RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents & links :: JRL 2020-#83 :: Wednesday, 6 May 2020
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at email@example.com
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2020-#83 :: Wednesday, 6 May 2020
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs. The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL Home: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
1. Reuters: Putin’s Rating Dips to Low, but Poll Shows Rising Support for Extending Rule.
2. TASS: Kremlin raises doubts over Levada Center’s polls on Putin’s ratings.
3. TASS: Vedomosti: Half of Russians ready to back constitutional amendments.
4. www.rt.com: Growth in Moscow’s Covid-19 cases due to increased testing, not spread – deputy mayor.
5. Reuters: Putin Warns Against Hurrying to Lift Coronavirus-Related Restrictions.
6. Wall Street Journal: In Russia, Putin Wrestles With Economic Impact of Coronavirus. What was tipped to be marquee year for Kremlin leader has turned into one of toughest challenges of his 20-year reign.
7. TASS: Vedomosti: Russian economy will survive at $10 oil price, vows finance minister.
8. Intellinews.com: Russian unemployment could top 10% if lockdown lasts more than a month.
9. TASS: Izvestia: Russian business activity to return to normal within two years.
10. Interfax: Arrears now main threat for production chains in Russian economy – Belousov.
11. Intellinews.com: Ben Aris, Rencap marks Russia up to Buy. The thing with equity market crashes is they are always followed by equity market recoveries.
12. New York Times: A ‘Breakdown of Trust’: Pandemic Corrodes Church-State Ties in Russia. Even as the monasteries of the Orthodox Church are besieged by the coronavirus, apocalyptic-minded priests balk at state restrictions on public worship.
13. The Tablet (UK): Mary Dejevsky, Could the virus bring down Putin?
14. The American Interest: Lilia Shevtsova, WHAT NEXT? TWO SCENARIOS. The Coronavirus Test for Russia . Coronavirus has exposed the inadequacies of Russia’s top-down system. Here are a couple of scenarios for how it will fare in the months ahead.
15. Oilprice.com: Why Russia Finally Accepted Deeper Oil Output Cuts.
16. Forbes: Is The U.S. Using Sanctions To Elbow Russia Out Of The European Natural Gas Market?
17. Meduza: Pulitzer Prize winning ‘New York Times’ articles criticized for ‘Russophobic fabrications’ and repeating Russian journalists’ findings.
18. Valdai Discussion Club: Timofei Bordachev, International Institutions and the Challenge of the First Pandemic War – valdaiclub.com/a/highlights/international-institutions-and-the-challenge/
19. www.strategic-culture.org: Brian Cloughley, Why Keep On Confronting? – strategic-culture.org/news/2020/05/05/why-keep-on-confronting/
20. www.rt.com: US to agree to PACT with ‘like-minded’ nations on space mining, ‘safety zones’ on Moon, sidelining Russia – report – rt.com/news/487868-moon-mining-safe-zones-pact/
21. Reuters: Ukraine Faces Deepening Recession Due to Coronavirus Lockdown: Reuters Poll.
22. New York Times: Obama Says G.O.P.’s Biden Inquiry Promotes ‘Russian Disinformation’
23. Sic Semper Tyrannis: Larry Johnson, Michael Flynn Did Not Lie, He Was Framed by The FBI – turcopolier.typepad.com/sic_semper_tyrannis/2020/05/01-december-2017-mueller-charges-against-flynn-exonerate-trump-of-russian-collusion-by-larry-johnson-the-news-of-mike-flynn.html#more