RUSSIA NEWS & INFORMATION – Johnson’s Russia List contents & links :: JRL 2022-#15 :: Thursday, 20 January 2022
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at email@example.com
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2021-#15 :: Thursday, 20 January 2022
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs. The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL Home: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
1. AP: CIA: Most ‘Havana syndrome’ cases not linked to U.S. adversary.
2. Kremlin.ru: Meeting with Moscow Mayor Sergei Sobyanin – en.kremlin.ru/events/president/transcripts/67613
3. Moscow Times: As Caucasian Glaciers Melt, Locals Face the Future With Stoicism. Caucasian glaciers have lost a quarter of their surface area to climate change since the millennium.
4. Responsible Statecraft: Anatol Lieven, Diplomats & experts: negotiate, or expect ‘drastic escalation’ by Russia. The consensus is the US will have to make an effort to meet some of Putin’s demands — either before or after Moscow rolls into Ukraine.
5. Valdai Discussion Club: Russia-West: How Can We Fix ‘the Most Fateful Error in the Entire Post-Cold War Era’? – valdaiclub.com/events/posts/articles/russia-west-how-can-we-fix-the-most-fateful-error-in-the-entire-post-cold-war-era-/
6. Foreign Policy: Stephen Walt, Liberal Illusions Caused the Ukraine Crisis. The greatest tragedy about Russia’s potential invasion is how easily it could have been avoided.
7. Moscow Times: Baltic States Authorized to Rush U.S.-Made Weapons to Ukraine.
8. Moscow Times: Biden’s Sanctions Threats ‘Destabilizing,’ Kremlin Says.
9. RFE/RL: U.S., Allies Again Warn Russia Of ‘Grave Consequences’ Over Ukraine.
10. TASS: Izvestia: What’s on the agenda of the Lavrov-Blinken talks in Geneva.
11. Russia Observer: Patrick Armstrong, RUSSIA, UKRAINE ET AL: WHAT NEXT? – patrickarmstrong.ca/2022/01/19/russia-ukraine-et-al-what-next/
12. Indian Punchline: M.K. Bhadrakumar, Blinken delays US response to Russia – indianpunchline.com/blinken-delays-us-response-to-russia/
13. Foreign Policy: Elisabeth Braw, When Putin Loved NATO. Former NATO Secretary-General George Robertson, who had a cordial relationship with the Russian leader, recalls an era when Moscow wanted closer ties with the West.
14. gilbertdoctorow.com: Gilbert Doctorow, Anthony Blinken and the intellectual bankruptcy of the Biden Administration – gilbertdoctorow.com/2022/01/20/anthony-blinken-and-the-intellectual-bankruptcy-of-the-biden-administration/
15. rt.com: Putin’s battle plans & Ukraine invasion maps as (un)-covered by Western media. ‘Russian invasion’ scenarios imagined, complete with detailed maps and phases of the incursion. – rt.com/russia/546575-putins-plans-ukraine-invasion-msm/
16. Meduza: 2014 vs. 2022. Ukraine’s improved but still longshot odds of withstanding a full-fledged Russian invasion.
17. rt.com: Is an all-out Russia-Ukraine war about to break out?. The world is bracing for a potential armed showdown over Ukraine, which all sides say they don’t want to happen. – rt.com/russia/546517-is-all-out-russia-ukraine/
18. paulcraigroberts.org: Paul Craig Robert, Can We Trust Russophobes with Our Foreign Policy? – paulcraigroberts.org/2022/01/20/can-we-trust-russophobes-with-our-foreign-policy/
19. Defense News: Daniel DePetris, NATO should shut the door, but not because Russia said so.
20. Meduza: NATO’s malign influence is distracting Moscow from preparations for the ‘Asian Century’ (Sergey Karaganov) – re: aif.ru/politics/russia/sergey_karaganov_nato_eto_rak_poka_metastazy_tolko_rasprostranyayutsya
21. Valdai Discussion Club: Alexander Iskandaryan, Former Post-USSR. The post-Soviet space exists as long as there are disputes about it. But it is spreading and turning into a former post-Soviet space right before our eyes; before the eyes of those who still remember which countries were part of the USSR and which were not. – valdaiclub.com/a/highlights/former-post-ussr/
22. Interfax: West plotting military provocations against Ukraine – Russian Foreign Ministry. – interfax.com/newsroom/top-stories/73647/
23. Intellinews: Russian is the social-media language of choice for Ukrainians.
24. Intellinews: U.S. warns Belarus to keep its commitment to neutrality.
25. Postsocialism: Jeremy Morris, Spooks and the haunting of Russian Area Studies. – postsocialism.org/2022/01/18/spooks-and-the-haunting-of-russian-area-studies/
26. The New Kremlin Stooge: Mark Chapman, I Can’t Dance and I’m Too Fat to Fight. – thenewkremlinstooge.wordpress.com/2022/01/18/i-cant-dance-and-im-too-fat-to-fight/