RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents :: JRL 2018-139 :: Monday, 30 July 2018
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at email@example.com
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2018-#139
Monday, 30 July 2018
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs. The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL homepage: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
Support JRL: russialist.org/funding.php – Donate Online: direct link
1. Facebook: Michael McFaul, Putin’s harassment of me.
2. Intellinews.com: Chris Weafer, Russia’s August angst.
3. The National Interest: Lyle Goldstein, How Dangerous Is Putin’s Russia? A sober look at the Russian threat is necessary.
4. Russian International Affairs Council: Alexei Fenenko, New Mobilization?
5. TASS: Russia’s electoral chief backs referendum on retirement age, notes wording is crucial.
6. Forbes.com: Kenneth Rapoza, Russian Commies Try Staging A Comeback.
7. Bear Market Brief: Alex Nice, Pension Reform.
8. www.rt.com: Russian opposition leaders launch campaign for two-party parliamentary system.
9. The National Interest: Paul Saunders, U.S.-Russia Summitry Is at Center Stage Again. If the Kremlin wants a less hostile United States, then its leaders may do well to spend considerably more time assessing the predictable consequences of Russia’s actions.
10. Rossiyskaya Gazeta: Russian daily views US, West elites ‘angry reacton’ to Helsinki summit. (Sergei Karaganov)
11. Rossiyskaya Gazeta: Daily looks at Trump’s attitude towards Putin, Russia. (Leonid Radzikhovskiy)
12. The National Interest: Ted Galen Carpenter, Russia Is Not the Soviet Union. Today’s Russia is weak and not an existential threat. The messianic, superpower of the USSR was.
13. The Nation: Nadezhda Azhgikhina, Russia’s ‘Beloved’ President. The Russian political class has come to love Trump wholeheartedly, and are happy to share this love with the whole country.
14. Wall Street Journal: Russia Plans Oil Boost Amid Supply Uncertainties, Pressure From Trump. The move could signal the ‘slow death’ of a deal between OPEC and other major producers, officials say.
15. Y!2B (Yes-to-Business): Paul Goncharoff, UK’s Guardian still unenlightened about Russia. [Text with links https://www.yes-to-business.com/uks-guardian-still-unenlightened-about-russia/]
16. Indian Punchline: M K Bhadrakumar, US-Russia-China triangle in flux, again.
17. The Blog Mire: Rob Slane, The Salisbury Poisonings: 10 Questions for the Authorities to Answer About Their Handling of This Case.
18. Daily Shocker: Pesky Questions About Dawn Sturgess And That Deadly Novichok.
19. Townhall.com: Bruce Bialosky, Russian Phobia Hides Our Biggest Adversary – China.
20. The New Yorker: Andy Horowitz, Trump Family Flees to Moscow.
21. Newsweek.com: Jeff Stein, HOW VLADIMIR PUTIN WILL TAKE DOWN DONALD TRUMP WHEN HE’S NO LONGER USEFUL.
22. Washington Post: Anne Applebaum, Maria Butina is just the tip of the Russia iceberg.
23. Off Guardian: Tony Kevin, America’s latest witch-hunt.
24. Wall Street Journal: Kimberley Strassel, Devin Nunes, Washington’s Public Enemy No. 1. What did the FBI do in the 2016 campaign? The head of the House inquiry on what he has found-and questions still unanswered.
25. AP: Russia to play minor role, if any, in Paul Manafort trial.
26. Washington Post editorial: No, it wasn’t some hacker on a bed someplace. The Russia case opens a window on state-driven cyberconflict.
27. Kremlin.ru: News conference following BRICS summit.
28. www.rt.com: A millennium of Christianity: What makes Russian Orthodoxy unique?
[Text with photos https://www.rt.com/news/434501-russian-orthodox-christian-church/]
29. Kremlin.ru: 1030th anniversary of Baptism of Rus celebrations.
30. Politico.eu: Russian Orthodox Church a ‘national security threat’ to Ukraine, says president.
31. Awful Avalanche: Moscow Celebrates Baptism, Rejects Autocephaly – Part I.
[Part II: https://awfulavalanche.wordpress.com/2018/07/29/moscow-celebrates-baptism-rejects-autocephaly-part-ii/]
[Part III: https://awfulavalanche.wordpress.com/2018/07/30/moscow-celebrates-baptism-rejects-autocephaly-part-iii/]
32. Facebook: Ivan Katchanovski, Maidan shootings.
33. www.voltairenet.org: Sergei Khrushchev, Crimea: whose land is this?
34. Russian and Eurasian Politics: Gordon Hahn, REPORT, Part 1: What Is Post-Sovietness (Or Kakaya raznitsa in Post-Sovietistan)? (excerpt) [Full text: gordonhahn.com/2018/07/30/report-part-1-what-is-post-sovietness-or-kakaya-raznitsa-in-post-sovietistan/]
35. Russia Insider: Alex Krainer, Russia’s 1990s: The Transition Which Took 5 Million Lives. [Text with links: russia-insider.com/en/russias-1990s-transition-which-took-5-million-lives/ri24347]
36. https://gilbertdoctorow.com: Gilbert Doctorow, FIFA World Cup, Russia 2018: an appreciation. [gilbertdoctorow.com/2018/07/30/fifa-world-cup-russia-2018-an-appreciation/]
37. Moscow Times: Amazon Getting Ready to Launch “The Romanoffs”