RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents & links :: JRL 2019-#41 :: Wednesday, 13 March 2019
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at email@example.com
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2019-#41 :: Wednesday, 13 March 2019
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs. The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL Home: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
1. Russia Beyond: Why is Russia called Russia? [rbth.com/lifestyle/330090-why-is-russia-called-russia-name-origin]
2. TASS: More than half of Ukraine’s population view Russia in positive light, says poll.
3. www.stalkerzone.org: Do Not Believe Poroshenko: Why Ukrainians Started to Be More Friendly Towards Russia. [stalkerzone.org/do-not-believe-poroshenko-why-ukrainians-started-to-be-more-friendly-towards-russia/]
4. RFE/RL: Russian Bills Banning ‘Fake News,’ Insults Head To Putin For Signature.
5. TASS: Kremlin says anti-fake news bill not an attempt at censorship.
6. www.rt.com: Russian Senate approves rules on fighting ‘fake news’ & other misinformation.
7. Vedomosti: Criminalizing Protest Has Become a Tool for Combating Rallies. Experts Studied Use of Law Criminalizing Violence Against Authorities.
8. PONARS Eurasia: The Repressions Spiral. (with Maria Lipman and Nikolay Petrov)
9. Intellinews.com: Ben Aris, Will Russia’s infrastructure spending cause a boom?
10. Reuters: Doping: WADA president says proved right over Russian readmission.[reuters.com/article/us-sport-doping-wada/doping-wada-president-says-proved-right-over-russian-re-admission-idUSKBN1QU1BX]
11. Valdai Discussion Club: Report: Russia-US Economic Cooperation In Turbulent Times.
12. Valdai Discussion Club: Ivan Timofeev, Five Years of the Sanctions Troika.
13. TASS: Nezavisimaya Gazeta: Trump unveils plans to counter ‘Russian influence’
14. Antiwar.com: White House Proposes Huge Increase in War Funding. Plan adds nearly $100 billion just to overseas operations fund.
15. Foxnews.com: Chilling World War III ‘wargames’ show US forces crushed by Russia and China.
16. CNSNews.com: Trump: Russian Actions in Ukraine Pose ‘Extraordinary Threat’ to U.S. National Security.
17. TASS: Russian, US academies of sciences sign cooperation agreement.
18. Bloomberg: Leonid Bershidsky, Trump Is Winning, Putin’s Losing in Global Arms Sales. Russia is losing market share despite Vladimir Putin’s international military adventures.
19. Awful Avalanche: Venezuela Seeks Russian Help Against American Cyberattacks.
20. Russia Matters: Graham Allison, How the US Managed, and Mismanaged, Russia: A Superstar Diplomat Tells His Story.
21. theduran.com: Seraphim Hanisch, Fake news and its significance in US – Russia relations – Part II. Russian and American relations are being soured by fake news from each nation, both lying to their respectively uninformed audiences.
22. Institute for the Study of War: HOW WE GOT HERE WITH RUSSIA: THE KREMLIN’S WORLDVIEW. (excerpt)