RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents & links :: JRL 2020-#17 :: Friday, 24 January 2020
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at email@example.com
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2020-#17 :: Friday, 24 January 2020
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs. The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL Home: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
1. TASS: Kremlin says public vote on constitutional amendments won’t be formality.
2. RFE/RL: Russian Activists Launch ‘Public Campaign’ Against Putin’s ‘Constitutional Coup’
3. BMB Russia: Constitutional Reform.
4. BMB Russia: New Government.
5. Meduza: Who are Russia’s new cabinet members? Part two: the ministers.
6. Moscow Times: Who Is Olga Lyubimova, Russia’s New Culture Minister? Cultural figures are of two minds about the appointment.
7. The Calvert Journal: Will Russia’s latest culture minister herald a new era of creative freedom? The appointment of Russia’s last culture minister, Vladimir Medinsky, brought a new era of Kremlin policy that emphasised “traditional Russian values”. Does the entrance of his successor, Olga Lyubimova, mean the tables have finally turned?
8. The Independent (UK): Oliver Carroll, Is Putin in a hurry to leave? Russian parliament rushes through constitutional shake-up. Analysis: Nobody knows what the president’s real intentions are but one logical inference of the detail of his constitutional reform is that he wants out
9. Sharon Tennison: Shake-up in the Kremlin? Putin Selects a New Leader?
10. Intellinews.com: Russian industry hoping for a better 2020.
11. Kremlin.ru: Remembering the Holocaust: Fighting Antisemitism forum – en.kremlin.ru/events/president/transcripts/62646
12. The Times of Israel: Among dozens of world leaders in Jerusalem, Putin proves the dominant presence. Speaking at two ceremonies, making headlines for days in the lead-up to Holocaust Forum, president sets out Russia’s WWII and Shoah narrative, exudes authority, boosts Netanyahu.
13. The Economist: Memory wipe. Vladimir Putin wants to rehabilitate Stalin’s pact with Hitler. Russia’s latest disinformation campaign is aimed at Poland and the EU.
14. Financial Times: The Bridge – the political power of gas pipelines to Europe. Thane Gustafson demonstrates the realpolitik of energy supply in geopolitical relations with Russia.
15. Interfax: Mechanism for settling incidents between Russian, U.S. militaries in Syria working without failures – Russian military expert.
16. TASS: Izvestia: Putin calls on UN Security Council members to join forces for peace.
17. Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs: Acting Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov’s remarks at a general meeting of the Russian International Affairs Council, Moscow, January 21, 2020 – mid.ru/en/foreign_policy/news/-/asset_publisher/cKNonkJE02Bw/content/id/4003236
18. Russian International Affairs Council: Igor Ivanov’s Remarks at the Federal Academy for Security Policy – russiancouncil.ru/en/analytics-and-comments/analytics/igor-ivanov-s-remarks-at-the-federal-academy-for-security-policy/
19. Moskovsky Komsomolets: Russian pundit views results of global players’ policy in last decade. (Oleg Bondarenko)
20. www.strategic-culture.org: Matthew Ehret, Putin Calls for a New System Guided by the UN Charter…But Is It Possible? – strategic-culture.org/news/2020/01/23/putin-calls-for-new-system-guided-by-un-charter-but-possible/
21. Infobrics: Russia’s skilled balancing in Asia and elsewhere.
22. UNIAN (Kyiv): Most citizens say officials must speak Ukrainian during working hours.
23. TASS: 75% of Ukrainian citizens support free use of Russian language in private life.
24. http://natyliesbaldwin.com: KIEV GOVERNMENT TELLS ISRAEL TO SIT DOWN & SHUT UP ABOUT GLORIFICATION OF NAZIS IN UKRAINE – natyliesbaldwin.com/2020/01/kiev-government-tells-israel-to-sit-down-shut-up-about-glorification-of-nazis-in-ukraine/
25. Transitions Online: David Stulik, Ten Successes of Ukraine in 2019 That You Don’t Know About but Should. A long-time EU diplomat in Kyiv isn’t afraid of proclaiming an unabashed celebration of the country’s progress. From Euromaidan Press.
26. Washington Post: Jessica Pisano, Yes, Putin cares about Trump’s impeachment trial – but not for the reason you might imagine. He has another target in mind.
27. Reuters: Trump ‘Made a Religious Man Out of Vladimir Putin,’ Jokes Schiff.
28. Antiwar.com: Daniel Lazare, Adam Schiff’s Very Scary Warmongering Speech – original.antiwar.com/Daniel_Lazare/2020/01/23/adam-schiffs-very-scary-warmongering-speech/
29. Kennan Institute: Sergey Parkhomenko, The Near-Instant Death of Russia’s Constitution.
30. The New Yorker: HOW PUTIN CONTROLS RUSSIA. (interview with Masha Lipman)