RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents :: JRL 2018-195 :: Wednesday, 7 November 2018
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2018-#195 :: Wednesday, 7 November 2018
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs. The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL homepage: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
1. Irrussianality: Paul Robinson, PUTIN SEES AND HEARS IT ALL. [irrussianality.wordpress.com/2018/11/05/putin-sees-and-hears-it-all/]
2. Facebook: Fred Weir, Henry Jackson Society.
3. The Independent (UK): The Cold War is over: Why can’t the west accept it? Four decades ago, Mary Dejevsky spent a year as an exchange student in the Soviet Union. On her return this year, she found much had changed for the better and wonders why western narratives about Russia are still stuck in the past.
4. Politico.com: Dmitri Trenin, Why Putin Isn’t Sweating the Midterms. The Kremlin strongman has invested in Trump because he’s disrupting the world order. Win or lose on Tuesday, that will continue.
5. Le Monde diplomatique: Karine Clement, Ordinary people to work longer for less. Russia looks after its rich. Pension reforms delaying retirement brought outcry from Russians. But Putin keeps squeezing lower incomes, exempting a wealthy elite close to the Kremlin.
6. Intellinews.com: Russia’s services PMI surges on the back of improving economic recovery.
7. Le Monde diplomatique: Helene Richard, No room for Moscow in ‘common European home.’ Lonely Russia. Do you remember when western Europe hoped that one day Russia would join it, so that Europe would stretch from the Atlantic coast to the Urals? The Russians do, but they’re trying to forget it.
8. Meduza: What is the GRU? Who gets recruited to be a spy? Why are they exposed so often? Here are the most important things you should know about Russia’s intelligence community. (excerpt)
9. Russia Beyond: What missiles will Russia develop after the U.S. pulls out of the INF Treaty?
10. Gazeta.ru: Expert says Moscow to upgrade arms if US withdraws from INF treaty.
11. Financial Times: Trump and Putin to hold full meeting at Argentina G20. Meeting in Paris downgraded to ‘stand up conversation’
12. TASS: RBC: Russian companies anxious over new US sanctions.
13. Sputnik: West’s Bid for Global Dominance Triggered Tensions With Russia – Russian FM.
14. RIA Novosti: Comment views possible Bolton’s attempt to set Russia against China.
15. Bloomberg: Marc Champion, Trump’s Trade War Is Making Russia and China Comrades Again. Facing U.S. sanctions and tariffs, Moscow and Beijing are finding lots of common ground.
16. Wall Street Journal: U.S. Finding on Russia Chemical Weapons Paves Way for New Sanctions. Lawmakers say White House needs to sanction Kremlin over determination that Russia hasn’t shown that it stopped using chemical, biological weapons.
17. TASS: Russia’s PM believes US imposes sanctions to solve its domestic political problems.
18. TASS: Kommersant: Russia to address UN over diplomatic property seized in US.
19. Interfax: Peskov sees no prospects Russian-U.S. relations to improve after U.S. elections.
20. Valdai Discussion Club: Economy and Demography Determine the Outcome of Midterms and America’s Future.
21. TASS: Democrats’ midterm election gains may complicate Trump’s dialogue with Russia – experts.
22. Dances With Bears: John Helmer, FOUR HARD-TO-LEARN RUSSIAN LESSONS FROM THE US CONGRESSIONAL ELECTION RESULTS. [johnhelmer.net/four-hard-to-learn-russian-lessons-from-the-us-congressional-election-results/#more-19986]
23. The Unz Review: Philip Geraldi, America Goes to War. Fighting Russia, China and al-Qaeda simultaneously requires more money. [unz.com/pgiraldi/america-goes-to-war/]
24. Gazeta.ru: Russian expert views scenarios for ‘nuclear missile’ exchange with US.
25. Seeking Alpha: Paulo Santos, Russia: The Ukraine Situation And More.
26. UNIAN (Kyiv): Experts estimate probability of Russia’s large-scale offensive in Donbas ahead of Ukrainian elections.
27. TASS: Church autocephaly only fuels tensions in Ukrainian society – key Russian bishop.
28. World Socialist Web Site: Jason Melanovski, Ukraine’s depopulation crisis. [wsws.org/en/articles/2018/11/01/ukra-n01.html]
29. Wall Street Journal: No Significant Foreign Interference Seen on Midterm Vote.
30. Reuters: Russia Seen Adopting New Tactics in U.S. Election Interference Efforts.
31. The Sun (UK): VLAD’S KGB SPIES Vladimir Putin has up to 75,000 Russian spies in Britain, shock report reveals. Dr Andrew Foxall revealed up to half of the 150,000 Russian ex-pats in Britain are feared to be spy service ‘assets’
32. Russia Matters: Russia and the 2018 Midterms: Laying Out the Publicly Available Evidence. (excerpt)