RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents :: JRL 2018-141 :: Wednesday, 1 August 2018
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2018-#141
Wednesday, 1 August 2018
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs. The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL homepage: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
Support JRL: russialist.org/funding.php – Donate Online: direct link
1. Russia Beyond: These 35 bizarre photos are the most Russian things ever. [rbth.com/lifestyle/328847-russia-bizarre-photos]
2. Valdai Discussion Club: Timofei Bordachev, WORLD POLITICS GETTING ROUGH THIS SUMMER. The world as we see it today it is not a sheet of glass resembling the sea on which commodities together with ideas sail along without a hitch. It is rather an unpredictable stormy ocean that does not have mercy on anyone and does not give anyone a break. [valdaiclub.com/a/highlights/world-politics-this-summer/]
3. American Committee for East-West Accord: Stephen F. Cohen Debates Max Boot on CNN.
4. Russia Beyond: Henry Kissinger: ‘At critical junctures Russia has saved the world’s equilibrium’ [rbth.com/lifestyle/328867-henry-kissinger-on-russia]
5. Levada.ru: Putin’s approval rating falls to five-year low, poll suggests.
6. Moscow Times: Russians’ Willingness to Protest is Highest in 2 Decades, Survey Says.
7. www.rt.com: 3 prominent Russian journalists killed in Central African Republic.
8. TASS: Kommersant: Three Russian reporters murdered in Central Africa Republic amid nationwide crime wave.
9. Valdai Discussion Club: Feng Shaolei, THE EVOLUTION OF SINO-RUSSIAN RELATIONSHIP: A PERSPECTIVE FROM THE MEETING BETWEEN XI JINPING AND VLADIMIR PUTIN.
10. Bloomberg: Hal Brands, Trump Can’t Split Russia From China – Yet. As Beijing gets stronger, there may be hope for a Kissingerian maneuver.
11. Bloomberg: Leonid Ragozin, Four Years After Its Revolution, Ukraine Is Still a Mess. Lingering corruption and a lagging economy contributed to the country’s stalled reforms.
12. gilbertdoctorow.com: Gilbert Doctorow, Republic of Latvia, Apartheid State within the EU. [gilbertdoctorow.com/2018/07/31/republic-of-latvia-apartheid-state-within-the-eu/]
13. The Blog Mire: Rob Slane, The Salisbury Poisonings: Time for a Review of the Official Timeline. [theblogmire.com/the-salisbury-poisonings-time-for-a-review-of-the-official-timeline/]
14. New York Times editorial: Russia Attacks America’s Election System. Trump Shrugs. The midterms are approaching, and the president has yet to get serious about protecting the nation’s electoral system from cyberinvasion.
15. Politico.eu: Alex Finley, It’s easier for Russia to recruit Americans today than it was during the Cold War.
16. Wall Street Journal: Thomas Baker, What Are the FBI and CIA Hiding? The agency might have led the bureau down a rabbit hole in the 2016 Trump counterintelligence probe.
17. The American Conservative: Peter Van Buren, Donald Trump is Not the ‘Manchurian Candidate.’ But the establishment blob is looking a lot like the new McCarthyism.
18. Russian International Affairs Council: Oleg Shakirov, “Russian Propaganda”: On Social Networks, in Eastern Europe, and Soon Everywhere. [russiancouncil.ru/en/analytics-and-comments/analytics/russian-propaganda-on-social-networks-in-eastern-europe-and-soon-everywhere/]