RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents & links :: JRL 2019-#21 :: Wednesday, 13 February 2019
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at email@example.com
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2019-#21 :: Wednesday, 13 February 2019
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs. The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL Home: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
1. www.rt.com: Ballot boxes, not barricades: Russians seek change through peaceful democratic means – poll. [rt.com/russia/451367-political-life-russia-poll/]
2. TASS: RBC: Most Russians unwilling to take to streets to protest.
3. Moscow Times: Mark Galeotti, Surkov Hints Putin Himself No Longer Essential for the System to Persevere . Does Vladislav Surkov’s latest piece of post-modern fancy have a serious political message?
4. The Unz Review: Anatoly Karlin, Surkov Is Not A Deep Person. [unz.com/akarlin/surkov-is-not-a-deep-person/]
5. Sputnik: Russian Prime Minister, Cabinet Will Run Special Column on Ria.ru Website.
6. Vedomosti: Pundit says Russian domestic policy ‘distorts constitutional model.’ (Konstantin Gaaze)
7. The Guardian (UK): Great Firewall fears as Russia plans to cut itself off from internet. Moscow says temporary disconnection is a test of its cyberdefence capabilities.
8. Meduza: Internet freedom expert says Russia lacks the means to pull off an isolated Web like China’s.
9. RFE/RL: Q&A: Hurdles Ahead As Russia Surges On With ‘Sovereign Internet’ Plan.
10. Russia Beyond: Facebook and Google’s Russian rivals: Why are they winning? [rbth.com/science-and-tech/329970-russian-facebook-vk-russian-google-yandex]
11. Forbes.com: Kenneth Rapoza, Russia, Back From The Brink.
12. Bear Market Brief: Officials get somber on GDP growth.
13. Bloomberg: Leonid Bershidsky, Russia’s Growth Expectations Fall Back to Earth. The economic data for 2018 were surprisingly rosy. The outlook for this year is sharply less upbeat.
14. Intellinews.com: Russian government goes full circle on allowing kiosks to sell goods.
15. Paul Goble: Nearly 40 Percent of Russians Subsist on Less than 10 US Dollars a Day, Official Figures Show.
16. Russia Beyond: Are Russians more obese than Americans? [rbth.com/lifestyle/329974-obesity]
17. www.rt.com: As US piles on sanctions, foreign investors pour more money into Russia.
18. Vesti.ru: Vesti Exclusive! Amb. Antonov Believes Mutual Relations Ruined DESPITE Goodwill of Average Americans. [vesti.ru/doc.html?id=3115465&cid=4441]
19. TASS: Vedomosti: No winners in nuclear arms race, says Gorbachev.
20. Valdai Discussion Club: Ulrich Kuhn, Five Ways to Save INF’s Legacy.
21. Brookings: Frank Rose, The end of an era? The INF Treaty, New START, and the future of strategic stability.
22. Russian International Affairs Council: Towards a More Stable NATO – Russia Relationship.
23. Russian International Affairs Council: Andrey Kortunov, Heartland Reunion: Geopolitical Chimera or Historical Chance? [russiancouncil.ru/en/analytics-and-comments/analytics/heartland-reunion-geopolitical-chimera-or-historical-chance/]
24. AP Interview: Envoy Says Russia’s Clout in Afghanistan Rises.
25. Valdai Discussion Club: Russian Mamedov, The Astana Shackles. On February 14, the leaders of Russia, Turkey and Iran will meet in Sochi to discuss Syria and hold separate bilateral meetings. Recently, new developments have emerged that could prove dangerous if each state pursues its own hidden agenda. The three states depend on the Astana format for settling the Syrian issue.
26. New Eastern Outlook: Jean Perier, China-Russia Rapprochement is Still Firing on all Cylinders.
27. The Daily Wire: Dems, Fearing Russia Collusion Investigation Will Come Up Empty, Now Attacking Robert Mueller.
28. American Thinker: Is Mueller taking orders from Russia?
29. NBCNews.com: Senate has uncovered no direct evidence of conspiracy between Trump campaign and Russia.
30. Moon of Alabama: Russiagate Is Finished. [moonofalabama.org/2019/02/russiagate-is-finished.html]