RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents :: JRL 2018-222 :: Monday, 31 December 2018
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at email@example.com
“Happy New Year!”
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2018-#222 :: Monday, 31 December 2018
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs. The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL Home: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
1. Russia Beyond: How to ring in the New Year like a Russian. [rbth.com/lifestyle/327047-celebrate-new-year-like-russian]
2. Kremlin.ru: Gala New Year event at the Bolshoi Theatre.
3. www.rt.com: Russians ask Father Frost for good health & peace, not money, in 2019.
4. TASS: Putin’s busy schedule for 2019.
5. Awful Avalanche: Putin’s New Year Greetings And Snubs. [awfulavalanche.wordpress.com/2018/12/31/putins-new-year-greetings-and-snubs/]
6. Moscow Times: Russia Outlaws Animal Cruelty.
7. CBC News (Canada): ‘We are new Russians’: How a hard-drinking nation curbed its alcohol use. Russia now ranks 14th in terms of alcohol consumption globally, and is comparable to France and Germany.
8. Voice of America: Is Russia Prosperous? Depends Whom You Ask.
9. RFE/RL: Steve Gutterman, Where’s Putin’s Mojo?
10. Paul Goble: Russian Opposition Lacks an Agenda Beyond Getting Rid of Putin, ‘Nezavisimaya gazeta’ Says.
11. Vedomosti: Russian editorial views attempts to restrict young people’s civil activity.
12. http://theduran.com: Tom Luongo, Stable Ruble Is The Key To Russia’s Survival.
13. New York Times: Stalin’s Soaring Moscow Towers Sorely Need Body Work.
14. Meduza: To be continued: Meduza follows up on the best investigative reports of 2018.
15. Raamop Rusland: Mark Galeotti, So who ‘won’ 2018?
16. AP: Putin scores some wins but tensions with the West mount.
17. Forbes.com: James Rodgers, Russia In 2019: Five Things To Watch.
18. Valdai Discussion Club: Timofei Bordachev, Russia in Asia and Eurasia in 2018.
19. Spiked-Onine.com: Tim Black, Russia-mania takes over the world. In 2018, there were few things Western elites didn’t blame on Russia.
20. www.rt.com: Danielle Ryan, Irony alert: Firm that warned Americans of Russian bots…was running an army of fake Russian bots.
21. Washington Post editorial: Is Russia about to invade Ukraine again? That may depend on Trump.