RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents :: JRL 2018-197 :: Friday, 9 November 2018
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at email@example.com
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2018-#197 :: Friday, 9 November 2018
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs. The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL homepage: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
1. Valdai Discussion Club: Andrey Kortunov, Trump-Putin Meetings: Do Elephants Need Celibacy? [valdaiclub.com/a/highlights/trump-putin-meetings/]
2. Valdai Discussion Club: Andrei Tsygankov, Russia and the United States: Dialogue Without Commitments. [valdaiclub.com/a/highlights/russia-and-the-united-states-dialogue-without/]
3. Meduza: An accomplice to the founder of Russia’s ‘troll factory’ comes forward and says U.S. election interference wasn’t a Kremlin initiative. [cf.: novayagazeta.ru/articles/2018/11/08/78496-provokatsii-prigozhina]
4. Moscow Times: Meduza Chief Editor Resigns Following Sexual Harassment Claims.
5. Carnegie Moscow Center: Andrei Kolesnikov, No Left Turn in Russia. A protest vote is growing in Russia. But this is not a pivot toward socialism; rather, it is an expression of anger that the government has torn up the Putin-era social contract.
6. www.rt.com: Russia’s grain exports surge more than 54% this year.
7. Intellinews.com: Asia overtakes Europe as Russian Rosneft’s main export market.
8. Intellinews.com: Sino-Russian trade turnover on track to top $100bn this year.
9. Reuters: Russia Clashes With Western Oil Buyers Over New Deals as Sanctions Loom.
10. TASS: Kommersant: US expands sanctions against Russia targeting Crimea.
11. Russia Observer: Patrick Armstrong, RUSSIAN FEDERATION SITREP 8 NOVEMBER 2018. [patrickarmstrong.ca/2018/11/08/russian-federation-sitrep-8-november-2018/]
12. Russia Insider: Western Russophobia Is Actually a Great Thing for Russia. Anatoly Karlin on how he learned to stop worrying and love russophobia.
13. Sputnik: Former Soviet President Gorbachev Vows to Do Utmost to Prevent New Cold War.
14. Rossiyskaya Gazeta: Russian pundit warns against INF treaty abrogation. (Leonid Radzikhovsky)
15. Project Syndicate: Nina Khrushcheva, Is Trump Duping Putin? Russian President Vladimir Putin seems to think that he has been using his strategically incompetent American counterpart to advance his ends. In fact, Donald Trump has dragged everyone into his reality-TV world, in which sensation, exaggeration, and misinformation all serve his only true goal: to be the center of attention.
16. Russian International Affairs Council: Andrey Kortunov, Will Russia Return to Europe?[russiancouncil.ru/en/analytics-and-comments/analytics/will-russia-return-to-europe/]
17. The National Interest: The War in Syria Has Been a Boon for the Russian Military. Deficiencies have been revealed by the Russian military’s experience in Syria, proving the conflict to be a valuable learning experience.
18. TASS: Nezavisimaya Gazeta: Taliban coming to Russia-hosted Afghan conference.
19. Bloomberg: Russia Challenges U.S. in Hosting Taliban at Afghan Talks.
20. www.opendemocracy.net: Marlene Laruelle, Russia’s Mediterranean call: from Kerch to Palmyra, but without Constantinople? How the Russian authorities are justifying the military’s pivot to the south east.
21. Strategic Culture Foundation: Alex Gorka, US Declares War on ‘Troika of Tyranny’ Pushing Them Closer to Russia. [strategic-culture.org/news/2018/11/07/us-declares-war-on-troika-tyranny-pushing-them-closer-russia.html]
22. www.rt.com: Bryan MacDonald, Dirty little secret: ‘Think tanks’ are among top culprits in media disinformation crisis. [rt.com/op-ed/443540-think-tanks-media-disinformation/]
23. Facebook: Ivan Katchanovski, Murder of Kateryna Handzyuk.
24. Intellinews.com: Ben Aris, The flood of Ukrainians leaving to work in EU countries has reached its peak.
25. Off Guardian: WATCH: Who Are These Russians And Why Do We Hate Them?.
26. The Economist: The tenth city: Rostov-on-Don. We move to Russia in our series on Europe’s second-tier cities. Ancient trading traditions have survived Bolshevism and war.
27. Wall Street Journal: Michael Phillips, The One Time American Troops Fought Russians Was at the End of World War I-and They Lost. Thousands of U.S. soldiers sent to guard military storehouses from the Germans were instead ordered to wage war on the Bolsheviks.