RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents :: JRL 2018-202 :: Monday, 19 November 2018
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2018-#202 :: Monday, 19 November 2018
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs. The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL homepage: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter:
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
1. In Moscow’s Shadows: Mark Galeotti, Masha and the Bear are not coming to invade your homeland.
2. TASS: Russia’s embassy advises London to find salvation from influence of children’s show.
3. www.rt.com editorial: What makes ‘Masha & the Bear’ propaganda in eyes of West? Mere fact Masha is Russian.
4. Paul Goble: Every Fifth Married Russian has More Children than He or She Wants, Sociologist Says.
5. Intellinews.com: Number of Russian banks falls below 500 as sector clean-up enters its end game. (excerpt)
[Full text http://www.intellinews.com/number-of-russian-banks-falls-below-500-as-sector-clean-up-enters-its-end-game-152141/?source=russia]
6. Oilprice.com: Russia Takes Major Leap In European Gas War.
[Text with links and graphics https://oilprice.com/Energy/Energy-General/Russia-Takes-Major-Leap-In-European-Gas-War.html]
7. Financial Times: Russian oil groups hit sweet spot as profits surge. Companies awash with cash, but falling crude price means good times may not last.
8. TASS: Trade war already underway across the globe, notes Russia’s PM.
9. Meduza: Moscow accuses Bill Browder of poisoning Sergey Magnitsky, as Russia is expected to win Interpol’s next presidency.
10. www.rt.com: ‘Highly likely’ that Magnitsky was poisoned by toxic chemicals on Bill Browder’s orders – Moscow.
11. Financial Times: Russians say cheese to Vladimir Putin’s EU food import ban. Locals have seized upon the gap in the market to build up a domestic dairy industry.
12. Intellinews.com: When will the west lift sanctions on Russia: 2019 or 2029?
13. TASS: Diplomat repudiates narrative that Russia’s moves drive US into abandoning INF deal.
14. The Guardian: European diplomats mount last-ditch effort to stop US scrapping INF treaty.
15. www.zerohedge.com: Tyler Durden, “We Feel Comfortable Back-to-Back”: The Unlikely Comrades Of Trump’s Trade War. (re Russia and China)
16. Asia Times: Pepe Escobar, Afghanistan takes center stage in the New Great Game. Moscow hosted talks last week to promote peace in Afghanistan as neighbors and regional heavyweights eye the rewards of stability in the long-troubled land.
17. Asia Times; Giovanni Pigni, Kremlin brings Kabul and Taliban to the table. Despite failing to reach an agreement, the Moscow-sponsored talks represent a diplomatic coup for the Russians.
18. Valdai Discussion Club: Oleg Barabanov, Ruxit: Russia without Europe?
19. Al Jazeera: Ditimar Bechev, The Kosovo quandary is a win for Russia. Russia is stepping in as the EU and the US are failing in their efforts to resolve the Kosovo-Serbia dispute.
20. TASS: Media: Moment for settling Russia-Japan Kurils dispute long gone.
21. Forbes.com: John Tammy, Russia Facebook ‘Meddling’ That Tilted Election Toward Trump Is Birtherism, Democrat Edition.
22. Valdai Discussion Club: Alexei Miller, The War That Determined Russian History for the Next 100 Years. (WWI)
23. Paul Goble: New Russian Study Partially Lifts Veil on Post-1945 Trials of Soviets who Collaborated with Germans.
24. Kyiv Post: Pre-election poll gives Poroshenko highest ‘anti-rating’ of all presidential candidates.
25. The New Republic: Michael Colborne, Ukraine’s Fall From Hope. Pro-democracy protests rocked the country and transfixed the world five years ago. Today, a walk around the Maidan reveals a complicated legacy.
26. www.rt.com: Ukraine’s far-right mob use tear gas, assault transgender parade in Kiev (PHOTO, VIDEO)
[Text with video https://www.rt.com/news/444311-ukraine-lgbt-nationalists-assault/]
27. www.mintpressnews.com: Max Blumenthal, Blowback: An Inside Look at How US-Funded Fascists in Ukraine Mentor US White Supremacists. Not only are white supremacists from across the West flocking to Ukraine to learn from the combat experience of their fascist brothers-in-arms, they are doing so openly, under the nose of a shrugging law enforcement – chronicling their experiences on social media before they bring their lessons back home. (excerpt)
[Full text https://www.mintpressnews.com/us-backed-fascist-azov-battalion-in-ukraine-is-training-and-radicalizing-american-white-supremacists/251951/]
28. New York Times: Zhores Medvedev, 93, Dissident Scientist Who Felt Moscow’s Boot, Is Dead.