RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents & links :: JRL 2019-#99 :: Monday 24 June 2019
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at email@example.com
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2019-#99 :: Monday, 24 June 2019
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs. The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL Home: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
1. Intellinews.com: Ben Aris, Putin promises to take out the garbage in his annual phone-in.
2. TASS: Media: How this year’s Q&A differed from Putin’s previous sessions.
3. Kremlin.ru: Direct Line with Vladimir Putin. (transcript continued)
4. Bear Market Blog: Putin’s Direct Line emphasizes efforts to improve living conditions but recants little in foreign policy.
5. Carnegie Moscow Center: Tatyana Stanovaya, No Change Ahead, a Jaded Putin Signals at Annual Phone-In.
6. Interfax: Almost 3/4 of Russians trust Putin, 2/3 approved of him as president – poll.
7. Moscow Times: Most Russians Say Soviet Union ‘Took Care of Ordinary People’ – Poll.
8. Moscow Times: Russians Are Losing Interest in Foreign Policy, Poll Says.
9. Russian and Eurasian Politics: Gordon Hahn, Lessons from Yekaterinburg.
10. Strategic Culture Foundation: Patrick Armstrong, A Month in the Life of the World’s Richest Man. – strategic-culture.org/news/2019/06/07/month-life-worlds-richest-man/
11. TASS: Interior Ministry exposes violations committed during detention of journalist Golunov.
12. The Kennan Institute: Maxim Trudolyubov, The Kremlin’s Statecraft and Russia’s Freeze-Thaw Cycle.
13. The Economist: The new musketeers. The improbable careers of Vladimir Putin’s bodyguards. Proximity is power.
14. Russia Beyond: How Russia protects critical infrastructure from cyber attacks.
15. www.rt.com: Billionaire Arkady Rotenberg discusses Putin friendship & Western sanctions fight in rare interview.
16. www.rt.com: Russia extends counter-sanctions against US, EU & allies through 2020.
17. Interfax: Russian govt waiting for EU to grow tired of anti-Russian sanctions. – rbth.com/science-and-tech/330540-russia-protects-critical-infrastructure-from-cyberattack
18. TASS: Izvestia: Moscow anticipates Washington’s readiness for dialogue in Osaka.
19. Reuters: Russia Warns of Repeat of 1962 Cuban Missile Crisis.
20. TASS: Deterrence works both ways: Russian diplomat says Pentagon needs to get a grip on reality.
21. Valdai Discussion Club: Andrey Kotunov, Is There Life After Arms Control Death? – valdaiclub.com/a/highlights/is-there-life-after-arms-control-death/
22. Time.com: Eugene Rumer and Richard Sokolsky, How to Reset U.S.-Russian Relations Today.
23. Washington Times: Edward Lozansky, Russia’s role in American politics. A Trump-Putin opportunity at Osaka G-20 summit.
24. Russia Matters: Expert Round-Up: How Likely Is a China-Russia Military Alliance? (excerpt)
25. Meduza: ‘It falls short on meaning’ The director of Russian TV’s upcoming ‘Chernobyl’ miniseries weighs in on the HBO smash hit.
26. Dances With Bears: John Helmer, MH17 PROSECUTION – THE DUTCH FIRE THEIR BIG GUNS, THE SUBJUNCTIVE AND CONDITIONAL TENSES, PLUS UKRAINIAN SECRET SERVICE TAPES. (excerpt) – johnhelmer.net/mh17-prosecution-the-dutch-fire-their-big-guns-the-subjunctive-and-conditional-tenses-plus-ukrainian-secret-service-tapes/
27. Carnegie Moscow Center: Thomas de Wall, Georgia’s Perpetual Street of Protest. The anger is not all about Russia. The Georgian Dream government is increasingly unpopular with large segments of the population.
28. TASS: Kommersant: Anti-Russian unrest in Tbilisi to boomerang on Georgian economy.
29. The Unz Review: Anatoly Karlin, Color Revolution in Georgia. – unz.com/akarlin/color-revolution-in-georgia/
30. www.rt.com: West ‘turns blind eye’ to ‘ultra-nationalists’ rioting when it comes to Georgia – Moscow. – rt.com/news/462554-georgian-riots-lavrov-comment/
31. Awful Avalanche: Caucasian Catfight: Maria Bitch-Slaps Salome. (re Georgia) – awfulavalanche.wordpress.com/2019/06/22/caucasian-catfight-maria-bitch-slaps-salome/
32. Irrussianality: Paul Robinson, SPLITTER! (re Ukraine)
33. Russia Beyond: 5 great Russian books for your summer reading list. – rbth.com/arts/330538-russian-books-for-summer
34. Asia Times: Andrew Salmon, The war over who won World War II. In the years since Hitler’s downfall, Hollywood’s victory has been history’s defeat – and recent events point to churlish politics in the West.
35. Sean’s Russia Blog Podcast: Sean Guillory, Soviet Anti-Americanism. (interview with Rósa Magnúsdóttir)
36. The Guardian (UK): Victoriya Holland, I’m Russian but I’m not a spy! When we came to the UK, I never expected that my nationality would be any kind of problem, but I’ve found it very difficult to be Russian and live here in the North.