RUSSIA NEWS & INFORMATION – Johnson’s Russia List contents & links :: JRL 2020-#176 :: Monday, 28 September 2020
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at email@example.com
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2020-#176 :: Monday, 28 September 2020
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs. The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL Home: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
1. rt.com: Coronavirus crisis not as bad for Russian economy as 2008 financial crash – Alexei Kudrin to RT – rt.com/business/501906-russia-coronavirus-crisis-kudrin/
2. Financial Times: Russian businesses prepare for fresh lockdowns as Covid-19 cases soar. Moscow records more than 2,000 new infections on Sunday, double that of 3 days earlier.
3. TASS: Mass vaccination against coronavirus to start in Russia in late October, expert says.
4. Paul Goble: Coronavirus Numbers Rising Rapidly in Moscow, Major Russian Cities.
5. TASS: Rossiyskaya Gazeta: Russia approves national economic recovery plan.
6. Oilprice.com: Russia Calls For A Global Response To The Oil Demand Crisis.
7. Asia Times: Russia’s imposing Arktika icebreaker heads north. President Putin said last year that the country’s Arctic fleet would operate at least 13 heavy-duty icebreakers
8. rt.com: Russian Arctic Sea route shipping to top 32 million tons this year – Rosatom – rt.com/business/501905-northern-sea-route-shipping/
9. theduran.com: How NATO tries to invade the Arctic – theduran.com/how-nato-tries-to-invade-the-arctic/
10. The Strategist (Australian Strategic Policy Institute): Elizabeth Buchanan, Russia and China in the Arctic: assumptions and realities.
11. Indian Punchline: M.K. Bhadrakumar, Russia has key role to play in Iran issue – indianpunchline.com/russia-has-key-role-to-play-in-iran-issue/
12. Asia Times: China-Russia agricultural ties will emerge stronger than ever. A number of factors including Western sanctions set the stage for robust bilateral trade in the agro sector.
13. AP: Armenia, Azerbaijan keep up deadly fight for disputed region.
14. TASS: Armenia ready to request military assistance from Russia, ambassador says.
15. TASS: Media: Conflict over Nagorno-Karabakh re-enters hot phase.
16. Eurasianet.org: Joseph Kucera, New Armenia-Azerbaijan fighting a long time in the making. Since July, events have appeared to be inexorably leading up to a more ambitious Azerbaijani offensive.
17. Asia Times: Richard Giragosian, Azerbaijan picks a fight over lost Armenian enclave. Surprise assault on Nagorno Karabakh leaves dozens dead in what could be the first salvo in a protracted conflict.
18. Moscow Times: What Is Russia’s Role in the Armenia-Azerbaijan Conflict?
19. Meduza: ‘Stop the hostilities’. The Kremlin’s stance on renewed fighting between Armenia and Azerbaijan.
20. Russian and Eurasian Politics: Gordon Hahn, Towards a Treaty Limiting Interference by One State in the Domestic Politics of Another State.
21. TASS: Nezavisimaya Gazeta: Tensions exacerbate in Belarus after Lukashenko’s inauguration.
22. Wall Street Journal: Russia’s Embrace of Lukashenko Puts the West on Alert. NATO worries Putin’s push for military bases on Belarus’s territory could pressure the alliance’s weak northeast corner.
23. theduran.com: What is the status of Ukraine’s relations with NATO? – theduran.com/what-is-the-status-of-ukraines-relations-with-nato/
24. Russia Matters: Mollie Saltskog and Colin P. Clarke, Rebuttal: Ukraine Is Emerging as Critical Node for White-Supremacy Extremists.
25. RFE/RL EXCLUSIVE: Mystery Over Russian’s Suspected Poisoning Deepens With New FBI Records. (re Vladimir Kara-Murza) (excerpt)
26. AP: Russian dissident Navalny recovering faster than expected.
27. The Unz Report: The Saker, The World Has Gone Absolutely Insane! – unz.com/tsaker/the-world-has-gone-absolutely-insane/
28. strategic-culture.org: John Quincy Adams, America Is Finished – strategic-culture.org/news/2020/09/25/america-is-finished/
29. Irrussianality: Paul Robinson. MORALITY AND POLITICS (re Russian philosopher Vladimir Solovyov) – irrussianality.wordpress.com/2020/09/25/morality-and-politics/