RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents :: JRL 2016-54 :: Friday, 18 March 2016
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2016-#54
Friday, 18 March 2016
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs
The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or the George Washington University.
JRL homepage: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
Support JRL: russialist.org/funding.php – Donate Online: direct link
1. New York Times: Anatol Lieven, Don’t Fear the Russians.
2. The Independent (UK): Patrick Cockburn, Syria war five years on: Bringing conflict to an international level is helping to hold the ceasefire. However messy, Russian and US dominance – and Russia’s swift withdrawal – helped quell violence in Syria, but ending war altogether is a different matter.
3. Kremlin.ru: Meeting with Russian Armed Forces service personnel.
4. TASS: Every fourth Russian assesses results of Russian operation in Syria as positive – poll. [DJ: Should be “Every four out of ten respondents”?]
5. Sic Semper Tyrannis: Patrick Armstrong, Another Lesson from Moscow Washington Won’t Learn.
6. USNews.com: Colin P. Clarke and William Courtney, Accommodate the Kremlin. The West should support Russia’s strategic interests in order to collectively bring peace to Syria.
7. Sputnik: Pepe Escobar, Is There a US-Russia Grand Bargain in Syria?
8. www.foreignaffairs.com: Kimberly Marten and Rajan Menon, Putin’s Mission Accomplished? Why Russia Is Taking Troops Out of Syria.
9. London Free Press (Canada): Gwynne Dyer, Russia’s Syrian strategy smart, efficient, effective.
10. Valdai Discussion Club: UNDERSTANDING UNEASY NATION-BUILDING PROCESS IN POST-COMMUNIST EUROPE. (Interview with Ivan Krastev)
11. Valdai Discussion Club: WHY EU’S NEW RUSSIA POLICY SETS BOTH ON A COLLISION COURSE. The European Union’s new guidelines for relations with Russia reveal that Brussels has no meaningful ideas on how to deal with Moscow, Valdai Club expert Piotr Dutkiewicz believes.
12. www.rt.com editorial: US gears up to fight Russian ‘disinformation’ with…disinformation.
13. The Economist editorial: Russian foreign policy. A hollow superpower. Don’t be fooled by Syria. Vladimir Putin’s foreign policy is born of weakness and made for television.
14. Reuters: John Lloyd, What is the best way to describe Vladimir Putin’s Russia?
15. War on the Rocks: Michael Kofman, RUSSIAN HYBRID WARFARE AND OTHER DARK ARTS.