RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents & links :: JRL 2019-#106 :: Thursday, 4 July 2019
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2019-#106 :: Thursday, 4 July 2019
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs. The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL Home: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
1. www.inquisitr.com: Here’s How U.S. Would Launch All-Out Nuclear Counterattack On Russia, As Revealed By Top Air Force General. – inquisitr.com/5512041/u-s-would-launch-all-out-nuclear-counterattack-on-russia/
2. Beyond the Kremlin: Mark Smith, Against laziness. (re Mark Galeotti) – beyondthekremlin.com/2019/06/08/against-laziness/
3. Kremlin.ru: Meeting with Defence Minister Sergei Shoigu.
4. Russia Beyond: Everything known about the top secret ‘Losharik’ submarine. – rbth.com/science-and-tech/330607-everything-known-about-losharik
5. Gazeta.ru: Russian website profiles underwater fire vessel.
6. Vesti.ru: Investigations Into Submarine Accident Tragedy Begin! Battery Explosion Caused the Fire! – vesti.ru/doc.html?id=3164823&cid=4441
7. Meduza: A high-ranking crew in a shallow sea . We asked Russian military experts to explain the Barents Sea submarine fire.
8. TASS: Vedomosti: Putin to meet with Pope Francis for the third time.
9. AP: Putin Meets Pope, Italian Leaders on One-Day Visit to Rome.
10. TASS: Putin says too early to talk about what he will do after 2024.
11. Interfax: Putin: Russia not going to get involved in arms race with U.S., but must ensure its security.
12. Interfax: Putin: Russia never interferes in internal affairs of other states, which makes it markedly different from U.S.
13. Kremlin.ru: Interview with Italian newspaper Corriere della Sera.
14. TASS: Assuming right to truth contradicts democratic principles, says Putin.
15. Kremlin.ru: Development of Parliamentarism International Forum.
16. Vedomosti: Russian daily questions quality of information Putin receives. (Pavel Aptekar)
17. Moscow Times: Leonid Ragosin, Is Putin Winning Against Liberal Democracy? The Russian president’s ideological flexibility gives him the upper hand in a post-modern world.
18. www.raamoprusland.nl: Putin doesn’t want to kill liberalism, only optimism. In his interview with the Financial Times Vladimir Putin buried liberalism. Commentators fumed, but our columnist Mark Galeotti, author of the soberer book We need to talk about Putin, puts things in perspective. Putin is a man with many masks, who easily adapts to different audiences. His main goal is stability for his regime and for the world, in the interest of Russia. And of his business friends.
19. Izvestia: Russia’s premier discusses challenges facing ruling party. (Medvedev)
20. RFE/RL: Managing To Win: Sagging Popularity Forces Russia’s Ruling Party To Dig Into Its Box Of Election Tricks.
21. Moscow Times: Russia to Slash Soviet-Era List of Off-Limits Jobs for Women, Media Reports.
22. Barents Observer: Floating nuclear power plant will be key element on Northern Sea Route, says Rosatom.
23. Financial Times: Workers at Deripaska’s sanctioned GAZ picket US embassy party in Moscow. Russia’s biggest commercial vehicle manufacturer says restrictions will bankrupt it.
24. Russia Matters: Paul Saunders, Optimism for Improved US-Russian Relations Is Necessary, But Should Remain Cautious.
25. Vesti.ru: Top Pundits Worry That Deep State Apparatchiks in Capitol Prevent Trump From Negotiating!
26. TASS: Izvestia: INF can become history in early August, says senior Russian diplomat.
27. Russian International Affairs Council: Alexander Yermakov, End of Nuclear Arms Control: Do Not Beware the Ides of March. – russiancouncil.ru/en/analytics-and-comments/analytics/end-of-nuclear-arms-control-do-not-beware-the-ides-of-march/
28. Awful Avalanche: Gruzian Revanchism And Russian Pop Culture – Part I. – awfulavalanche.wordpress.com/2019/07/03/gruzian-revanchism-and-russian-pop-culture-part-i/
29. Awful Avalanche: Gruzian Revanchism And Russian Pop Culture – Part II.
30. Indian Punchline: M.K. Bhadrakumar, Israeli attack on Syria is a message for Russia. – indianpunchline.com/israeli-attack-on-syria-is-a-message-for-russia/
31. The Unz Review: The Saker, Debunking the Rumors About Russia Caving in to Israel. (excerpt)
32. Interfax: Over half of Ukrainians favor deployment of peacekeepers in Donbas – poll.
33. Consortiumnews.com: Mueller’s Upcoming Turn in the Witness Chair. The ex-special counsel has agreed to take questions from a congressional committee and James Howard Kunstler can think of a few he’d like to have answered. – consortiumnews.com/2019/07/03/muellers-upcoming-turn-in-the-witness-chair/
34. Consortiumnews.com: Lucy Komisar, Mueller Report Gets the Trump Tower Meeting Wrong; Promotes Browder Hoax. Natalia Veselnitskaya didn’t have “dirt” on Hillary Clinton and when the Russian lawyer met with Trump’s people her focus was not on the 2016 campaign. – consortiumnews.com/2019/07/03/mueller-report-gets-the-trump-tower-meeting-wrong-promotes-browder-hoax/