UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2015-#193 :: Monday PM 5 October 2015
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2015-#193
Monday PM – 5 October 2015
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs
The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or the George Washington University.
JRL homepage: russialist.org
JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist
JRL on Twitter: twitter.com/JohnsonRussiaLi
Support JRL: russialist.org/funding.php
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York and the Open Society Foundations to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
1. NBCNews.com: Russia and Ukraine: 9 Ways Neighbors Went From Friends to Enemies.
2. TASS: Ukrainian Tornado battalion members accused of rape, torture, abductions in Donbas.
3. Ukrainecomment: HOW SERIOUS A THREAT IS THE FAR RIGHT IN UKRAINE? VIEWS FROM KYIV.
4. TASS: 16,000 Ukrainian troops defect Donbas with weapons, prosecutor says.
5. AFP: Ukraine local polls postponed to ensure ‘undisputed’ vote.
6. Russia Beyond the Headlines: Parties satisfied with latest talks on ending Ukraine conflict. Russian observers are voicing cautious optimism after another round of talks between the leaders of Russia, Germany, France, and Ukraine aimed at resolving the Ukrainian conflict. The issue of local elections in the Donbass remain the main stumbling block on the path to finding a political solution to the crisis in eastern Ukraine.
7. Kyiv Post: Leaders agree to postpone Minsk deal implementation and Donbas elections.
8. AFP: Ukraine insists Russia must cede border by end of year.
9. TASS: Moscow expects feedback from Donetsk, Luhansk regarding new dates for local elections.
10. Bloomberg: Leonid Bershidsky, Ukraine Is Being Told to Live With Putin.
11. Interfax-Ukraine: IMF worsens Ukraine’s GDP fall forecast to 11% in 2015.
12. www.rt.com: World Bank sharply downgrades Ukraine’s GDP forecast.
13. Human Rights in Ukraine: Journalists probing Security Service luxury cars detained and manhandled.
14. Moscow Times: Paul Quinn-Judge, Syria Won’t Erase Putin’s Ukraine Problem.
15. Business New Europe: US-style cops win points in Ukraine’s regions while other reforms drag.
16. Human Rights in Ukraine: Not so new police: protesters and journalists detained in Kharkiv oblast.
17. Fort Russ: Azarov: Poroshenko’s UN speech humiliated Ukraine.
18. Consortiumnews.com: Robert Parry, US Tax Dollars and Ukraine’s Finance Minister.
19. Newsweek.com: Former Economic Adviser to Reagan and Thatcher Hired by Ukrainian Government. (Arthur Laffer)
20. www.rt.com: Bryan MacDonald, Ukraine: One day cock of the walk, the next a feather duster.