RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents & links :: JRL 2019-#37 :: Thursday, 7 March 2019
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at email@example.com
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2019-#37 :: Thursday, 7 March 2019
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs. The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL Home: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
1. Valdai Discussion Club: David Lane, Why the West Blames Russia.
2. Washington Times: Andrei Tsyganov, ‘The Russians really are here.’ How the ‘collusion’ narrative damaged American politics.
3. The Nation: Stephen Cohen, The Long History of US-Russian ‘Meddling.’ The two governments have repeatedly interfered in each other’s domestic politics during the past 100 years-and it’s not all bad.
4. www.opendemocracy.net: Alexander Zamyatin, “Always depoliticise!” How public politics became a headache for Russia’s ruling elite. The fundamental ideology of the Putin regime may be depoliticisation, but protests and petitions are leading to direct and open questions to Russia’s ruling elite.
5. The Unz Review: Anatoly Karlin, Western Media Reports Russia’s Imminent Islamization, Finds One Lunatic Russian Priest Who Agrees. [unz.com/akarlin/western-media-reports-russias-imminent-islamization-finds-one-lunatic-russian-priest-who-agrees/]
6. Moscow Times: Alexei Levinson, Who’s to Blame for Gender Stereotypes in Russia? It’s not as simple as you might think.
7. www.rt.com: Russian minister schooled by MPs & sent off to prepare better in unprecedented move. [rt.com/russia/453170-russian-minister-schooled-parliament/]
8. Bloomberg: Leonid Bershidsky, Putin Turns Swathes of Russia Into Flyover Country. The government’s infrastructure and development plans put some areas on the fast track and leave others in the dust.
9. Interfax: Moscow authorities permit rally against Internet restrictions.
10. www.rt.com: Russian MPs approve legislation punishing for fake news & insults directed at the state.
11. Meduza: Russia will soon require digital journalists to delete ‘fake news’ ‘instantly.’ Here’s what that actually means.
12. Awful Avalanche: Russian Parliament Adopts Blatant Censorship Law. [awfulavalanche.wordpress.com/2019/03/07/russian-parliament-adopts-blatant-censorship-law/]
13. Meduza: Vladimir Putin says terrorism-related crimes in Russia have declined 110-fold in the past decade. Published statistics say he’s wrong.
14. Moscow Times: 98 Russian Billionaires Hold More Wealth Than Russians’ Combined Savings.
15. Intellinews.com: Wealthy Russians are conservative investors, study shows.
16. Intellinews.com: Nearly all the countries of Eastern Europe made progress in improving the rule of law.
17. Twitter: Maxim Suchkov, THREAD: #Russia-#China “bromance” and freedom of press.
18. Russian International Affairs Council: Russia-Japan Relations: New Stage of Development. [russiancouncil.ru/papers/Russia-Japan-WP50-En.pdf]
19. Oilprice.com: Russia To Defend Its Venezuela Oil Assets In ‘Toughest Way Possible’
20. Moskovsky Komsomolets: Lina Panchenko: Experts dubious about Pentagon’s Trojan Horse: United States invests in empty shell. With what Russia will respond to new US strategy.
21. Forbes.com: Hans Kristensen, House Armed Services Committee Members Show Alarmingly Poor Knowledge On Nuclear Weapons.
22. TASS: Washington’s stance on nuclear testing foments arms race, Russian diplomat cautions.
23. US-Russia.org: Are the U.S. and Russia Sleepwalking Toward Nuclear Disaster? Expert Panel Discussion. [us-russia.org/6110-are-the-us-and-russia-sleepwalking-toward-nuclear-disaster.html]
24. Russia Insider: Mike Walsh, Russian Popular Support for German Occupiers in WW2 Much Higher Than You Are Told. [russia-insider.com/en/russian-popular-support-german-occupiers-ww2-much-higher-you-are-told/ri26477]
25. Washington Post: How a wayward cat upstaged Putin and became a Russian celebrity. Meet Mostik, one of Russia’s furriest celebrities – and mascot of Putin’s pet project.
26. Kyiv Post: Top US security experts advise how to assist Ukraine as it battles off Russia.