RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents :: JRL 2018-196 :: Thursday, 8 November 2018
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at email@example.com
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2018-#196 :: Thursday, 8 November 2018
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs. The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL homepage: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
1. Wall Street Journal: In Russia, McDonald’s Serves Local Fries and a Side of Realpolitik. Promoting its use of area suppliers helps keep burger giant above U.S.-Kremlin tensions.
2. Intellinews.com: Domestic wellbeing key in making Russia great, say polls.
3. Bear Market Blog: Socio-economic inequality set to grow next year.
4. Paul Goble: Russians Now Want Social State and Democracy More than Military Might, Institute of Sociology Says.
5. Paul Goble: Kremlin Doesn’t Believe Putin and Regime are Less Popular than They Were, Stanovaya Says.
6. Dances With Bears: John Helmer, ANTI-COMMUNISM AS RUSSIA’S NATIONAL IDENTITY IS A ONE-EDGED SAW. [johnhelmer.net/anti-communism-as-russias-national-identity-is-a-one-edged-saw/#more-19989]
7. TASS: Izvestia: Monaco’s detention of Russian tycoon takes the spotlight.
8. Bloomberg: Leonid Bershidsky, There’s No Escape for Russian Billionaires. Dmitry Rybolovlev got rid of his Russian assets years ago, but that hasn’t guaranteed him a peaceful existence.
9. Bloomberg: Russian Oil May Gain a Lot by Giving a Little on OPEC U-Turn.
10. Wall Street Journal: Stealing Its Oil Customers, Russia Throws Iran a Lifeline-and Thumbs Its Nose at U.S. Russia “is playing all sides” by using barter to buy Iranian oil that is under sanctions and selling more of its own crude.
11. Interfax: Sanctions undermine int’l system, time bomb planted under WTO – Medvedev.
12. Sputnik: Hitting Where It Hurts: Why Russia, India and China Are Growing Non-Dollar Trade.
13. Irrussianality: Paul Robinson, THE LIBERAL INTERNATIONAL ORDER.
14. TASS: Izvestia: Washington’s November sanctions won’t isolate Russia, but may hit ruble.
15. TASS: Kommersant: Midterm election outcome to hamper Russian-US ties.
16. TASS: Russian diplomat sees no reason for swift improvement in relations with US.
17. New York Times: In Bipartisan Pleas, Experts Urge Trump to Save Nuclear Treaty With Russia.
18. TASS: Washington playing with the devil: Diplomat warns US against limited nuclear war strategy.
19. Russia Matters: Jon Wolfsthal, With Russia and the US, Nuclear Risks Never Go Out of Vogue.
20. Russia in Global Affairs: Glenn Diesen, How Russia’s Greater Eurasia Plan May Spell the End of EU-Centric Model. [eng.globalaffairs.ru/book/How-Russias-Greater-Eurasia-Plan-May-Spell-the-End-of-EU-Centric-Model-19815]
21. www.rt.com: ‘Go home!’ Ukrainian President Poroshenko calls for Russian Orthodox Church to be purged. [rt.com/news/443400-ukraine-poroshenko-orthodox-church/]
22. www.rt.com: ‘Brain diarrhea, gang of scum’: Ukrainian chief prosecutor loses it during parliament dressing down. [rt.com/rtmobile/news/latest/443370/html]
23. Consortiumnews.com: Dmitry Babich, Ukraine-Russia Tensions Rise in Church Row. With an apparent nod from the U.S., the Ecumenical Patriarch’s ruling from Istanbul severed 1000-year ties between Moscow and the Orthodox church in Ukraine, raising further tensions between Kiev and Moscow. [consortiumnews.com/2018/11/07/ukraine-russia-tensions-rise-in-church-row/]
24. www.rt.com: Ukraine’s neo-Nazis ‘believed’ to have trained US white supremacists – FBI.
25. www.rt.com: Simon Rite, 75,000 Russian expats spying in London? Their handlers’ workload must be a nightmare!
26. www.fff.org: Jacob Hornberger, DID THE RUSSIANS INFLUENCE MY VOTE?
27. The New Yorker: Andy Borowitz, Putin Loses Control of the House.
28. CNN.com: House Democrats plan to bring Russia back to the forefront.
29. Asia Times: Raja Murthy, Trump, Gorbachev and the fall of the American empire.