RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents :: JRL 2018-149 :: Tuesday, 14 August 2018
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2018-#149
Tuesday, 14 August 2018
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs. The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL homepage: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
Support JRL: russialist.org/funding.php – Donate Online: direct link
1. Rossiyskaya Gazeta: New sanctions seen part of US elite’s anti-Russian hysteria.
2. City Journal (New York): Paul Starobin, Looking West from Red Square. A journey to Moscow to discover what Russians really think of America.
3. Intellinews.com: Russia to increase oil production to new record highs in 2019.
4. Russian and Eurasian Politics: Gordon Hahn, We Too: Russian Borrowing from, Imitation of, and Payback to the West.
5. Nigel Gould-Davies: BOFIT Policy Brief: Assessing Western sanctions.
6. Council on Foreign Relations: Benn Steil and Benjamin Della Rocca, Did Russia Really Dump Its U.S. Debt?
7. www.rt.com: Senior Russian senator warns US politicians about dangers of exceptionalism doctrine.
8. Financial Times: Eugene Rumer, Opposition to Nord Stream 2 makes no sense for America or Europe. Fears of Russian domination through gas sales ignore earlier pipeline projects.
9. Forbes.com: Charles Wallace, Are Russia and China Trying to Kill The Dollar?
10. www.rt.com: US and allies violating INF Treaty, says senior Russian diplomat.
11. Interfax: U.S. may increase technological advantage with increased defense budget – expert. (Alexei Arbatov)
12. Forbes.com: Kenneth Rapoza, Senate’s ‘Kremlin Crusher’ Means Get Out Of Russia Now.
13. Financial Times: Russia tries to win hearts and minds with aid in Syria. Moscow is becoming increasingly involved in humanitarian operations in war-torn country.
14. The National Interest: Chuck Freilich, In the Middle East the Russians Aren’t Coming: They Are Back. And they are likely to stay.
15. Oilprice.com: Is This The Most Important Geopolitical Deal Of 2018?. (Caspian Sea agreement)
16. Intellinews.com: Ben Aris, Smallprint shows Caspian Sea summit was not the ‘summit to end all summits’
17. Valdai Discussion Club: Bulat Sultanov, CASPIAN СONVENTION IS SIGNED, BUT WHAT ARE ITS POTENTIAL PITFALLS?
18. Eurasianet.org: Alexander Morrison, On the importance of being Soviet. The mixture of people you find in Kazakhstan testifies to one of the Soviet Union’s most enduring legacies.
19. Awful Avalanche: “In the Language of Putin” – Ukraine’s Policy of Forced Assimilation – Part I. [awfulavalanche.wordpress.com/2018/08/13/in-the-language-of-putin-ukraines-policy-of-forced-assimilation-part-i/]
20. Awful Avalanche: “In the Language of Putin” – Ukraine’s Policy of Forced Assimilation – Part II. [awfulavalanche.wordpress.com/2018/08/14/in-the-language-of-putin-ukraines-policy-of-forced-assimilation-part-ii/]
21. Sic Semper Tyannis: America’s Persistent Russia Delusion by Publius Tacitus.[turcopolier.typepad.com/sic_semper_tyrannis/2018/08/americas-persistent-russia-delusion-by-publius-tacitus.html#more]
22. Consortiumnews.com: Patrick Lawrence, ‘Too Big to Fail’: Russia-gate One Year After VIPS Showed a Leak, Not a Hack . One year later, the VIPS memo contending that the DNC emails were leaked and not hacked has yet to be successfully challenged. Meanwhile, the country sinks deeper into the morass of the new McCarthyism [consortiumnews.com/2018/08/13/too-big-to-fail-russia-gate-one-year-after-vips-showed-a-leak-not-a-hack/]
23. The New Yorker: Joshua Yaffa, How Bill Browder Became Russia’s Most Wanted Man. The hedge-fund manager has offered a fable for why the West should confront Putin.
24. Consortiumnews.com: Robert Parry, Guardians of the Magnitsky Myth. Exclusive: In pursuit of Russia-gate, the U.S. mainstream media embraces any attack on Russia and works to ensure that Americans don’t hear the other side of the story, as with the Magnitsky myth. [consortiumnews.com/2017/10/28/guardians-of-the-magnitsky-myth/]
25. The Unz Review: Philip Geraldi, Is Bill Browder the Most Dangerous Man in the World? The darling of the war party needs to answer some questions.
26. The Kremlin Stooge: Mark Chapman, Sergei Magnitsky, Bill Browder, Hermitage Capital Management and Wondrous Metamorphoses.
27. Foxnews.com: William Courtney, Here’s How Russia Will Try to Interfere in the 2018 Elections.
28. The New York Review of Books: Michael Weiss, What Russia Understands about Trump.
29. William Hill: New Book: No Place for Russia: European Security Institutions Since 1989.