RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents :: JRL 2018-189 :: Monday, 29 October 2018
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2018-#189 :: Monday, 29 October 2018
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs. The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL homepage: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
1. Russia Beyond: How have Russian ideological values changed through the centuries?
2. Intellinews.com: Ben Aris, Russians forego their summer holiday and buy a new smartphone instead.
3. Irrussianality: Paul Robinson, BOOK REVIEW: CREATING RUSSOPHOBIA.[irrussianality.wordpress.com/2018/10/28/book-review-creating-russophobia/#more-4429]
4. Irrussianality: Paul Robinson, DAMN THE TORPEDOES![irrussianality.wordpress.com/2018/10/26/damn-the-torpedoes/]
5. Intellinews.com: Putin’s approval rating falls to 66% in September.
6. Russia Insider: Matthew Raphael Johnson, Why Putin’s Christian Faith Is Most Likely Authentic. “Normally he goes to obscure, rural churches to spend the holidays, wishing to avoid the cameras and distractions of the major cities.” (excerpt) [russia-insider.com/en/why-putins-christian-faith-most-likely-authentic/ri25168]
7. Russia Matters: Andrew Kuchins, Valdai Highlights: Putin’s Hard Questions on US Global Role.
8. The Unz Review: Anatoly Karlin, Russia to Rewrite Immigration Legislation.
9. Interfax: Anti-Ukrainian, anti-immigrant feeling in Russia up in past 5 years – Levada Center head.
10. Interfax: There are no violent manifestations of anti-Semitism in Russia – REK head.
11. The Russian Reader/Facebook: Lilia Shevtsova: Gutting Russia. [therussianreader.com/2018/10/27/how-to-become-a-russian-expert-on-facebook-in-a-matter-of-weeks/]
12. Los Angeles Times: Sabra Ayres, There’s a museum in Russia honoring Boris Yeltsin. Team Putin doesn’t like it.
13. The Russian Reader: How to Become a “Russian Expert” on Facebook in a Matter of Weeks! [therussianreader.com/2018/10/27/how-to-become-a-russian-expert-on-facebook-in-a-matter-of-weeks/]
14. Sputnik: German Media Admits Russia’s ‘Paradox’ Economic Growth Despite Sanctions.
15. www.rt.com: Moody’s projects increase in foreign investments flowing into Russia.
16. Moscow Times: U.S. ‘Love’ of Sanctions Won’t Stop Moody’s Upgrading Russia.
17. TASS: “Undeclared war” forces Russia to boost defense spending – minister.
18. TASS: US builds up arsenals in Europe to deter Russia, experts say.
19. Sputnik: ‘Russian, Chinese Challenge Is Not to Respond to US in Kind’ – Ex Diplomat.
20. www.rt.com: US quitting landmark INF treaty is ‘fact’, Moscow prepares response to ‘questions’ – Lavrov.
21. Carnegie Moscow Center: Andrey Kortunov, U.S. Withdrawal From the INF Treaty and the End of the Bilateral Era. Strategic arms control has long been a foundation of U.S.-Russia relations, and removing this pillar will have profound consequences for the bilateral relationship. Neither Moscow nor Washington has displayed much political will or persistence to rescue the INF Treaty. Strategic arms control as it has been known for almost half a century is coming to its logical end.
22. Washington Post: Dmitry Gorenburg, Here’s what the Russians think about the Trump administration’s decision to withdraw from a nuclear arms treaty.
23. Meduza: How have Moscow and Washington violated the agreement? What’s so dangerous about intermediate-range missiles? Meduza answers the questions about the INF Treaty that you’re too afraid to ask.
24. Brookings: Steven Pifer, After INF, is New START next to go?
25. Wall Street Journal: At Istanbul Summit, Russia Seeks Role as Mediator of Syria War. Four heads of state meet to discuss a settlement in the protracted war.
26. TASS: Media: Takeaways from the Istanbul hosted four-way summit.
27. Valdai Discussion Club: Konstantin Truevtsev, Istanbul Summit Ends in a Spectacular Victory of Diplomacy.
28. https://gilbertdoctorow.com: Gilbert Doctorow, Unprecedented Summit of Four in Istanbul reveals unbridged, irreconcilable differences between Russia and the West over Syria. [gilbertdoctorow.com/2018/10/29/unprecedented-summit-of-four-in-istanbul-reveals-unbridged-irreconcilable-differences-between-russia-and-the-west-over-syria/]
29. Russia in Global Affairs: Alexander Lomanov, Marginalization in Globalization. Chinese Polemics on the Specifics of Russian Diplomacy. [eng.globalaffairs.ru/book/Marginalization-in-Globalization-19807]
30. Interfax: Putin, Trump to compare notes on many issues – Peskov.
31. The American Conservative: Curt Mills, Mr. Putin Goes to Washington? Trump will meet with the Russian president and hopefully address our biggest geopolitical challenge: China.[theamericanconservative.com/articles/mr-putin-goes-to-washington/]
32. Awful Avalanche: Russians React To Megyn Kelly Firing – Part II. [awfulavalanche.wordpress.com/2018/10/28/russians-react-to-megyn-kelly-firing-part-ii/]
33. Intellinews.com: Ukrainians believe corruption a bigger problem than war with Russia.
34. TASS: Intentions to rename Ukrainian Orthodox Church absurd – Moscow Patriarch’s spokesman.
35. Russian International Affairs Council: Daniel Parenkov, The Politics of Canons and Borders. [russiancouncil.ru/en/analytics-and-comments/analytics/the-politics-of-canons-and-borders/#short]
36. Asia Times; Alexander Titov, Ukraine rift triggers biggest split in Orthodox Church in 1,000 years. Ukrainian president Petro Poroshenko is hoping an independent Ukrainian church will save his political career.