RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents :: JRL 2016-95 :: Thursday, 26 May 2016
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2016-#95
Thursday, 26 May 2016
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs
The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or the George Washington University.
JRL homepage: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
Support JRL: russialist.org/funding.php – Donate Online: direct link
1. The Conversation: Richard Sakwa, West could sleepwalk into a Doomsday war with Russia – it’s time to wake up.
2. www.rt.com: Putin tops Russians’ trust ratings with 80% support.
3. US-Russia Business Council: Putin Convenes His Economic Council To Discuss Source Of Growth.
4. Kremlin.ru: Meeting of the Economic Council Presidium.
5. Intellinews.com: Ben Aris, MOSCOW BLOG: Putin launches his grand reform agenda ‘Plan K’
6. Stratfor.com: The Russian Economic Revolution That Never Was.
7. Russia Direct: Russia needs a bold new plan to reverse the brain drain. RD Interview: Artem Oganov, a professor from Skolkovo Institute of Science and Technology, explains how Russia’s National Technological Initiative might contribute to reversing the nation’s brain drain.
8. Kremlin.ru: Meeting with French business community representatives.
9. www.rt.com: ‘Russia & EU at crossroads’: Putin touts equality, genuine partnership ahead of Greece visit.
10. www.rt.com: Alexander Yakovenko, Primaries – a new practice in Russian political process.
11. Rethinking Russia: The Electoral Agenda Still Contains a Major Issue of Civil Control Over Elections. (Leonid Polyakov)
12. TASS: Over half of Russia’s budget revenues in 2015 came from non-oil sources.
13. US-Russia Business Council: Siluanov: U.S. Put “Unprecedented Pressure” On Banks Over Russia’s Eurobond.
14. Moscow Times: Was Russia’s First Bond Sale in 3 Years a Success?
15. TASS: Russian Finance Ministry not to give up task on budget deficit reduction.
16. Intellinews.com: Chris Weafer, Busy June means Russia risk premium to change.
17. The Observer (New York): Is Syria Another Afghanistan for Russia? ISIS intends to force Russia into another costly quagmire like its miserable failure in Afghanistan (1979-1989).
18. Russia Direct: Russia and NATO: The return of the Cold War model of confrontation. RD Interview: Russia’s Ambassador to NATO, Alexander Grushko, explains why we should expect a worsening trend in Russia-NATO relations as long as European security is viewed in Cold War terms.
19. Forbes.com: Doug Bandow, NATO Assesses Ukraine And Invites Montenegro: Who’s Afraid Of Vladimir Putin?
20. The Nation: Stephen Cohen, Beyond Cold War to Mobilization for War Against Russia? The large-scale US-NATO amassing of military force on Russia’s Western borders, NATO’s “Eastern Front,” is unprecedented and creates the impression of preparation for actual war.
21. Moscow Times: James Sherr, Taking War Seriously: Russia-NATO Showdown No Longer Just Fiction.
22. The National Interest: Roger McDermott, The Illusion of Russian Military Might.
23. Cynthia Roberts: Re #93/Olga Oliker, “No, Russia Isn’t Trying to Make Nuclear War Easier”
24. Sputnik: The Space Race is History: NASA Burns Billions, Relies on Russia for Basics.
25. Interfx-Ukraine: Ukrainian Security Service confirms imposing 5-year entry ban on Gorbachev.
26. TASS: Analyst says Poroshenko ruined Ukraine’s sovereignty, economy. (Ruslan Bortnik)
27. The Unz Review: Anatoly Karlin, Inconvenient Fact: 78% of DNR Fighters in 2014 Were Ukrainian Citizens.
28. www.rt.com: Villain or hero? The many faces of Nadezhda Savchenko.
29. Interfax-Ukraine: We will return Crimea and Donbas, as we’ve returned Savchenko – Poroshenko.
30. UNIAN (Kyiv): Kremlin says supports Poroshenko’s wish “to return Donbas”
31. www.opendemocracy.net: Tymofiy Mylovanov, What is causing the conflict in Ukraine? Understanding the economic roots of rebellion in eastern Ukraine suggests that the resolution to the crisis must address restoring economic and political justice.
32. Facebook: Ivan Katchanovski, Release of Aidar Fighter.
33. Newsweek.com: UKRAINIAN NATIONALIST VOLUNTEERS COMMITTING ‘ISIS-STYLE’ WAR CRIMES.
34. UN.org: Citing obstruction, UN torture prevention panel suspends Ukraine visit.
35. RFE/RL: Brian Whitmore, Ukraine’s New Hope.