RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents :: JRL 2018-198:: Monday, 12 November 2018
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at email@example.com
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2018-#198 :: Monday, 12 November 2018
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs. The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL homepage: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
1. Russian and Eurasian Politics: Gordon Hahn, Putin’s Ratings Fall: Back to the Soft Authoritarian Normality of His ‘Sistema’?
2. www.rt.com: We want to believe: ‘Russian hacking’ memo REVEALS how US intel pinned leaks to Kremlin. [rt.com/usa/443644-russia-hacking-methods-election-memo/]
3. Christian Science Monitor: Fred Weir, U.S. midterms make Putin’s rocky road to Trump even rockier. Americans weren’t the only ones closely watching US midterm results. Much of the world was too, including Russia. A Democratic House will complicate Vladimir Putin’s efforts to cut deals with President Trump.
4. TASS: Expert says there was little hope for meaningful Paris meeting between Putin, Trump. (Fyodor Lukyanov)
5. Kremlin.ru: Interview to Russia Today TV Channel.
6. TASS: Izvestia: Putin, Trump agree to continue communication.
7. TASS: Putin, Trump to discuss INF Treaty on sidelines of G20 summit – Kremlin.
8. The National Interest: Nikolas K. Gvosdev, The Lessons of World War I Still Haunt Russia Today. The Russian civil war is finally over – and the Whites have won.
9. Russia Insider: Brian Cloughley, Imperial Russian Army Was Only One to Fight and Die on Eastern and Western WWI Fronts Alike. It’s a little known fact a Russian Expeditionary Force fought Germans in France. [russia-insider.com/en/imperial-russian-army-was-only-one-fight-and-die-eastern-and-western-wwi-fronts-alike/ri25342]
10. Russia Beyond: Russia in World War I: Was victory ‘stolen’ by a stab in the back? [rbth.com/history/329472-russia-in-world-war-i]
12. Paul Goble: In Russia, Clash of Generations Replacing Clash of Civilizations, ‘Nezavisimaya Gazeta’ Says.
13. www.rt.com: Red governor: Communist to lead Russia’s region in Siberia after being only runner on ballots.
14. www.rt.com: Russia excels in ditching dollar ahead of pending US sanctions against country’s financial system.
15. Wall Street Journal: Russia Demotes Dollar’s Role at Home, Taking a Swipe at U.S.. To ease sanctions pressure, Moscow promotes use of ruble and other currencies in trade deals.
16. Bear Market Brief: Russian economy shows few favorable signs in 3Q 2018 [website link is to entire issue of email newsletter as archived by mailchimp].
17. Financial Times: Russian sanctions: why ‘isolation is impossible.’ The US-led measures were designed to ostracise Putin, but the rhetoric has not matched reality as Moscow sells arms and builds alliances.
18. Valdai Discussion Club: Vladimir Petrovsky, China-Russia Relations on the Rise. [valdaiclub.com/a/highlights/china-russia-relations-on-the-rise-/]
19. Valdai Discussion Club: C. Raja Mohan, President Putin in Singapore: Russia’s East Asia Prospects. [valdaiclub.com/a/highlights/president-putin-in-singapore-russia/]
20. www.rt.com: ‘Think Oriental’: European mindset will not strike bargain with the Taliban, Russian envoy tells RT. [rt.com/news/443756-zamir-kabulov-taliban-talks/]
21. Interfax: West lost war in Afghanistan – Moscow.
22. The Real News Network: The Taliban in Moscow: A Turning Point for the Afghan War?. As the Afghan government suffers more losses on the ground, a landmark peace conference hosted by Russia could mark a shift in the 17-year war. The Taliban is there in its highest level diplomatic engagement in years. We speak to author and historian Vijay Prashad. [therealnews.com/stories/the-taliban-in-moscow-a-turning-point-for-the-afghan-war]
23. Arab News: Russia not aligned with Iran, say experts.
24. www.strategic-culture.org: Patrick Armstrong, Psychoanalysing NATO: Confirmation Bias. [strategic-culture.org/news/2018/11/09/psychoanalysing-nato-confirmation-bias.html]
25. Russian International Affairs Council: Dmitry Stefanovich,and Malcolm Chalmers, Is This the End of Nuclear Arms Control? [russiancouncil.ru/en/analytics-and-comments/analytics/is-this-the-end-of-nuclear-arms-control/]
26. Center for Strategic and International Studies: Olga Oliker and Andrey Kortunov, The United States, Russia, and Europe in 2018. Chipping Away at Four Gordian Knots. [russiancouncil.ru/en/analytics-and-comments/analytics/is-this-the-end-of-nuclear-arms-control/]
27. http://theduran.com: Slavisha Batko Milacic, The Serbian question in Montenegro. The current, western influenced, government policy in Montenegro is based on the disabling Russian influence. [theduran.com/the-serbian-question-in-montenegro/]
29. Wall Street Journal editorial: Burying the Other Russia Story. Adam Schiff will shut down the probe that found FBI abuses.
30. AP: Training Kids to Kill at Ukrainian Nationalist Camp.
31. Carnegie Moscow Center: Konstantin Skorkin, Election Gambit: What’s Behind Russia’s Sanctions on Ukrainian Politicians and Businessmen?
32. Intellinews.com: The self-proclaimed Donetsk and Luhansk People’s Republics in eastern Ukraine held controversial elections.
33. TASS: Kommersant: Donetsk-Lugansk elections to widen rift between Russia and West.
34. TASS: Donbass elections’ outcome shows popular support for integration with Russia, expert says.
35. Interfax: Kremlin treats elections in self-proclaimed Donbas republics ‘with understanding’ – Peskov.
36. Washington Times: Edward Lozansky, U.S.-Russia-China Big Three – or WW III? Trump in Paris, ‘Russia is preparing for war,’ China in ‘preparation for war’