RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents :: JRL 2018-188 :: Friday, 26 October 2018
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2018-#188 :: Friday, 26 October 2018
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs. The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL homepage: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
1. The Express (UK): Chuck Todd: ‘Is RUSSIA responsible for mail bomb scares TERRORISING America?’ RUSSIA could be responsible for the series of “mail bomb” scares that have sent shockwaves through US over the past few days, US media outlet MSNBC’s Chuck Todd suggested.
2. TASS: You can’t be strong-armed into heaven: PM warns against drumming ‘democracy’ into others.
3. Russian International Affairs Council: Andrey Kortunov, Politics as Continuation of War by Other Means?
4. Indian Punchline: M.K. Bhadrakumar, A sombre run-up to US-Russia summit in Paris.
5. Moscow Times: 42 Percent of Russians Say No Existing Political Party Represents Their Interests – Poll.
6. Bear Market Brief: Putin’s ratings.
7. Moscow Times: Putin Establishes Foundation to Preserve Russia’s Native Languages.
8. www.rt.com: Russia boosts foreign exchange reserves as capital outflow slows.
9. www.rt.com: Ice’s melting: Will Arctic become ‘a new battlefield for oil like the Middle East’?
10. Counterpunch.org: Brian Cloughley, The Anti-Russia Cold War in the Arctic is Heating Up.
11. Russia Observer: Patrick Armstrong, RUSSIAN FEDERATION SITREP 25 OCTOBER 2018.
12. TASS: Nezavisimaya Gazeta: US ditching arms treaties over global instability fears.
13. New York Times: Mikhail Gorbachev, A New Nuclear Arms Race Has Begun. President Trump says he plans to withdraw from a nonproliferation treaty that I signed with Ronald Reagan. It’s just the latest victim in the militarization of world affairs.
14. The Independent (UK): Mary Dejevsky, Donald Trump’s plan to rip up the anti-ballistic missile treaty with the Soviet Union may not be as disastrous as we think. East-west relations now may be fraught once again, but the contrast between then and now – not least in Europe – is one reason why the INF treaty may indeed be reaching the end of its useful life.
15. Carnegie Moscow Center: Alexey Arbatov, The Danger of Withdrawing From the INF Treaty.
16. Asia Times: Pepe Escobar, Who profits from the end of the mid-range nuclear treaty? The US move to shelve the Intermediate-range Nuclear-Forces treaty could accelerate the demise of the whole post-WWII Western alliance, and herald a bad remix of the 1930s
17. Russia Matters: Abigail Stowe-Thurston, Matt Korda and Hans M. Kristensen, Putin Deepens Confusion About Russian Nuclear Policy.
18. www.strategic-culture.org: Martin Sieff, Seeing the Big Picture: Russia-China Economic Cooperation, the SCO and Global Climate Change.
19. Valdai Discussion Club: Timofei Bordachev, EAEU: Integration Junction.
20. Financial Times: Why are the Russians leaving London? Money restrictions and tax changes have impacted the prime property market.
21. www.rt.com: New Samizdat: RT brings you a new censorship buster.
22. http://theduran.com: Philip Gerald, Two Stories from the Propaganda War. The media has been silent about Maria Butina because the case against her is falling apart.
23. Off Guardian: Vladimir Golstein, Mr. Lucas, Don’t Take Your Readers for Fools!
24. The American Interest: Allen Lynch, What Russia Will Be. Four scenarios for the future of Putin’s Russia, and Russia’s Putin.