RUSSIA NEWS & INFORMATION – Johnson’s Russia List contents & links :: JRL 2021-#151 :: Thursday, 29 July 2021
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2021-#151 :: Thursday, 29 July 2021
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs. The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL Home: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
2. rt.com: Paul Robinson, Putin is broke? Biden the latest American leader to publicly expose the dangerous lack of genuine Russia expertise in Washington – rt.com/russia/530546-lack-expertise-washington-exposed/
3. TASS: Nezavisimaya Gazeta: Biden encourages intelligence with cutting remark against Russia.
5. Intellinews: Chris Weafer, Buckle up, August is coming. The war between Russia and Georgia over South Ossetia broke out in August 2008.
6. rt.com: Russia’s economic recovery reaches pre-pandemic level with higher-than-expected growth of 4.6% – rt.com/business/530543-russia-economy-growth-surge/
7. China Daily: Russian virologist debunks Western COVID origin claims – chinadaily.com.cn/a/202107/28/WS61009188a310efa1bd664cfa.html
8. Washington Post: Want to skip the vaccine in Russia? You could be suspended from work.
9. RFE/RL: The Russian State Takes Ominous Steps To Bolster ‘Foreign Agents’ Law.
10. Moscow Times: Why Russia Can’t Compete in the Tokyo Olympics, But Its Athletes Can.
11. AFP: U.S. Sees ‘Substantive’ Talks with Russia Amid Tensions.
12. TASS: Izvestia: Russia, US agree to create working groups on strategic stability.
13. Russia International Affairs Council: Elena Alekseenkova, Can the “Green” Dialogue Become a Driver for Restoring the Dialogue Between Russia and the EU? – russiancouncil.ru/en/analytics-and-comments/analytics/can-the-green-dialogue-become-a-driver-for-restoring-the-dialogue-between-russia-and-the-eu/
14. Carnegie Moscow Center: Alexander Baunov, Why Everyone’s a Winner in the Nord Stream 2 Deal. The agreement between Germany and the United States, which at first glance appears to be to Russia’s advantage, is in fact beneficial to all parties—even Ukraine.
15. The American Conservative: Robert Merry, Biden Is Correct On The Nord Stream 2 Pipeline. His predecessors fought a pointless battle to no avail, asserting America’s preferences where intervention is unwarranted.
16. TASS: Russia’s regional clout to strengthen further amid post Afghan exit turmoil, says envoy – tass.com/world/1320729
17. Interfax: U.S.’ attempts to settle in Central Asia after leaving Afghanistan won’t do any good – Shoigu
18. Asia Times: Pepe Escobar, The Taliban go to Tianjin. China and Russia will be key to solving an ancient geopolitical riddle: how to pacify the ‘graveyard of empires’
19. Antiwar.com: Dany Sjursen, Nakhichevan: Corridor to the Next Round of Nagorno-Karabakh Combat – original.antiwar.com/Danny_Sjursen/2021/07/28/nakhichevan-corridor-to-the-next-round-of-nagorno-karabakh-combat/
20. The Unz Review: Anatoly Karlin, 41% of Ukrainians Agree They and Russians Are One People – unz.com/akarlin/41-of-ukrainians-agree-they-and-russians-are-one-people/
21. Kyiv Post: Poll shows 41% of Ukrainians agree with Putin’s ‘one nation’ claim, but question was tweaked.
22. rt.com: Ukraine is rightful heir to historic Kievan Rus & ‘distant relatives’ like Russia should not claim it as their own, says Zelensky – rt.com/russia/530489-zelensky-historic-kievan-rus-relatives/
23. Financial Times: Crimea ‘water war’ opens new front in Russia-Ukraine conflict. Moscow’s struggle to supply peninsula annexed in 2014 has become latest flashpoint.
24. Kommersant: William Browder has been removed from the list of victims. Switzerland drops money laundering case linked to Sergei Magnitsky – kommersant.ru/doc/4918887
25. rt.com: Publisher of controversial ‘Putin’s People’ agrees to edit book, admits ‘no evidence’ for claims against Russian banking tycoons – rt.com/russia/530578-publisher-controversial-putin-book-edit/