RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents :: JRL 2018-201 :: Friday, 16 November 2018
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2018-#201 :: Friday, 16 November 2018
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs. The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL homepage: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter:
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
1. Russia Matters: Paul Saunders, After US Midterms, Dialogue With Russia May Become Easier, Not Harder.
2. Rossiyskaya Gazeta: Pundit says Trump has ‘little interest’ in Russia. (Fyodor Lukyanov)
3. TASS: Izvestia: Recent survey reveals social optimism in Russia on the decline.
4. TASS: Russian businessmen can choose to attend Davos forum on their own, says Putin.
5. Kremlin.ru: Answers to Russian journalists’ questions. At the end of his three-day state visit to Singapore, Vladimir Putin answered questions from the Russian media.
6. Intellinews.com: Moscow ranks 6th in World Best Cities report.
7. Paul Goble: For Russian Authorities, Reforming is Risky; Not Reforming Even More So, Gontmakher Says.
8. www.rt.com: Russian legislators set to ease controversial anti-extremism law.
10. Bloomberg: Leonid Bershidsky, A Dissident Wins a Bittersweet Victory Over Putin. Europe’s rights court condemned the Kremlin’s persecution of Alexei Navalny, but the ruling could push Russia further away from the West.
11. Paul Goble: Russian Educational System Threatened by Privatization, Underfunding.
12. Oilprice.com: Russia’s Most Powerful Oilman: We’re Fine With Any Oil Price.
13. Bloomberg: Where Is Russia’s Amazon?
14. Intellinews.com: Western sanctions against Russia: decision year in 2019 or 2029?
15. Bloomberg: Here’s One Measure That Shows Sanctions on Russia are Working.
16. www.rt.com: US continues imports of Russian gas which it insists Europe should stop buying.
17. TASS: Lavrov points to US attempts to impede Russia’s social, economic development.
18. Valdai Discussion Club: Andrew Futter, Why We Must Prohibit Cyberattacks on Nuclear Systems: The Case for Pre-Emptive US-Russia Arms Control.
19. Valdai Discussion Club: Danila Bochkarev, Oil Market Still Shaped by OPEC, but Its Role Is No Longer Central.
20. Russian International Affairs Council: Natalia Viakhireva, What Remains of the Relationship between Russia and the European Union. [russiancouncil.ru/en/analytics-and-comments/analytics/what-remains-of-the-relationship-between-russia-and-the-european-union/]
21. Washington Post: Jonathan Hillman, China and Russia’s awkward romance.
22. Pravda.ru: Lorenzo Vita, Russia’s game in Libya.
23. TASS: Kiev seeks to egg on Russia into clampdown on Ukraine by detaining ships, senator says.
24. RFE/RL: Azov, Ukraine’s Most Prominent Ultranationalist Group, Sets Its Sights on U.S., Europe.
25. Ivan Katchanovski: Shooting of Maidan Protesters from Maidan-Controlled Locations: Video Appendix C (2018)
26. www.rt.com: Kiev’s push to split from Russian Orthodox Church will boost ‘nationalism’ & ‘chaos’ in Ukraine. [rt.com/news/444143-ukraine-church-autocephaly-chaos/]
27. Interfax-Ukraine: IMF, World Bank see little progress in fight against corruption in Ukraine.
28. Awful Avalanche: “Have we frozen yet?” Ukrainian cities are dying – Part II. [awfulavalanche.wordpress.com/2018/11/15/have-we-frozen-yet-ukrainian-cities-are-dying-part-ii/]
29. www.rt.com: NYT series about Moscow’s plot to ‘tear West apart’ is a jewel of psychological projection (VIDEO) [rt.com/news/444146-nyt-russia-disinfo-kgb-video/]
30. New York Times: 3 Days Stranded in Siberia? Flight Delays Don’t Come Much Worse Than This.
31. Wall Street Journal: Kimberley Strassel, Doubling Down on Mueller. What will Democrats (and Jeff Flake) do if the probe finds no collusion evidence?
32. www.strategic-culture.org: Finian Cunningham, US Midterms Expose Russia Hacker Myth. [strategic-culture.org/news/2018/11/14/us-midterms-expose-russia-hacker-myth.html]
33. The Times (London): Walter Laqueur obituary. Influential but pessimistic historian who tried to find answers to the Holocaust and was among the first scholars to study terrorism.