RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents & links :: JRL 2019-#67 :: Friday, 19 April 2019
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2019-#67 :: Friday, 19 April 2019
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs. The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL Home: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
1. Carnegie Moscow Center: Alexandra Prokopenko, Russia’s Sovereign Internet Law Will Kill Innovation. The Kremlin’s domestic policy bloc increasingly tries to run Russia as a corporation. It’s not surprising, therefore, that they have resorted to typical corporate methods in the field of Internet control, electing to use deep packet inspection (DPI) technology, which is not employed at a national level anywhere else in the world.
2. Intellinews.com: The share of Russians who consider themselves middle class down from 60% to half.
4. Russia Beyond: Why do Russians endure harassment but do not fear it? – rbth.com/lifestyle/330243-why-russians-endure-harassment
5. TASS: Kommersant: US ignores Russia’s initiative for joint statement on prevention of nuclear war.
6. AP: Ukraine Candidates: Experience vs Image
7. TASS: About 80% of knocked out candidates’ supporters to vote for Zelensky, says expert.
8. Irrussianality: Paul Robinson, PEACE CANDIDATE? (re Ukraine) – irrussianality.wordpress.com/2019/04/18/peace-candidate/
9. Facebook: Ivan Katchanovski, Zelensky.
10. Foreign Policy: Alexander Baunov, Putin Should Fear Ukraine’s Russia-Friendly Front-Runner. The Kremlin will soon wish it were still dealing with a Ukrainian president who so much resembled its own.
11. www.rt.com: Russian fuel embargo could lead to collapse of Ukraine’s economy, oil major warns.
12. Reuters: Putin ally to Ukraine’s probable new leader: Do deal and get territory back.
13. The National Interest: What a Volodymyr Zelensky Ukrainian Presidency Would Look Like. Doug Bandow sits down with Ivan Bakanov, Zelensky’s chief of staff and party head, to talk about the way forward.
14. Russia Matters: Trump and Russia: ‘Quid Pro Quo’ or Quid Pro Talk?
15. National Public Radio (NPR): Former U.S. Ambassador To Russia Discusses Findings Of Mueller Report. (Michael McFaul)
16. Washington Post editorial: The Mueller report is the opposite of exoneration.
17. Moon of Alabama: First Thoughts On The Mueller Report Release. – – moonofalabama.org/2019/04/the-report-pdf-by-special-counsel-robert-mueller-is-out-russiagaters-will-now-try-to-find-any-word-in-there-they-might-u.html#more
18. www.rt.com: Mueller report takes ‘Russian meddling’ for granted, offers no actual evidence. – rt.com/usa/456960-mueller-report-russian-meddling/
19. Consortiumnews.com: Daniel Lazare, The ‘Guccifer 2.0′ Gaps in Mueller’s Full Report. Like Team Mueller’s indictment last July of Russian agents, the full report reveals questions about Wikileaks’ role that much of the media has been ignoring. – consortiumnews.com/2019/04/18/the-guccifer-2-0-gaps-in-muellers-full-report/
20. Wall Street Journal: ‘Putin Has Won’: Mueller Report Details the Ways Russia Interfered in the 2016 Election.
21. Wall Street Journal: Kimberley Strassel, Mueller’s Report Speaks Volumes. What’s in the special counsel’s findings is almost as revealing as what’s left out.
22. Moscow Times: Mark Galeotti, What the Mueller Report Tells Us About How Russia Works. Please, put away those onion-dome-on-the-White-House graphics and abandon those excitable claims of Trump as a Russian agent.
23. www.rt.com: Danielle Ryan, Mueller was supposed to be the Democrats’ savior, but now they’re out for blood. – rt.com/op-ed/456953-mueller-report-collusion-conspiracy/
24. The Intercept: Glenn Greenwald, Robert Mueller Did Not Merely Reject the Trump-Russia Conspiracy Theories. He Obliterated Them. (excerpt)
25. TASS: Kremlin says Mueller’s report was waste of taxpayers’ money.