RUSSIA NEWS & INFORMATION – Johnson’s Russia List contents & links :: JRL 2021-#248 :: Tuesday, 21 December 2021
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2021-#248 :: Tuesday, 21 December 2021
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs. The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL Home: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
1. Intellinews: Moscow has launched its 900th electric bus in time for the holidays.
2. rt.com: New study reveals scale of bribery in Russian state contracts.,
3. Russia Matters: Alexandra Vacroux, Russia’s Discouraging Demographics Shouldn’t Change U.S. Approach.
4. rt.com: US can’t be trusted to honor its promises – Putin.
5. Moscow Times: Putin Warns of ‘Military-Technical’ Response to Western ‘Aggression’
6. TASS: Russia simply has “nowhere to retreat” if US weapons appear in Ukraine — Putin.
7. rt.com: American mercenaries preparing ‘chemical weapon’ incident in east Ukraine, Russia claims.
8. Financial Times: U.S. plans talks with Russia to find diplomatic route to ease Ukraine tensions. Putin warns that Moscow is ready to use ‘military-technical measures’ to counter ‘hostile’ Nato.
9. TASS: Media: Russia presses West to engage in talks.
10. Valdai Discussion Club: Timofei Bordachev, Counter-Threat Regime and Strategic Frivolity.
11. gilbertdoctorow.com: Gilbert Doctorow, What are independent media in Russia saying about the country’s ultimatum to the USA and NATO?
12. Antiwar.com: Ted Galen Carpenter, Is the Biden Administration Trying To Execute a Delicate Retreat Regarding Ukraine?
13. Creators.com: Patrick Buchanan, What To Do About That Russian Ultimatum.
14. Moscow Times: Steven Pifer, Does the Kremlin Understand Ukraine? Apparently Not. The abject failure of Russian policy toward Ukraine over the past seven years suggests Vladimir Putin has a flawed understanding of the country.
15. Antiwar.com: Ray McGovern, Putin Has a Big Brother in Xi.
16. Atlantic Council: Harley Balzer, Axis of collusion: The fragile Putin-Xi partnership.
17. Responsible Statecraft: Poll: Americans don’t want war with Russia over Ukraine. Wary of military adventurism, the survey also found that Americans want US leaders to focus on domestic issues.
18. TASS: Rossiyskaya Gazeta: Sanctions against Russian oil and gas industry going up in smoke.
19. New York Times: How the Kremlin Is Militarizing Russian Society. With a “youth army,” a cathedral honoring the military and state media promoting patriotism, the government is preparing Russians for the possibility of a fight.
20. Washington Post: David Ignatius, The Biden administration weighs backing Ukraine insurgents if Russia invades.
22. rt.com: Tarik Cyril Amar, Why is the EU backing Navalny, but ignoring Assange?
22. Reuters: Ukraine Accuses Former President Poroshenko of Treason.
23. Financial Times: Ukraine’s former president accuses Kyiv of risking national unity. Petro Poroshenko says treason charges against him are part of ‘strange things’ happening under his successor.
24. Komsomolskaya Pravda: Leonid Gozman recognized the futility of the liberal opposition in Russia. One of the country’s top liberals explained why this happened.
25. Dances With Bears: John Helmer, SERGEI AND YULIA SKRIPAL ARE NO MORE.
26. U.S. Department of State: Senior Administration Official on U.S. Diplomatic Engagement Regarding Our Ongoing Commitment to Ukraine’s Sovereignty, Territorial Integrity, and Independence.