RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents :: JRL 2018-165 :: Tuesday, 11 September 2018
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2018-#165
Tuesday, 11 September 2018
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs. The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL homepage: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
Support JRL: russialist.org/funding.php – Donate Online: direct link
1. In Moscow’s Shadow: Mark Galeotti, Russia heading for the apocalypse? I think not.
2. Counterpunch.org: Dana Abizaid, Lifting Russia Off Its Knees.
3. The Unz Review: Anatoly Karlin, The Pensions Protests in Russia. [unz.com/akarlin/pensions-protests-in-russia/]
4. Interfax: Over 70 administrative protocols filed against parents of minors detained at St. Petersburg rally.
5. Carnegie Moscow Center: Denis Volkov, Why Putin Is Losing Popular Support.
6. Stratfor.com: Russia: Runoffs in Four Regional Races Reveal the Kremlin’s Vulnerability.
8. Meduza: New survey from state pollster says Russians’ fears of terrorism are at a record low.
9. The Unz Review: Anatoly Karlin, A Brief History of Russian Religiosity. [unz.com/akarlin/russian-religiosity/]
10. Russian and Eurasian Politics: Gordon Hahn, Is Putin Losing His Balance?
11. www.rt.com: National Guard commander challenges opposition figure Navalny to hand-to-hand fight. [rt.com/politics/438154-national-guard-navalny-duel/]
12. www.rt.com: Sell the dollar, buy the ruble – Russia’s economy ministry suggests.
13. Bloomberg: Aiming at Putin With Sanctions, U.S. May Hit Emerging World.
14. Forbes.com: Kenneth Rapoza, Trump’s Energy Secretary Heading To Moscow To Discuss More Energy Sanctions.
15. www.rt.com: Unpredictable geopolitical climate makes Russia-China ties more important – Xi Jinping.
16. Asia Times: Andrew Salmon, Putin’s big bang in the Russian Far East. Kremlin blends economics with power projection on Russia’s Pacific rim, its European borders and new Mediterranean front.
17. Asia Times: Giovanni Pigni, The view from Moscow? A powerful signal to the world. Russia’s 300,000-man drills firm relations with China, showcase arms and prove deployability across 7,000 kilometers of geography.
18. Russia Matters: Michael Kofman, Vostok-2018: Russia and China Signal Growing Military Cooperation. [https://russiamatters.org/analysis/vostok-2018-russia-and-china-signal-growing-military-cooperation]
19. Brookings: Steven Pifer, Want to improve relations with Russia? Here’s a START.
20. The Independent (UK): Robert Fisk, After warnings of mass murder and catastrophe in Idlib, I prowled the front lines for two days. I didn’t find what I’d expected. The only massed forces I came across were vast herds of sheep and, close to Aleppo, a string of camels. War might be coming, but not yet. (excerpt)
21. TASS: Filming of staged chemical attack in Syria’s Idlib begins, Russian top brass says.
22. Consortiumnews.com: Moscow Has Upped the Ante in Syria . As Syrian forces backed by Russia launch the final showdown in Syria against jihadist extremists in Idlib province, the potential for a U.S.-Russia confrontation has never been greater, as VIPS warns in this memo to the president.
23. TASS: Kommersant: Russia-US ‘hybrid’ war dons religious face in Ukraine.
24. The American Conservative: Ted Galen Carpenter, Washington Quietly Increases Lethal Weapons to Ukraine. Critics who say Trump is being “soft on Russia” should be paying attention to this. [https://www.theamericanconservative.com/articles/washington-quietly-increases-lethal-weapons-to-ukraine/]
25. Awful Avalanche: Zakharchenko Assassination – Part III. [Text with links and other parts: https://awfulavalanche.wordpress.com/2018/09/11/zakharchenko-assassination-part-iii/]
26. RUSI: Emily Ferris, Russia Unlikely to Walk Away from Ukraine Agreements, but Tense Times Lie Ahead. [https://rusi.org/commentary/russia-unlikely-walk-away-ukraine-agreements-tense-times-lie-ahead]
27. Facebook: Fred Weir, Maria Butina.
28. The Weekly Standard: Reuel Marc Gerecht, Russia’s Hacks. Exaggerating the threat from Moscow. https://www.weeklystandard.com/reuel-marc-gerecht/russias-hacks
29. Politico.eu: Ben Schreckinger, Tinder woes and snarky bosses: Young and Russian in DC. Washington’s young émigré crowd is beginning to feel like they’re living in a spy novel. And they’re the bad guys.