RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents & links :: JRL 2020-#86 :: Monday, 11 May 2020
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at email@example.com
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2020-#86 :: Monday, 11 May 2020
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs. The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL Home: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
1. Asia Times: The Russian Front: Top 10 War Films. On the 75th anniversary of World War II’s end, Asia Times examines the war through film – the war not covered by Hollywood.
2. Russia Beyond: Top 10 Russian WWII movies as voted by Russians themselves – rbth.com/arts/332154-top-russian-wwii-movies
3. www.rt.com: Diana Bruk, For many Russians, Victory Day isn’t about politics or patriotism – rt.com/op-ed/488189-russians-victory-day-personal-memory/
4. TASS: Russian people have no need of propaganda to preserve historical memory, says Putin.
5. Wall Street Journal: Putin Marks Victory Day Amid Pandemic With Muted Celebration. In televised address, Russian leader made no mention of the coronavirus that shelved a planned 75th anniversary parade.
6. www.rt.com: George Szamuely, United States officially REWROTE history this V-day when it IGNORED Soviet Union’s role in defeating Nazism – rt.com/news/426129-ww2-revisionist-history-poland/
7. The New Kremlin Stooge: Mark Chapman, It’s Their Party, and We’ll Laugh if We Want To. [Text with links and comments thenewkremlinstooge.wordpress.com/2020/05/08/its-their-party-and-well-laugh-if-we-want-to/#more-744]
8. Moscow Times: Putin Eases Nationwide Virus Lockdown as Russia Becomes 3rd Most-Infected Country.
9. Meduza: ‘It’s dangerous to run ahead, but we can’t sit back’ . Russia’s ‘non-working’ days are over, kind of. A brief retelling of Putin’s fifth coronavirus address.
10. Kremlin.ru: Meeting on sanitary and epidemiological situation – en.kremlin.ru/events/president/transcripts/63340
11. Russian and Eurasian Politics: Gordon Hahn, Russia’s Crisis Policy.
12. The National Interest: Stratfor, Why Russia’s Anti-Coronavirus Economic Measures Will Backfire. Can Moscow find a way to recover?
13. TASS: Russian government to prepare economic recovery plan by June 1.
14. Forbes: Kenneth Rapoza,At Long Last, Russia Nears Peak Coronavirus.
15. Bloomberg: WHO Sees Russia Pandemic Stabilizing as Total Cases Hit 200,000.
16. Facebook: Fred Weir, Re “Nursing homes, veterans’ homes are epicenters of Covid-19”
17. Moscow Times: Russia Is Boasting About Low Coronavirus Deaths. The Numbers Are Deceiving. Increasing transparency by Russian officials shows that 233% more coronavirus-positive patients died in at least two regions than reported in the total count. But the country stands by its classification method.
18. No Yardstick: András Tóth-Czifra, How to read Putin’s ratings.
19. Intellinews.com: Ben Aris, Russia’s amazing levitating ruble. Oil prices have halved in value in April, but Russia’s ruble only lost 17% against the dollar. What is holding the value of the ruble up?
20. Asia Times: Dmitriy Frolovskiy, Pandemic sparks philanthropy among Russia’s super-rich. Non-state charity has never been significant in Russia, but the Covid-19 crisis appears to have shifted the ultra-wealthy into action.
21. Financial Times: How Tatyana Bakalchuk took Russia’s ecommerce throne. Woman who shook up country’s business establishment faces up to pandemic challenge.
22. Valdai Discussion Club: Andrey Sushentsov, The World Will Be the Same: What Won’t Change After the Pandemic – valdaiclub.com/a/highlights/the-world-will-be-the-same-what-won-t-change-after/
23. Arabnews.com: Hafed Al-Ghwell, Putin may be rethinking why Russia is in Syria.
24. AP: Ukraine’s Hospitals Under Strain, Even With Few Virus Cases.
25. Intellinews.com: After a year in office Zelenskiy is still struggling to end the Donbas conflict. The frontline in the Donbas conflict has stabilized, but peace seems as far away as ever.
26. www.rt.com: Western journalists & politicians MOCK Russian doctors driven to suicide by Covid-19 pressures – rt.com/op-ed/488207-western-journalists-mock-russian-doctors-covid/
27. The Federalist: Obama Defense Official Evelyn Farkas Admitted She Lied On MSNBC About Having Evidence Of Collusion. ‘I didn’t know anything.”
28. Wall Street Journal: Holman Jenkins, What the FBI Coverup Is Covering Up. The unraveling Mike Flynn conviction ought to have reporters revisiting James Comey’s 2016 role.
29. Consortiumnews: Ray McGovern, New House Documents Sow Further Doubt That Russia Hacked the DNC . For two and a half years the House Intelligence Committee knew CrowdStrike didn’t have the goods on Russia. Now the public knows too. Twin Pillars of Russiagate Crumble – consortiumnews.com/2020/05/09/ray-mcgovern-new-house-documents-sow-further-doubt-that-russia-hacked-the-dnc/
[DJ: See also “So How DID the DNC Emails Get to WikiLeaks?” – raymcgovern.com/2020/05/11/so-how-did-the-dnc-emails-get-to-wikileaks/]