RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents & links :: JRL 2019-#94 :: Wednesday, 5 June 2019
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at email@example.com
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2019-#94 :: Wednesday, 5 June 2019
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs. The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL Home: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
1. www.rbth.ru: Russians used to be obsessed with literature – they’re not anymore. – rbth.com/arts/330464-russian-read-books
2. www.rt.com: Russian economic growth hit 6-year high in 2018 despite sanctions – World Bank.
3. Russia Beyond: How much money does an average Russian make? – rbth.com/business/330451-average-salary
4. Moscow Times: Most Russian Ministries Lack Online Transparency – Study.
5. Moscow Times: Half of Russians Are Worried About the Environment Where They Live – Survey.
6. Komsomolskaya Pravda: Russian pundit views public ‘irritation’ with authorities. (Valery Solovey)
7. PRI.org: Generation Putin. Russia’s youth flex their political power.
8. Financial Times: Russian technology: can the Kremlin control the internet? Moscow is developing a ‘sovereign’ web that critics say will enhance official power to silence dissent.
9. Vedomosti: Poll says business climate in Russia ‘unsafe’ due to security agencies.
10. Vedomosti: Russian pundit views ‘active presence’ of church in society. (Fyodor Krasheninnikov)
11. Washington Post: Anders Aslund, Vladimir Putin is Russia’s biggest oligarch.
12. TASS: Nezavisimaya Gazeta: World just two minutes away from doomsday.
13. Russian International Affairs Council: Russian Policy in the Middle East: Dividends and Costs of the Big Game. – russiancouncil.ru/papers/Russia-MiddleEast-WP51En.pdf
14. TASS: Moscow, Beijing see eye to eye on virtually all key global issues, says Putin.
15. www.rt.com: Syria, Iran, N. Korea on agenda as Xi meets with Putin in Moscow 70 yrs since diplomatic ties began.
16. Wall Street Journal: Russia Rolls Out Red Carpet for Xi Amid Tensions With the West. Moscow hopes it can lift investment from China as domestic economic growth lags.
17. www.rt.com: Russia & China to ink dozens of deals during St. Petersburg Economic Forum.
18. Moscow Times: Bruno Macaes, Is Russia Having Second Thoughts About Integration With China? President Xi Jinping’s meeting with Vladimir Putin in St. Petersburg happens at a critical moment in the relations between the two countries.
19. Bellona: Charles Digges, Russian-Chinese relations are warming the Arctic. If the Kremlin meets its goal of transforming the Arctic’s Northern Sea Route into a bustling commercial shipping passage, it may end up having China to thank.
20. Intellinews.com: U.S. trails Russia and China in Arctic race.
21. Reuters: HBO show success drives Chernobyl tourism boom.
22. The New Yorker: Masha Gessen, What HBO’s “Chernobyl” Got Right, and What It Got Terribly Wrong.
23. Kyiv Post: 4 parties polling well for July 21 parliament election.
24. Intellinews.com: Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy in Brussels to affirm European direction and desire to join Nato.
25. RFE/RL: Ukraine’s President Promises NATO Referendum As Part Of Path To West.
26. www.rt.com: US envoy in Ukraine projects blame on Europe to cover up backing Poroshenko – analyst.
27. Kyiv Post: Ukraine might be designated as major non-NATO US ally.
28. Meduza: Luggage systems collapse at Sheremetyevo. Moscow passengers spend hours waiting for bags after salary cuts led airport luggage loaders to quit en masse.
29. Russia Reviewed: A cautious mid-year booklist. – russiareviewed.wordpress.com/2019/06/05/a-cautious-mid-year-booklist/
30. www.rt.com: ‘First ever law against fairytale characters’: Russian Senator trolls US colleagues’ anti-troll act. – rt.com/russia/461061-deter-act-trolls-russia/
31. Politico.com: Russia’s manipulation of Twitter was far vaster than believed. (excerpt)
32. New York Times: Russia Could Unleash Fake Videos During Election, Schiff Says.
33. The Hill: John Solomon, Hillary Clinton’s Russia collusion IOU: The answers she owes America.