RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents :: JRL 2019-#11 :: Thursday, 17 January 2019
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2019-#11 :: Thursday, 17 January 2019
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs. The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL Home: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
1. Vedomosti: Poll reveals ‘critical perception’ of Russia’s place in the world.
2. Interfax: Almost half of Russians ashamed of USSR’s collapse – poll.
3. Russia Insider: 15,000 Young Charity NGO Volunteers Go Wild at Putin Speech Praising Them (video) [russia-insider.com/en/15000-young-charity-ngo-volunteers-go-wild-putin-speech-praising-them/ri25900]
4. Moskovsky Komsomolets: Russian daily views actions of ‘extreme’ Putin fans.
5. Intellinews.com: Ben Aris, The revival of Russia’s cinema industry.
6. www.rt.com: Russia’s trade surplus poised to smash pre-sanction record – reports.
7. Reuters: Steven Halliwell, Commentary: Putin can’t afford to ditch the dollar.
8. Meduza: State Duma refuses to resume cooperation with PACE, increasing chances that Russia could leave the Council of Europe.
9. Bloomberg: Leonid Bershidsky, To Be Effective, Russia Sanctions Have to Be Removable. The U.S. must decide whether its economic restrictions against Oleg Deripaska are a permanent punishment or an incentive for change.
10. TASS: Russia’s metals mogul files libel lawsuit against Communist Party leader.
11. Valdai Discussion Club: Alexei Grivach, The Marshal Vasilevsky Factor: Energy Blockade of Kaliningrad Is Now Impossible
12. Interfax: Ryabkov: Russia isn’t changing its INF Treaty stance, is rejecting U.S. blackmail, ultimatum attempts.
13. www.rt.com: US to begin INF Treaty withdrawal from February 2, Washington confirms.
14. Indian Punchline: M.K. Bhadrakumar, Debris of INF treaty will fall far and wide.
15. Russian International Affairs Council: RIAC Forecast 2019-2024. [russiancouncil.ru/en/2019-globalgovernance]
16. Russian International Affairs Council: RIAC Forecast 2019-2024. Fyodor Lukyanov, #MEFIRST AGAINST STRATEGIC STABILITY. [russiancouncil.ru/en/2019-globalgovernance]
17. www.rt.com: Darius Shahtahmasebi, Trump wants out of NATO: A gift to Russia, or a gift to Germany? [rt.com/op-ed/449031-nato-trump-gift-russia/]
18. TASS: Izvestia: Progress on Kosovo expected at Putin-Vucic talks.
19. Intellinews.com: Serbia’s Vucic walks the line between Russia and the West.
20. Russian International Affairs Council: Ekaterina Entina and Dejan Novakovi, Negotiations on Kosovo 2019 – Opportunities and Limitations for Russia.
21. TASS: Poroshenko’s party lacks any candidate capable of winning upcoming election, notes expert.
22. The National Interest: Nikolas Gvosdev, Ukraine Wants to Be a Part of the West. But it’s strategy is yielding mixed results.
23. Kyiv Post: Nataliya Katser-Buchkovska, The Ukrainian Harvard team.
24. Dances With Bears: John Helmer, BRITISH GOVERNMENT DEMOLISHES SKRIPAL HOUSE, ROOF FALLS IN ON THERESA MAY AS EVIDENCE GROWS THAT SERGEI SKRIPAL POISONED HIMSELF BY ACCIDENT. [johnhelmer.net/british-government-demolishes-skripal-house-because-sergei-skripal-poisoned-himself-roof-falls-in-on-theresa-may/]
25. Washington Post: Lincoln Pigman, Behind Russia’s cyberwarfare lies a serious case of cyber-phobia.
26. Wired: Garrett Graff, TRUMP MUST BE A RUSSIAN AGENT; THE ALTERNATIVE IS TOO AWFUL. (excerpt)
27. Washington Post: Michael McFaul, Sorry, but Trump is not ‘tough on Russia’ The administration has taken some tough stances toward Moscow. Why does the president disavow them?
28. Ron Paul Institute: David Stockman, The New York Times Smears the President. (excerpt)
29. AP: Facebook Shuts Hundreds of Russia-Linked Pages, Accounts.
30. Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs: Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov’s remarks and answers to media questions at a news conference on the results of Russian diplomacy in 2018 Moscow, January 16, 2019.