RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents & links :: JRL 2020-#49 :: Wednesday, 18 March 2020
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2020-#49 :: Wednesday, 18 March 2020
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs. The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL Home: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
1. Consortiumnews: Gareth Porter, The New York Times’ Insidious Ongoing Disinformation Campaign on Russia & Elections. A series of stories loudly proclaim the Russian election meddling narrative but offer no real facts supporting the most sensational claims – consortiumnews.com/2020/03/17/the-new-york-times-insidious-ongoing-disinformation-campaign-on-russia-elections/
2. Russian International Affairs Council: Andrey Kortunov, Coronavirus: A New Bug or Feature of World Politics? – russiancouncil.ru/en/analytics-and-comments/analytics/coronavirus-a-new-bug-or-feature-of-world-politics/
3. Sarah Lindemann-Komarova: COVID- 19: The View from Siberia.
4. Moscow Times: Coronavirus in Russia: The Latest News | March 18.
5. Russia Beyond: Russia now bans entry to ALL foreign nationals. What to expect?
6. TASS: Russian constitutional vote may be postponed due to threats to public health.
7. TASS: Kommersant: Russia’s constitutional vote likely to be delayed over coronavirus.
8. Kremlin.ru: Meeting with Central Election Commission Chairperson Ella Pamfilova.
9. TASS: Putin urges prevention of speculations, rumors about coronavirus.
10. Kremlin.ru: Meeting with Government members.
11. TASS: Putin highlights Russia’s middle class as comprising more than 70% of population.
12. Kremlin.ru: On middle class and people’s incomes (interview to TASS)
13. www.rt.com: Russians have crisis experience: Only 5% began stockpiling early for fear of coronavirus shortages.
14. Moscow Times: Russia Says It Has Very Few Coronavirus Cases. The Numbers Don’t Tell the Full Story. Experts say Russia’s testing procedures have been hampered by bureaucracy.
15. Bloomberg: Putin’s aides shocked by his presidential power play.
16. Riddle: Putin Aeterna? Ivan Preobrazhensky on the constitutional transition.
17. TASS: Russian finance chief says domestic economic situation currently uneasy.
18. Interfax: Situation thus far not developing in best way, Russia to see budget deficit in 2020 – Siluanov.
19. TASS: Nezavisimaya Gazeta: Experts warn $25-a-barrel oil will shatter Russian ruble.
20. Moscow Times: Michele Berdy, Remembering Writer Eduard Limonov. Limonov died at age 77 on March 17.
21. TASS: Izvestia: Germany mulls lifting anti-Russian sanctions amid coronavirus.
22. www.rt.com: Sanctions Shmanctions: Only 1 in 10 Russians say they personally feel effects of Western embargoes.
23. Oilprice.com: Russia Makes Move On Antarctica’s 513 Billion Barrels Of Oil.
24. Asia Times: Who will cave first in Saudi-Russia oil price war? World’s top two oil exporters flood the market as prices collapse and Covid-19 pandemic kills off global demand.
25. Inside Arabia: James Dorsey, Playing for Higher Stakes: Saudi Arabia Gambles on Oil War with Russia. With stock markets crashing and economies grinding to a halt as the world struggles to get a grip on the Coronavirus, Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman could not have chosen a worse time to wreak havoc on energy markets by launching a price and production war against Russia.
26. Modern Diplomacy: Emil Avdaliani, Post-Soleimani, Russia’s Role Will Grow in Iran’s Geopolitical Thinking.
27. Infobrics: Washington Attempts to Intimidate Indonesia Not to Buy Russian Weapons.
28. Awful Avalanche: USSR Not Prepared For Nazi Surprise Attack Because Iran – Part IV.
29. Wall Street Journal: Russia Cements Ties With Crimea, Freezing Conflict With West. Six years after Russia seized Crimea from Ukraine, the peninsula is tightly bound to Moscow, which now covers almost 70% of the territory’s budget.
30. Washington Post: Gerard Toal, John O’Loughlin and Kristin M. Bakke, Six years and $20 billion in Russian investment later, Crimeans are happy with Russian annexation. Our survey shows high levels of trust in Putin – though lower than in 2014.
31. Atlantic Council: Bohdan Nahaylo, Ukraine’s pro-Russian MPs plot new front with Putin.
32. New York Times: Anti-Russian Protests Erupt in Ukraine, Despite Virus Threat. Organizers of a street protest in Kyiv say resisting Russian influence is more important than honoring a ban on mass gatherings.
33. Reuters: Ukraine Imposes State of Emergency in Kiev Region, PM Warns of Economic Crisis.
34. Financial Times: Ukrainegate: Rudy Giuliani’s new campaign against Joe Biden. Donald Trump’s lawyer has new fixers in Kyiv to help revive claims discredited as conspiracy theory. (excerpt)
35. www.rt.com: Russiagate all over again: Secret EU report blames Russia for coronavirus ‘confusion, panic and fear’
36. Sic Semper Tyrannis: Larry Johnson, A Cornerstone of Russia Hacked the 2016 Election Collapses.
37. www.rt.com: Scott Ritter, The indictment of Concord was meant to prove Russia interfered in the US presidential election. But it was just a political sham.
8. Paul Goble: Putin ‘Much Greater Problem’ for Russia than Coronavirus, Falling Oil Prices or War in Syria ‘Taken Together,’ Inozemtsev Says.
39. Wall Street Journal: Leon Aron, ‘The Return of the Russian Leviathan’ Review: A Lust for Suffering. Putin’s domestic policies, says a Russian critic, are motivated by revenge, self-pity and a search for those who betrayed the wonderful U.S.S.R.
40. www.rt.com: US halts deployment & recalls troops from NATO’s biggest drill ‘Defender Europe 2020’ due to coronavirus threat.