RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents :: JRL 2018-184 :: Monday, 22 October 2018
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at email@example.com
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2018-#184
Monday, 22 October 2018
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs. The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL homepage: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
Support JRL: russialist.org/funding.php – Donate Online: direct link
1. Vedomosti: Ivan Mikirtumov, Why the Russian President Made Fun of Russian Propaganda.
2. Moscow Times: Ella Paneyakh, Why Russians Now Trust the Army More Than Putin . That doesn’t mean the Kremlin should embark on another military campaign abroad.
3. Bear Market Brief: Kudrin and Oreshkin clash on May decrees.
4. Bear Market Brief: Oil provides 1/2 of Russia’s profit growth.
5. www.rt.com: Sanctioned Russian assets attracting investment from biggest US pension funds.
6. www.rt.com: Germany sees Russia as stable energy partner as US demands Europe dump Nord Stream 2 pipeline.
7. TASS: Kremlin: Putin’s ‘heaven’ remark symbolism, Russia rejects notion of preemptive strike.
8. Paul Goble: Putin’s Valdai Club Remarks on Nuclear War Not New But Very Worrisome, Golts Says.
9. The New Yorker: Masha Gessen, Putin Lied About His Nuclear Doctrine and Promised Russians That They Would Go to Heaven.
10. Military Times: Why today’s troops fear a new war is coming soon.
11. Interfax: Russia has never considered INF Treaty anachronism, acknowledges issues – Peskov.
12. Interfax: It’s wrong to tie future of New START Treaty to situation around INF Treaty – Russian Foreign Ministry.
13. TASS: Media: Potential US pullout from INF to undermine nuclear deterrence.
14. Wall Street Journal: Russian Officials Slam Trump’s Plans to Exit Nuclear Treaty. Moscow dismisses U.S. claim that it is violating the 1987 pact.
15. www.rt.com: Withdraw first, ask later: He nuked Russia-US relations, now Bolton arrives in Moscow to talk.
16. New York Times: Gorbachev Calls Trump’s Nuclear Treaty Withdrawal ‘Not the Work of a Great Mind’
17. Bloomberg: Leonid Bershidsky, Trump’s Withdrawal From Nuclear Treaty Hurts U.S. Allies. Germany has more to lose than Russia from Trump’s move.
18. South China Morning Post: Donald Trump ‘targets’ China by pulling out of missile deal with Russia.
19. TASS: Nezavisimaya Gazeta: Trump adviser sets sights on Russia’s ‘backyard’
20. Interfax: Russia has trained over 1,000 troops in CAR, more instructors to go there – Foreign Ministry.
21. The Unz Review: Israel Shamir, Cloak and Dagger. (re Russian intelligence operations)[unz.com/ishamir/cloak-and-dagger/]
22. Facebook: Discussion re “Russia’s once shadowy spies cast into the light. Why now?” (Alexander Mercouris and Fred Weir)
23. Wall Street Journal: The Case of the Disappearing Stalin Statue Roils a Russian City. A bust of the former dictator lay hidden in a Kusa lake for decades, and its emergence this summer stirred anxious debate.
24. www.rt.com: Ukraine government hikes gas prices for population by quarter as part of deal with IMF.
25. Facebook: Ivan Katchanovski, Maidan Shootings.
26. AP: Birth of a New Ukrainian Church Brings Fears of Violence.
27. Russia Matters: Nicolai Petrov, Russian-Ukrainian Church Turmoil Driven by Political Ambitions.
28. Paul Goble: Patriarch Kirill’s ‘Fatal Inability to Compromise’ Costing Russia Influence Abroad, ‘Nezavisimaya Gazeta’ Says.
29. The National Interest: Nikolas Gvosdev, Here’s What’s Really Going on with the Orthodox Church in Ukraine and Russia. History, doctrine, and religious life all matter and cannot be ignored.
30. The Daily Wire: Media Begin Lowering Expectations Ahead Of FBI Report On Alleged Trump-Russia Collusion.
31. Consortiumnews.com: Caitlin Johnstone, Report Says Russia-gaters Should Go Quietly in the Night . After more than two years of mania about Russia stealing the 2016 election for Trump and demonization of anyone who questioned it, an embarrassing end may soon be near for the Russia-gaters. [consortiumnews.com/2018/10/20/report-says-russia-gaters-should-go-quietly-in-the-night/]
32. Kremlin.ru: Meeting of the Valdai International Discussion Club. (transcript continued)