RUSSIA NEWS & INFORMATION – Johnson’s Russia List contents & links :: JRL 2020-#193 :: Wednesday, 28 October 2020
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at email@example.com
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2020-#193 :: Wednesday, 28 October 2020
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs. The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL Home: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
1. rt.com: Time for Western media to retire its Russian ‘state TV’ obsession? Russians now overwhelmingly use internet as main news source – rt.com/russia/504700-research-less-trust-television/
2. The Guardian: ‘Sleeping giant’ Arctic methane deposits starting to release, scientists find. Exclusive: expedition discovers new source of greenhouse gas off East Siberian coast has been triggered.
3. The National Interest: George Beebe, Have America’s Russia Watchers Been Getting It Wrong? Our ability to treat with Moscow depends to a great degree on assessing and predicting Russian actions. Yet the striking number of times that Washington has been surprised by Russian behavior over the past few decades suggests that-more than ever-American experts are struggling in this endeavor.
4. TASS: Izvestia: Only quarter of Russians know what COVID-19 is.
5. TASS: Russia’s coronavirus situation keeps worsening, deputy prime minister says.
6. Meduza: ‘Crisis situations here and there’ The Kremlin’s spokesman on the handling of the coronavirus pandemic’s second wave.
7. Moscow Times: ‘We’re in Hell’: Russia’s Second Wave of Covid-19 Is Catching the Regions Off Guard. Medics in hospitals across Russia voiced frustration that authorities failed to use the summer respite to prepare for a second coronavirus wave.
8. Russia Beyond: What’s it like to end up in a Russian hospital with Covid-19? – rbth.com/lifestyle/332917-russian-hospitals-covid
9. Riddle: Ivan Tkachev, Covid’s second wave: Can Russia’s economy cope? – ridl.io/en/covid-s-second-wave-can-russia-s-economy-cope/
10. U.S. Embassy Moscow: Ambassador Sullivan’s Interview with Nezavisimaya Gazeta.
11. RFE/RL: Trump Wants Putin To ‘Join Forces’ On China, Former Adviser Says. (Fiona Hill)
12. Interfax: Moscow, Washington not close to any agreement on New START – Russian deputy FM.
13. Brookings: Steven Pifer, Hope for nuclear arms control with Russia? – brookings.edu/blog/order-from-chaos/2020/10/26/hope-for-nuclear-arms-control/
14. rt.com: Scott Ritter, Putin’s long game strategy on nuclear missiles in Europe may well pay off because Cold War treaties completely ignored China – rt.com/op-ed/504628-putin-nuclear-missiles-europe/
15. Moscow Times: Elizabeth Buchanan, Russia’s Grand Arctic Plan Will Face Tough Hurdles. Having a roadmap for development is one thing, getting there is another.
16. The Unz Review: Anatoly Karlin, Who Do Russians Support in Karabakh War 2020? – unz.com/akarlin/who-do-russians-support-in-karabakh-war-2020/
17. Eurasianet: Small outpost is Russia’s first visible aid to Armenia. The base is small, but would act as a tripwire deterring Azerbaijan from expanding its offensive into Armenian territory.
18. Financial Times: Drones and missiles tilt war with Armenia in Azerbaijan’s favour. Baku enjoys military superiority, but fighting likely to become harder as winter sets in.
19. Foreign Affairs: Thomas de Wall, No Compromise in Sight for Armenia and Azerbaijan. A Century-Long Search for an Impossible Victory in Nagorno-Karabakh.
20. Dances With Bears: John Helmer, ARMENIA’S ANTI-RUSSIANS GET THEIR COMEUPPANCE – DEFEAT ANALYSED IN MOSCOW AS DUE TO STRATEGIC FAILURE IN YEREVAN – johnhelmer.net/armenias-anti-russians-get-their-comeuppance-defeat-analysed-in-moscow-as-due-to-strategic-failure-in-yerevan/print/
21. Valdai Discussion CLub: Timofei Bordachev, Do We Face the End of International Institutions? – valdaiclub.com/a/highlights/do-we-face-the-end-of-international-institutions/
22. Intellinews: First day of Belarus’ general strike off to mixed start. The first day of Belarus’ general strike got off to a disappointing start, as most of the state-owned enterprises were working as normal.
23. TASS: Vedomosti: Exiled Belarusian opposition figurehead’s “people’s strike” fails to gain momentum.
24. Moon of Alabama: Belarus – Opposition Call For ‘Crippling General Strike’ Fails To Reach Workers. (excerpt) – moonofalabama.org/2020/10/belarus-opposition-call-for-crippling-general-strike-fails-to-reach-workers.html#more
25. Russia Matters: Trump’s Popularity Wanes Among Russians, Fewer Paying Attention to US Election Than in 2016
26. rt.com: Glenn Diesen, Endangering European security: Joe Biden’s assertion that Russia is number one ‘threat’ to US flies in face of all facts & reason – rt.com/russia/504691-threat-rivalry-confrontation-policies/
27. Meduza: How Joe Biden could force Russians to reconsider world history. (Andrey Kortunov)
28. The Guardian: ‘Already broken’: US election unlikely to change relations with Russia. Experts say little prospect for improvement, regardless of whether Joe Biden or Donald Trump wins.
29. The Slog: A.J.C. Boone, On Putin versus Rasputin.
30. taibbi.substack.com”: Matt Matibbi, 10 Ways to Call Something Russian Disinformation Without Evidence. The principles of American Newspeak, vol. 1 – taibbi.substack.com/p/10-ways-to-call-something-russian