UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2015-#163 :: Wednesday Afternoon 19 August 2015
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2015-#163
Wednesday Afternoon – 19 August 2015
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs
The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or the George Washington University.
JRL homepage: russialist.org
JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist
JRL on Twitter: twitter.com/JohnsonRussiaLi
Support JRL: russialist.org/funding.php
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York and the Open Society Foundations to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
1. Carnegie Council for Ethics in International Affairs: Nicolai Petro, Bringing Ukraine Back Into Focus: How to End the New Cold War and Provide Effective Political Assistance to Ukraine.
2. Russian Foreign Ministry: Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov’s statement and answers to media questions at a joint news conference following talks with Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif, Moscow. August 17, 2015. (excerpt re Ukraine)
3. TASS: Militia identify location Kiev shelled Mariupol from.
4. TASS: Kiev forces violate ceasefire regime 22 times over last 24 hours – DPR defense ministry.
5. Interfax: Leaders of Germany, France should cause Ukraine to fulfill Minsk agreements – Purgin.
6. Christian Science Monitor: Fred Weir, A return to war in Ukraine? Kiev, rebels trade accusations of buildup. Both Ukraine’s government and its rebel provinces have rebuilt their militaries, raising the stakes should the latest violence turn into all out combat.
7. Sputnik: Kiev Gathers Huge 65,000-Strong Army on Frontline Near Donetsk.
8. New York Times: Attacks, and Accusations, Escalate in Eastern Ukraine.
9. TASS: Donbas starts delivering coal to Ukraine.
10. Russia Direct: Meet pro-Kiev and pro-Russian battalions fighting in Ukraine. RD Explainer: Called by many a new type of war, the conflict in Eastern Ukraine has a number of volunteer groups fighting on both sides. Here’s an overview of just the most important volunteer battalions in the conflict.
11. Russia Insider: New Aussie Film on Ukraine Civilian Bombings: a PR Disaster for The US / EU.
12. TASS: Putin: Threat of external forces destabilizing situation in Crimea remains.
13. Fort Russ: Russia must force Ukraine to peace. (interview with Valery Korovin)
14. Izvestia: Russian former leader of Ukraine rebels eyes scenarios for separatist regions. (Oleh Tsaryov)
15. Sputnik: The ‘Cheap EU Gas for Ukraine’ Myth Debunked: Kiev Pays $75Mln More in Q2.
16. TASS: Ukraine fails to fall in with private creditors so far – media.
17. Kyiv Post: Timothy Ash, Prospects of $15 billion in debt relief for Ukraine still too close to call.
18. Facebook: Ivan Katchanovski, Ukraine and NATO.
19. Consortiumnews.com: Ray McGovern, Propaganda, Intelligence and MH-17.
20. www.paulcraigroberts.org: Paul Craig Roberts, Minsk Agreement Has Failed. Will the failure lead to Putin’s failure?
21. The Bow Group (UK): Russian sanctions could cost West over $700bn, say analysts – The Ukrainian crisis must now be used as an opportunity for reforming Russia.
22. VoxUkraine: Tymofiy Mylovanov, Roger Myerson, and Gerard Roland, Ukraine Needs Decentralization to Develop Future Democratic Leaders.
23. Atlantic Council: Brian Medford, Ukraine’s Fall Elections Matter More Than You Think.
24. Kyiv Post: Yatsenyuk, suspecting aid fraud, wants re-registration of war refugees.
25. Fort Russ: Yatsenyuk will flee the ruins of Ukraine because “it’s not his historical homeland”
26. Kyiv Post: Mobilization wave comes up 13,000 men short. Experts blamed a fall in patriotism in Ukraine for the failure of the sixth mobilization.
27. Fort Russ/Liga.net (Kyiv): Ukrainian Volunteer Battalions: Brainwashed Nazi Marauders pt. I.
28. Fort Russ/Liga.net (Kyiv): Ukrainian Volunteer Battalions: Brainwashed Nazi Marauders pt. II.
29. Fort Russ/Liga.net (Kyiv): Ukrainian Volunteer Battalions: Brainwashed Nazi Marauders pt. III.