RUSSIA NEWS & INFORMATION – Johnson’s Russia List contents & links :: JRL 2021-#15 :: Friday, 22 January 2021
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2021-#15 :: Friday, 22 January 2021
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs. The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL Home: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
1. Russian International Affairs Council: Igor Ivanov, Russia and U.S. Must Not Squander Chances For Cooperation – russiancouncil.ru/en/analytics-and-comments/analytics/russia-and-u-s-must-not-squander-chances-for-cooperation/
2. Intellinews: Police arresting activists ahead of Saturday’s demonstration in support of Navalny
3. Moscow Times: Felix Light and Pjotr Sauer, ‘A Step Into the Unknown’: Russians’ Relationship With Jailed Navalny Is Complicated. As the opposition activist calls for protests, polls show his support is small but growing.
4. TASS: Kremlin excoriates Navalny’s ‘expose’ of Putin’s ‘palace’ as huge myth.
5. Moscow Times: Judy Twigg, Russia’s Questionable Claims Overshadow Good Sputnik V Vaccine. Sputnik V appears to be a sound vaccine, but Russia damaged its scientific credibility with premature and exaggerated claims of success.
6. TASS: Kommersant: Russians skeptical about coronavirus vaccine.
7. rt.com: ‘With lives at stake, politics must be forgotten’: Sputnik V sponsor warns demonizing Russian vaccine distracts from saving people – rt.com/russia/513278-sputnik-covid-saving-lives-politicization/
8. TASS: Izvestia: How the West’s new sanctions impact Nord Stream 2’s fate – tass.com/pressreview/1247727
9. TASS: US to paint Russia as enemy to evade criticism, unify Western world, experts say – tass.com/world/1247551
10. Interfax: Biden administration’s foreign policy to be based on anti-Russian, anti-Chinese, pro-NATO consensus – U.S. expert. (Thomas Graham)
11. Facebook: Fred Weir, Michael McFaul.
12. rt.com: Glenn Diesen, Knowing ‘liberal international order’ needs Russia as enemy to galvanize West, Moscow braces for aggressive Biden foreign policy – rt.com/russia/513315-aggressive-biden-foreign-policy/
13. TASS: Russia hails US proposal for New START extension, but all depends on details — Kremlin – tass.com/politics/1247803
14. Wall Street Journal: Biden Proposing to Extend U.S.-Russia Nuclear Arms Deal by Five Years. President vowed during campaign to extend the New START treaty, which is scheduled to lapse on Feb. 5.
15. TASS: Izvestia: Russia, US bound to reach arms control deal and vie over post-Soviet space – tass.com/pressreview/1247727
16. Russia Matters: Alexandra Bell, Russia’s Impact on U.S. National Interests: Preventing Nuclear War and Proliferation. (excerpt)
17. Financial Times: Biden faces first foreign policy test with Russian balancing act. White House seeks arms control pact even as it warns of consequences for Navalny arrest.
18. Paul Goble: Biden Administration Set to Challenge Russia Across the Southern Caucasus, Sitnikov Says
19. rt.com: After drawn out case, ECHR rejects Georgia’s claims of Russian Human Rights violations during 2008 war – rt.com/russia/513225-georgia-rights-violation-rejected/
20. Irrussianality: Paul Robinson, IRONIC. (re Telegram and Parler) – irrussianality.wordpress.com/2021/01/20/ironic/
21. Antiwar.com: Ray McGovern, Round Up the Usual Suspects; Don’t Forget Putin – original.antiwar.com/mcgovern/2021/01/20/round-up-the-usual-suspects-dont-forget-putin/
22. Dances With Bears: John Helmer, SWEDISH LABORATORY, STOCKHOLM COURT CONFIRM ALEXEI NAVALNY PREPARED NATO SECRETS, ADDING EVIDENCE FOR TREASON INDICTMENT IN RUSSIAN COURT – johnhelmer.net/swedish-laboratory-stockholm-court-confirm-alexei-navalny-prepared-nato-secrets-adding-evidence-for-treason-indictment-in-russian-court/print/
23. rt.com: Kit Klarenberg, Christopher Steele’s declassified FBI interview: Playing up fake sources and juggling spying jobs – consortiumnews.com/2021/01/22/russiagate-aint-over/