RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents :: JRL 2018-127 :: Thursday, 12 July 2018
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at email@example.com
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2018-#127
Thursday, 12 July 2018
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs. The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL homepage: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
Support JRL: russialist.org/funding.php – Donate Online: direct link
1. www.rt.com: Most Russians want Moscow to treat West as partners – opinion poll.
2. TASS: Nezavisimaya Gazeta: Putin-Trump summit: expectations and concerns.
3. Russian International Affairs Council: Wolfgang Ischinger, Igor Ivanov, Sam Nunn, and Desmond Browne, How to Reduce Nuclear Risks in Helsinki.
4. The Nation: Stephen Cohen, Summitgate and the Campaign vs. ‘Peace.’ Not surprisingly, Trump’s meetings with NATO and Putin are being portrayed as ominous events by Russiagaters.
5. Washington Post editorial: Trump is poisoning NATO. Why?
6. The Independent (UK): Germans want Donald Trump to pull US troops out of Germany, poll finds.
7. www.rt.com: NATO summit day 1: Divided alliance unites against Russia, as US demands immediate contributions. [rt.com/news/432821-nato-summit-trump-germany-russia/]
8. The Nation: Michael Klare, What Trump’s Critics Are Missing About the NATO Summit. His nutty antics, as usual, dominate the headlines – while very little is being said about the alliance’s actual role in the world.
9. Reuters: Trump, Putin May Agree to Resume Stalled Arms Control Talks.
10. Washington Times: Edward Lozansky, James Jatras and Gilbert Doctorow, Trump-Putin Summit in Helsinki: The Triumph of Common Sense.
11. Stephen Cimbala: Arms Control and the Trump-Putin Summit.
12. Russia Insider: Excellent Russian Analysis of Upcoming Trump – Putin Helsinki Meeting from Russian TV’s New York Correspondent. (Vesti) [Vesti.ru news video https://russia-insider.com/en/politics/excellent-russian-analysis-upcoming-trump-putin-helsinki-meeting-russian-tvs-new-york]
13. TASS: Poll: Team Russia’s World Cup performance evoked pride, joy and respect from Russians.
14. The Guardian (UK): Shaun Walker, Will the World Cup finally change how Russia is portrayed? Russia’s bad press is largely of its own making – for years, it has been easier for officials to bray about Russophobia than to show a different side of the country.
15. Paul Goble: Pension Fight Highlights Russia’s Fundamental Problem – Its Government, Gontmakher Says.
16. Bear Market Brief: MinEkonomiki offers plan to help small businesses.
17. Intellinews.com: Russia on course for the biggest trade surplus since 2011 this year.
18. www.rt.com: Russia wins Macro World Cup – Bank of America.
19. TASS: Nord Stream 2 hopes project won’t be vulnerable to politics.
20. www.rt.com: If ‘everyone’ has good relations with Russia, Nord Stream may be ‘less of a problem’ – Trump to NATO.
21. Forbes.com: The U.S. Spends Billions Annually On Russian Oil.
22. www.rt.com: Middle East officials flocking to Moscow – is there a big deal to be made before Putin meets Trump?
23. Newsweek.com: WHAT DOES U.S. EVEN WANT IN SYRIA? RUSSIA ASKS, SAYS AMERICANS MUST BE JUST AS CONFUSED.
24. The American Conservative: John Dale Grover, Admitting Ukraine Into NATO Would Be a Fool’s Errand. The United States can’t be the world’s democracy crusader, especially when the stakes are nuclear. [Text with links http://www.theamericanconservative.com/articles/admitting-ukraine-into-nato-would-be-a-fools-errand/]
25. Interfax: NASA may ask Russia for additional Soyuz seats due to delayed U.S. ships’ certification – source.
26. Mother Jones: David Corn, While America Sleeps: Trump’s Treachery and the Russia Scandal. With a summit ahead, Trump works with Putin to cover up Moscow’s attack on the US. [motherjones.com/politics/2018/07/while-america-sleeps-trumps-treachery-and-the-russia-scandal/]
27. National Public Radio (NPR): Tim Mak, Russian Influence Campaign Sought To Exploit Americans’ Trust In Local News.
28. The Unz Review: Hunter DeRensis, Challenging Chait’s Paradigm. (excerpt) [Full text: www.unz.com/article/challenging-chaits-paradigm/]
29. Antiwar.com: Justin Raimondo, Are the Russia-gate Fanatics Crazy, Or Just Cynical?
[Text with links: original.antiwar.com/justin/2018/07/11/are-the-russia-gate-fanatics-crazy-or-just-cynical/]
30. Real News Network: Growing Up in the USSR – RAI with A. Buzgalin (1/12). Prof. Alexander Buzgalin joins Paul Jay on Reality Asserts Itself; born two years after the death of Stalin, he talks about growing up in the Soviet Union. [therealnews.com/stories/growing-up-in-the-ussr-rai-with-a-buzgalin-1-12]
31. Viable Opposition: The United States and Russia – Propaganda is a Two-Way Street.
[Text with graphics: viableopposition.blogspot.com/2018/06/the-united-states-and-russia-propaganda.html]
32. Washington Post: Anton Troianovski, BRANDING PUTIN. How the Kremlin turned the Russian president into a global icon.