RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents :: JRL 2018-199 :: Tuesday, 13 November 2018
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2018-#199 :: Tuesday, 13 November 2018
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs. The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL homepage: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
1. Facebook: Fred Weir, New York Times’ “Operation Infektion”
2. Russian International Affairs Council: Andrey Kortunov, On Russia’s Power: is Winter Coming? [russiancouncil.ru/en/analytics-and-comments/analytics/on-russia-s-power-is-winter-coming/]
3. Valdai Discussion Club: Vladimir Vasiliev, Triangles and Polygons in Russian-American Relations. [valdaiclub.com/a/highlights/triangles-and-polygons/]
4. Asia Times: Pepe Escobar, Decoding the hypersonic Putin on a day of remembrance. Sitting alongside French President Macron during the 100th anniversary to commemorate the end of World War I, Putin and Trump stole the show in Paris.
5. Bloomberg: Putin’s Isolation Is Denting His Growth Plan for Russia.
6. Russia Beyond: How to survive a nuclear war in Moscow. [rbth.com/lifestyle/329500-survive-nuclear-war]
7. Intellinews.com: Russians pile into mortgages as Moscow property market revives.
8. www.rt.com: Kremlin critic Navalny barred from leaving Russia over ‘surprise’ debt.
9. Interfax: Fines in Kirovles case can’t be reason for travel ban, were already paid – Navalny,
10. Carnegie Moscow Center: Tatyana Stanovaya, The Illusion of Control: The Kremlin Prepares for Falling Ratings.
11. TASS: Northern Sea Route’s navigation extends by one month in warming climate.
12. Russia Beyond: How Russia became the world’s second largest arms exporter.[rbth.com/history/329499-how-russia-became-worlds-second-arms-exporter]
13. www.strategic-culture.org: Arkady Savitsky, US Pressure Fails to Affect Russia’s Growing Arms Exports. [strategic-culture.org/news/2018/11/12/us-pressure-fails-to-affect-russia-growing-arms-exports.html]
14. Oilprice.com: The Biggest Threat To Dollar Dominance.
15. Sputnik: ‘Isolation is Impossible’: Western Sanctions Against Russia Waste Time – Report.
16. Financial Times: Top Russian envoy warns US on missile deployment after treaty exit. Stationing new weapons in Europe could spark ‘dramatic events’, says Vladimir Chizhov.
17. Indian Punchline: M.K. Bhadrakumar, Russia keeps Israel’s Netanyahu in anteroom.[indianpunchline.com/russia-keeps-israels-netanyahu-in-anteroom/]
18. Valdai Discussion Club: Alexander Vorontsov, Denuclearizing North Korea: Washington’s Strategic Solitude. [valdaiclub.com/a/highlights/denuclearizing-the-dprk/]
19. www.rt.com: Mikhail Khodarenok, Can Russia invade Norway or is NATO wasting money in preparation for an attack? [rt.com/op-ed/443857-trident-juncture-russia-norway/]
20. Russia Beyond: 4 new Russian historical movies that could outshine Hollywood.[rbth.com/arts/329490-4-new-russian-historical-movies]
21. TASS: Poll shows Timoshenko as Ukraine’s presidential frontrunner, while Poroshenko struggles.
22. AP: Ukrainians protest as gas dispute leaves scores freezing.
23. www.rt.com: ‘Separatists are not people’: Ukrainian kids taught to shoot & kill at far-right ‘summer camp’ [rt.com/news/443811-ukrainian-far-right-children-camp/]
24. Intellinews.com: Ukraine’s pro-Russian opposition leaders Boyko and Rabinovich merge parties.
25. Interfax-Ukraine: Pro-Russian politician urges autonomy for Ukraine’s Donbass.
26. Bloomberg: Leonid Bershidsky, Why Putin Encouraged Sham Elections in Eastern Ukraine. The vote confirms the Kremlin has reluctantly decided to hang on to the puppet states it helped carve out.
27. RIA Novosti: Russian comment says political system in US ‘dysfunctional.’ (Ivan Danilov)
28. Wall Street Journal: Russian Hackers Largely Skipped the Midterms, and No One Really Knows Why. U.S. officials and cybersecurity firms cite a number of reasons 2018 wasn’t like 2016.
29. The Blog Mire: Rob Slane, Where was Detective Sergeant Nicholas Bailey Poisoned? (re Skripals) [theblogmire.com/where-was-detective-sergeant-nicholas-bailey-poisoned/]