese/print/
14. History Today: The Western Gaze. Russian history through western correspondents – historytoday.com/reviews/western-gaze
15. European Union Institute for Security Studies (EUISS): RUSSIAN FUTURES 2030. The shape of things to come.
16. TASS: Izvestia: Strategic ultimatum – US insists on involving China in New START.
17. Sputnik: Eskimo Effect’: Putin Explains Avangard Hypersonic Glide Vehicle’s Operating Principle – sputniknews.com/russia/202009231080552063-eskimo-effect-putin-explains-avangard-hypersonic-glide-vehicles-operating-principle/
18. CNSNews: Russia, China, Iran, and Others Begin Joint Military Drills in Southern Russia.
19. TASS: Kommersant: Navalny discharged from Berlin hospital.
20. rt.com: ‘Absolutely incorrect’: Kremlin spokesman ridicules Le Monde report suggesting Putin told Macron that Navalny poisoned himself – rt.com/russia/501501-putin-macron-navalny-le-monde
21. rt.com: Russia calls upon OPCW to release data on Navalny ‘poisoning’ to all member states; says Germany failing to provide answers – rt.com/russia/501510-russia-calls-opcw-navalny-data-release/
22. Komsomolskaya Pravda: What is known about Maria Pevchikh: Navalny’s mysterious companion – connected with his foreign customers? The trail of Maria Pevchikh begins in London and seems to lead to the shadow curators of the Anti-Corruption Foundation.
23. Wall Street Journal: Alexei Navalny Supporters Probe How the Russian Opposition Leader Was Poisoned. Team scoured his hotel room and found a water bottle they say has traces of Novichok, a nerve agent.
24. Intellinews: A dozen countries refuse to recognise Lukashenko’s inauguration. Spontaneous protests broke out in the evening following Alexander Lukashenko’s secret inauguration for a sixth term.
25. Russian International Affairs Council: Tony Kevin, Why History Matters in Belarus – russiancouncil.ru/en/analytics-and-comments/columns/east-west-relations/why-history-matters-in-belarus/
26. Moskovsky Komsomolets: Ruslan Grinberg, Belarusian Lessons for Russia: Lukashenko Has a Short Time Left.
27. Russian International Affairs Council: Vyacheslav Sutyrin, Perestroika Belarusian-Style: The Logic of the Systemic Crisis – russiancouncil.ru/en/analytics-and-comments/analytics/perestroika-belarusian-style-the-logic-of-the-systemic-crisis/
28. Komsomolskaya Pravda: Russian tabloid looks at protest sentiments in Russia, Belarus.
29. rt.com: ‘Bizarre & deeply disturbing’: MSM think that RT’s Trump deepfake parody is ADMISSION he is ‘Putin’s pawn’ – rt.com/news/501527-rt-trump-deepfake-reaction/
30. Interfax: Moscow not going to interfere in U.S. domestic political processes – Russian Foreign Ministry
31. rt.com: Scott Ritter, The American deep state revives its tired allegations of Russian interference in November’s presidential elections – rt.com/op-ed/501526-russian-interference-deep-state-elections/
32. Comments on Stephen Cohen.