RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents & links :: JRL 2019-#36 :: Wednesday, 6 March 2019
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2019-#36 :: Wednesday, 6 March 2019
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs. The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL Home: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
1. CNN.com: Top US general calls for more troops and warships to counter growing Russian threat.
2. Paul Goble: 1996, Not 1991 or 1993, Made Current Authoritarian Reaction in Russia Inevitable, Pastukhov Says.
3. www.rt.com: ‘Burn in hell’: Anti-communists detained after outburst during Stalin’s commemoration. (VIDEO) [rt.com/russia/453102-stalin-tomc-clash-moscow/]
4. Paul Goble: Displays of Support for Stalin a Form of Protest Against Putin, Nacke Says.
[Text with video https://www.rt.com/russia/453102-stalin-tomc-clash-moscow/]
5. Moscow Times/Vedomosti: Maria Zheleznova and Vladimir Ruvinsky, What Putin Thinks About Michael Calvey’s Arrest. Putin’s silence speaks volumes.
6. TASS: Putin warns that foreign spy agencies are beefing up activities in Russia.
7. Interfax: Number of terrorist crimes dips from 997 to 9 in Russia over decade – Putin.
8. Bear Market Brief: Internet voting proposed in Moscow.
9. RFE/RL: Bitter Medicine: Doctors Give Bad Marks To Russian Program To Boost Rural Health Care.
10. www.opendemocracy.net: Ekaterina Neroznikova, Left behind? Russian life in Chechnya. After years of violence, displacement and an authoritarian peace, what is life like for ethnic Russians in the most mono-ethnic and mono-faith area of Russia? (excerpt)
11. Bloomberg; Russia Rates Seen on Hold as Battered Consumers Restrain Prices.
12. Vedomosti: Pundit says Russians realise systemic problems affect their wellbeing. (Ella Paneyak)
13. Meduza: Intertwined stories and inside-out novels Galina Yuzefovich recommends new Russian books for international readers.
14. TASS: Poll says two-thirds view borrowing foreign slang as detrimental to Russian language.
15. Russia Beyond: Why do so few Russians speak good English? [rbth.com/lifestyle/330073-why-russians-speak-english]
16. Intellinews.com: Russian Troika Dialog bank investigation reveals offshore money laundering scheme.
17. TASS: Leonid Mikhelson becomes richest Russian on Forbes World’s Billionaires List.
18. Intellinews.com: The DASKAA 2.0 sanctions – Near-term lull, long-term discomfort.
19. TASS: Vedomosti: New US sanctions might hit Russian gas industry.
20. Russian International Affairs Council: Ivan Timofeev, The Biggest Problem is to Be Caught Deliberately Violating Sanctions. [russiancouncil.ru/en/analytics-and-comments/analytics/the-biggest-problem-is-to-be-caught-deliberately-violating-sanctions/]
21. TASS: Izvestia: Moscow tightens passage over Arctic waters.
22. Russian International Affairs Council: Ruslan Memedov and Olga Pylova, On the Road to “Strategic Depth” in the Black Sea Region. [russiancouncil.ru/en/analytics-and-comments/analytics/on-the-road-to-strategic-depth-in-the-black-sea-region/]
23. Asia Times: Neil Hauer, Putin’s ‘Syria victory’ claims ring hollow.
24. www. rt.com: ‘So crass and so obvious’: Pressure from Washington pushes Venezuela closer to Russia. [rt.com/news/453104-venezuela-russia-relationship-closer/]
25. www.rt.com: ‘Freeze all Venezuelan assets’ – US regime-change hawk tells pranksters posing as Swiss president.
26. Carnegie Endowment for International Peace: JULIA GURGANUS and EUGENE RUMER, Russia’s Global Ambitions in Perspective. Russia’s long-standing quest for strategic depth, great power ambitions, and uneasy ties with the West have left an indelible imprint on Moscow’s foreign policy. (excerpt)
27. Intellinews.com: Comic Zelenskiy widens lead in Ukraine’s presidential race, but discovers his phone is bugged.
28. USNews.com: U.S. Considering New Lethal Aid to Ukraine to Deter Russia.
29. Moon of Alabama: Democrats Continue Campaign To Reelect Trump. (excerpt)[moonofalabama.org/2019/03/democrats-take-two-more-step-to-clear-the-way-for-trumps-reelection.html#more]
30. Wall Street Journal: Holman Jenkins, Mr. Chaos vs. The Swamp. Without Russia collusion, Democrats have only hatred of Donald Trump.