RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents :: JRL 2019-#10 :: Wednesday, 16 January 2019
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2019-#10 :: Wednesday, 16 January 2019
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs. The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL Home: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
1. Moon of Alabama: Putin Asks And Trump Delivers – A List Of All The Good Things Trump Did For Russia. [moonofalabama.org/2019/01/putin-asks-and-trump-delivers-here-is-a-list-of-all-the-good-things-trump-did-for-russia.html]
2. Irrussianality: Paul Robinson, WORST SECRET AGENT EVER. [irrussianality.wordpress.com/2019/01/15/worst-secret-agent-ever/]
3. The Nation: David Foglesong, Here’s How Democratic Presidential Contenders Should (Not) Talk About Russia. Candidates gearing up for 2020 may be blazing new trails on domestic issues, but when it comes to engagement with Russia, they haven’t moved beyond the counterproductive status quo.
4. Government.ru: 10th Gaidar Forum. The main theme of the 2019 Gaidar Forum is Russia and the World: National Development Goals and Global Trends. (Medvedev speech)
5. TASS: Births will outnumber deaths in Russia by 2023, deputy PM predicts.
6. The Gaidar Forum – about the social triad: demography – employment – income. [en.gaidarforum.ru/news/the-gaidar-forum-about-the-social-triad-demography-employment-income/]
7. Intellinews.com: HEATMAP: IntelliNews Despair index. (excerpt re Belarus, Russia, and Ukraine)
8. Moscow Times: Official Data Vastly Underestimates Russian Emigration – Report.
9. Intellinews.com: Russian lawmakers amend criminal code to reduce pressure on social media activity.
10. Interfax: Russians spent more in 2018, set to cut expenses – poll.
11. www.rt.com: Sanctions? Russian economy to overtake Germany’s by 2020 – report.
12. Paul Goble: Ever More Russians Drawing Analogies between Russia Now and Russia in 1917, Kagarlitsky Says.
13. Moscow Times: Hopes and Fears in the Arts. What will 2019 bring.
14. AP: Kremlin derides allegations that Trump could work for Moscow.
15. Wall Street Journal: U.S.-Russia Nuclear-Arms Pact Moves Closer to Collapse. The treaty is one of few remaining arms-control agreements in place between the two nuclear powers.
16. Interfax: INF Treaty consultations in Geneva show U.S. seeking to disrupt strategic stability – Lavrov.
17. TASS: Nezavisimaya Gazeta: Amid looming US exit from INF, NATO aims for Russia’s underbelly.
18. Reuters: Russia’s Lavrov: We’re Not Rubbing Our Hands With Glee Over Brexit.
19. South China Morning Post: Why China and Russia are struggling to abandon the US dollar and forge a yuan-rouble deal. [scmp.com/economy/china-economy/article/2182192/why-china-and-russia-are-struggling-abandon-us-dollar-and]
20. Vedomosti: Pundits view difficulties of Russia-Japan peace treaty talks.
21. Asia Times: Pepe Escobar, Talk of Western intervention in the Black Sea is pure fantasy. Crimea is essential to Russia strategically and economically, but speculation over Ankara helping to boost the US presence in the Black Sea is far-fetched given Turkey’s energy deals with Moscow. [atimes.com/article/the-geopolitics-of-the-black-sea/]
22. TASS: ‘Orthodox Church of Ukraine’ project is purely political – Putin.
23. Vedomosti: Paper views ‘collapse’ of Moscow church policy towards Ukraine. (Fyodor Krasheninnikov)
24. www.strategic-culture.org: Dmitry Babich, Ukraine’s Cult of Stepan Bandera: Not a Detail, but a Cornerstone. [strategic-culture.org/news/2019/01/15/ukraine-cult-of-stepan-bandera-not-detail-but-cornerstone.html]
25. TASS: Izvestia: What are Trump’s chances of being impeached?
26. Washington Post: Mark Thiessen, Trump is surrounded by leakers. Why would he trust them with his Putin notes? Trump has repeatedly seen the classified details of conversations leak to the media.
27. Washington Examiner: Eddie Scarry, New York Times wasn’t always so suspicious of ‘secretive communications’ with Russia.
28. Washington Post: James Hohmann, The Daily 202: From Brexit to NATO and the shutdown, Putin is winning so much he might get tired of winning.
29. Consortiumnews.com: Ray McGovern, Russia-gate Evidence, Please. Was former FBI Director James Comey pulling a Hoover on Trump to keep him in line? [consortiumnews.com/2019/01/15/russia-gate-evidence-please/]
30. The Intercept: Glenn Greenwald, The FBI’s Investigation of Trump as a “National Security Threat” is Itself a Serious Danger. But J. Edgar Hoover Pioneered the Tactic.(excerpt)
31. Counterpunch.org: Binoy Kampmark, Dances of Disinformation: The Partisan Politics of the Integrity Initiative. [counterpunch.org/2019/01/16/dances-of-disinformation-the-partisan-politics-of-the-integrity-initiative-2/]