RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents & links :: JRL 2019-#131 :: Monday, 19 August 2019
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2019-#131 :: Monday, 19 August 2019
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs. The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL Home: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
1. Intellinews.com: Ben Aris in Berlin and Ivan Tkachev, LONG READ: Putin’s 20 years on the job in numbers.
2. Vedomosti: Pundit views background to waning influence of Russian elite. (Nikolai Petrov)
3. Moskovsky Komsomolets: Russian philosopher views influence of liberalism. Interview by Sergey Dontsov with philosophy professor Igor Chubays.
4. Kennan Institute: Maxim Trudolyubov, Ask Not What the Kremlin Will Do Next
5. TASS: Vedomosti: Moscow Mayor’s Office expects protests to boost voter turnout.
6. www.rt.com: Thousands of communists rally for fair elections in Moscow (PHOTOS, VIDEO) – rt.com/russia/466724-communists-rally-moscow-elections/
8. New York Times: With Pickets, Russian Protesters Look to Sustain Momentum.
9. Moscow Times: Yana Gorokhovskaya, The ‘Celebritization’ of Protest in Russia. As rappers and celebrities join the opposition movement, protests in Russia are becoming fashionable.
10. Vedomosti: Russian pundit views protesters’ motives. (Alexei Levinson)
11. Washington Post: Will Englund, Seeking democracy on the streets of Ru
12. Stalker Zone: Oleg Tsarev: Rallies in Moscow Are Being Organised by the West in Accordance with the Maidan Scenario. – stalkerzone.org/oleg-tsarev-rallies-in-moscow-are-being-organised-by-the-west-in-accordance-with-the-maidan-scenario/
13. www.rt.com: Russian lawmakers set up ‘anti-foreign meddling’ commission, will send results to PACE, OSCE.
14. Interfax: United Russia calls out instances of foreign interference in domestic affairs.
15. Bloomberg: Russian Lawmakers Look For Foreign Hand Behind Wave of Protests.
16. Paul Goble: Influence of Moscow TV Declining But Working Overtime against Russia, Panov Says.
17. Vesti.ru: Is There Anything Russia Can’t Produce!? Five Years of Sanctions Have Created New Economy! – vesti.ru/doc.html?id=3180093&cid=4441
18. TASS: Nezavisimaya Gazeta: Russia cashing in on US sanctions.
19. Russia International Affairs Council: Alexey Turoobov, Seeking the Holy Grail but Finding New Pandora’s Boxes: Confidentiality and International Security.
Seeking the Holy Grail but Finding New Pandora’s Boxes: Confidentiality and International Security. 20. RIA Novosti: Irina Alksnis: United States Infected with ‘Victim Complex.’ Who is to Blame? – russiancouncil.ru/en/analytics-and-comments/analytics/seeking-the-holy-grail-but-finding-new-pandora-s-boxes-confidentiality-and-international-security/
21. The Observer (UK): Simonn Tisdall, The nuclear arms race is back…and ever more dangerous now. Donald Trump has increased spending on America’s arsenal while ripping up cold war treaties. Russia and China are following suit.
22. Reuters: Russia Says No Plans to Install New Missiles Unless U.S. Deploys Them.
23. The Africa Report: Josephine Dedet, Russia-Africa: Putin’s continental strategy.
24. Valdai Discussion Club: Timofei Bordachev, China: How Fragile Is the Giant? – valdaiclub.com/a/highlights/china-how-fragile-is-the-giant/
25. TASS: Media: Putin, Macron to step up efforts to resolve Ukrainian crisis.
26. TASS: Putin, Macron meeting can diffuse tensions in Donbass – expert.
27. The National Interest: Eli Paul, Will Corruption Poison Ukraine’s New President? Overcoming the persistence of corruption will be the most difficult task for Ukraine in the coming decade.
28. RFE/RL: Mission: Impossible? Ukraine’s New President Ventures To Reform Powerful State Spy Agency. (excerpt)
29. The Duran: Jelena Rakocevic, Ukrainian Autocephaly and Local Churches: Unity above All. If the Greeks recognize the Orthodox Church of Ukraine, the conflict with Moscow and other Slavic Churches will only deteriorate, and no Synaxis will be possible. – theduran.com/ukrainian-autocephaly-and-local-churches-unity-above-all/
30. www.rt.com: Awkward: Netanyahu greeted in Kiev with slogan of Jew-slaughtering Nazi collaborators.