RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents :: JRL 2018-2 :: Wednesday, 3 January 2018
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at email@example.com
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2018-#2
Wednesday, 3 January 2018
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs
The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL homepage: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
Support JRL: russialist.org/funding.php – Donate Online: direct link
1. Daily Beast: David Axe, Where Will Russia Pick a Fight in 2018? After success in propping up Syria’s government, undermining Ukraine, and meddling with Western elections, look for Russia to dip into its same bag of tricks this year.
2. Russia Beyond: What do Russian astrologers foresee for 2018?
3. Meduza: A record number of Russians want to run for president this year, but Alexey Navalny’s candidacy is still a no-go.
4. Bloomberg; Henry Meyer, Putin’s Rival Can’t Run for President, But He’s Still a Threat. Did the Russian leader add to Alexey Navalny’s protest prowess by barring him from this year’s election?
5. Russia Insider: Gilbert Doctorow, Head of Russia’s Biggest Bank Predicts Geopolitical Catastrophe if West Escalates Sanctions. “The result would be a confrontation that would “make the Cold War look like child’s play.”
6. Financial Times: Gazprom gas exports to Europe rise 8% to new record.
7. Bloomberg: Russia-China Oil Friendship Makes Crude Costlier for Europe.
8. New York Times: A Diary From Inside the Gulag Meets Evil with Lightness.
9. Izvestia: Russian diplomat interviewed on relations with EU. (Vladimir Chizhov)
10. The National Interest: Lyle Goldstein, In Pursuit of an ‘Olympic Truce’ on the Korean Peninsula. The road to Pyongyang may well run through Moscow.
11. TASS: US should compete with DPRK in common sense, not nuclear buttons – Russian senator.
12. www.rt.com: McFaul denies endorsing call to kill Russian intel officers, apologizes for reposting fake video.
13. Sputnik: Ex-Spy Behind Clinton-Funded Trump Dossier Doubled Profits Last Year – Report.
14. New York Times: Glenn Simpson and Peter Fritsch, The Republicans’ Fake Investigations.
15. Washington Post: Fusion GPS fights back over dossier ‘conspiracy theories’
16. Washington Post: Republicans’ Steele dossier conspiracy theory was dealt a big blow this weekend.
17. Wall Street Journal: James Freeman, What If It’s True? Russia, the FBI, and the New York Times.
18. The Unz Review: Pat Buchanan, The Times Rides to Mueller’s Rescue.