RUSSIA NEWS & INFORMATION – Johnson’s Russia List contents & links :: JRL 2020-#219 :: Monday, 7 December 2020
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2020-#219 :: Monday, 7 December 2020
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs. The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL Home: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
1. Simone Weil Center for Political Philosophy: Politics, Tragedy, Sovereignty: A Panel Discussion on the Meaning of Today’s Russia: Panelists: Marlene Laruelle, James Carden, Anatol Lieven, Boris Mezhuev, Paul Robinson, Richard Sakwa.
2. Wall Street Journal: Russia Begins to Roll Out Its Sputnik V Coronavirus Vaccine. Doctors, teachers and social workers in Moscow are among the first to receive the shot.
3. Bloomberg: Leonid Bershidsky, Putin Has Weathered Covid by Shifting Blame. Russia’s centralization has allowed the president to play a cynical political game.
4. Meduza: Russia’s next ‘foreign agent’ could be you.
5. Kremlin.ru: Artificial intelligence conference – en.kremlin.ru/events/president/transcripts/64545
6. Irrussianality: Paul Robinson, FAREWELL CHUBAIS – irrussianality.wordpress.com/2020/12/04/farewell-chubais/
7. The Bell: Anatoly Chubais to re-invent himself as eco-warrior.
8. Komsomolskaya Pravda: Chubais has finally got a global position. Anatoly Borisovich appointed as saviour of Russia and the entire planet from global warming – kp.ru/daily/21712096.5/4333748/?utm_campaign=internal&utm_medium=main_politics&utm_source=quote_preview&utm_term=2
9. rt.com: Time for record global oil demand may have already passed, Russia says – rt.com/business/508826-record-oil-consumption-end-russia/
10. Bloomberg: Russia Starts Preparing for Life After Peak Fossil Fuels
11. Reuters: Timeline: Nord Stream 2 – Russia to Germany gas pipeline’s difficult birth
12. Russian International Affairs Council: Pietro Shakarian, Karabakh — A Delicate Matter – russiancouncil.ru/en/analytics-and-comments/columns/military-and-security/karabakh-a-delicate-matter/
13. Slate.com: Joshua Kucera, An Armenian Tragedy. How a country’s wishful thinking was shattered by a brutal national defeat. (excerpt) – slate.com/news-and-politics/2020/12/armenia-azerbaijan-nagorno-karabakh.html
14. The Diplomat: Nodirjon Kirgizbaev, What’s Russia’s Aim in Afghanistan? The Russian presence in Central Asia, predicated on the threats from Afghanistan, stymies the political and economic development of the region.
15. TASS: Putin: Arctic nature extremely vulnerable, environmental risks should be minimized – tass.com/economy/1231779
16. stalkerzone.org: Aleksandr Rostovtsev, THE BATTLE FOR THE ARCTIC, OR THE BEGINNING OF THE LAST GREAT REDISTRIBUTION. – stalkerzone.org/the-battle-for-the-arctic-or-the-beginning-of-the-last-great-redistribution/
17. TASS: Nezavisimaya Gazeta: Belarusian protests guided by sheer enthusiasm.
18. Interfax: Former presidential candidate Tikhanovskaya wants to be Belarusian interim president for 45 days
19. ukrinform.net (Kyiv): Ukraine expects greater support from U.S. in countering Russian aggression after Biden takes office
20. rt.com: ‘Get on your knees’ before Putin: Ex-Ukrainian leader Poroshenko says Zelensky will humiliate country to end Donbass conflict – rt.com/russia/508798-poroshenko-zelensky-donbass-humiliate/
21. Jacobin: Kevin Murphy, Stephen F. Cohen Helped Us Understand the Russian Revolution and Nikolai Bukharin (excerpt)
22. New York Times: Peter Baker, Trump’s Final Days of Rage and Denial. The last act of the Trump presidency has taken on the stormy elements of a drama more common to history or literature than a modern White House. (excerpt re Putin)
23. CNBC.com: U.S. officials suspect Russia in mystery ‘attacks’ on diplomats in Cuba, China (excerpt)