RUSSIA NEWS & INFORMATION – Johnson’s Russia List contents & links :: JRL 2021-#109 :: Tuesday, 25 May 2021
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at email@example.com
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2021-#109 :: Tuesday, 25 May 2021
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs. The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL Home: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
1. TASS: Only vaccination can change Russia’s coronavirus situation – health minister – tass.com/russia/1293427
2. Moscow Times: Felix Light, After Plane Crisis, Is Belarusian President Lukashenko Becoming a Troublesome Partner for Russia? Analysts say Moscow’s muted reaction to the diversion to Minsk of a Ryanair flight speaks to the Kremlin’s ambivalent view of the strongman.
3. Responsible Statecraft: Anatol Lieven, How to avoid a conflict in Belarus. Intervention might be tempting, especially after a civilian plane was forced down to arrest a journalist, but grave caution is advised.
4. TASS: Kommersant: West slaps new sanctions on Belarus after Ryanair plane’s forced landing.
5. Intellinenws: Ben Aris, Belarusian opposition journalist Protasevich in detention centre video and confesses to crimes
6. rt.com: Paul Robinson, Disgust at Belarus’ grounding of Ryanair jet selective given lack of concern about similar incidents involving West & its clients – rt.com/russia/524731-belarus-ryanair-similar-incidents/
7. The Unz Review: Anatoly Karlin, State Terrorism or Audacious Intel Ops? Depends If It’s Belarus or Ukraine – unz.com/akarlin/state-terrorism-or-audacious-intel-ops/
8. rt.com: Protasevich’s girlfriend only Russian on board Ryanair flight forced to land in Minsk, rubbishing claims security agents involved – rt.com/russia/524744-protasevich-girlfriend-landed-board/
9. Russian Foreign Ministry: Russia spokeswoman accuses West of hypocrisy over Ryanair landing.
10. New York Times editorial: A State-Sponsored Skyjacking Can’t Go Unanswered
11. Washington Post editorial: It’s time to respond forcefully to Belarus’s wily and malevolent dictator
12. Vedomosti: Commentary views shortcomings of Russia’s soft power in Belarus.
13. Intellinews: Putin formally accepts Biden’s summit invitation
14. Valdai Discussion Club: Konstantin Khudolei, Russia and the USA: In Search of a New Model of Relations – valdaiclub.com/a/highlights/russia-and-the-usa-in-search-of-a-new-model/
15. TASS: Vedomosti: Russia publishes strategic offensive weapon count for second time in 10 years.
16. The Bulwark: David Kramer, Is Biden Going Soft on Putin? The administration is signaling it wants to reach an understanding with Moscow. Its predecessors made the same mistake.
17. Wall Street Journal: Russian Military Seeks to Outmuscle U.S. in Arctic. For Moscow it is the last geopolitical battleground where it holds the advantage over Washington and Beijing.
18. Moscow Times: Russia Wants to Exempt State Media From ‘Foreign Agent’ Scrutiny
19. RFE/RL: Russian Lawmakers Take Step Toward Ban Of Navalny Supporters From All Elected Posts.
20. Carnegie Moscow Center: Andrey Pertsev, In Declaring Navalny Extremist, Russia Has Crossed a New Rubicon. Declaring all opposition figures enemies of the state and illegal entities precludes any chance of dialogue: there might have been a place at the table for a non-system opposition activist, but not for an extremist.
21. The Oxus Society for Central Asian Affairs: Nurlan Aliyev, Russia’s Power Play in Central Asia.
22. Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs: Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov’s interview with the newspaper Argumenty i Fakty, Moscow, May 24, 2021. (continued) – mid.ru/en/foreign_policy/news/-/asset_publisher/cKNonkJE02Bw/content/id/4741307
23. rt.com: US & NATO allies harming potential Donbass peace by giving more money, weapons and support to Ukrainian army, says Russian FM – rt.com/russia/524687-us-nato-harm-donbass-peace/
24. Vedomosti: Comment views reasons for Russia’s reluctance to annex Donbas