RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents :: JRL 2018-182 :: Thursday, 18 October 2018
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2018-#182
Thursday, 18 October 2018
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs. The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL homepage: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
Support JRL: russialist.org/funding.php – Donate Online: direct link
1. Russia Beyond: 7 things feeding Russians’ insufferable national pride.
2. The Calvert Journal: The world’s first rapper was actually a Soviet poet, says Russia’s culture minister.
3. Sputnik: Putin Says Daesh Took 700 Hostages in US-Controlled Area, Executed Ten of Them. [Transcript of Putin’s meeting with the Valdai International Discussion Club will be available here: http://en.kremlin.ru/events/president/news/58848]
4. Russia in Global Affairs: Sergey Karaganov and Dmitry Suslov, A new world order: A view from Russia. (excerpt) [Full text: eng.globalaffairs.ru/pubcol/A-new-world-order-A-view-from-Russia–19782]
5. The Nation: Stephen Cohen, Inconvenient Thoughts on Cold War and Other News. Intelligence agencies, Nikki Haley, sanctions, and public opinion.
6. www.rt.com: Moscow ‘ready for larger-scale provocations’ by the West, says Lavrov.
7. TASS: Medvedev warns West cannot sway Moscow’s stance by stoking anti-Russian hysteria.
8. Government.ru: Dmitry Medvedev’s interview with Euronews TV channel.
9. Valdai Discussion Club: Philosophy of Development: Run, Crawl or Put Aside.[valdaiclub.com/events/posts/articles/philosophy-of-development-run-crawl-or-put-aside/]
10. Intellinews.com: Ben Aris, Happy 12th birthday bne.
11. Paul Goble: Putin Youth Have Fallen in Love with the West but Not with Democracy, Levada Expert Says.
12. Paul Goble: Russia Must Escape from Hyper-Centralization to Flourish, Pastukhov Says.
13. TASS: Izvestia: Russia’s investment in US debt plunges to historic low.
14. www.rt.com: Russia liquidates nearly all its holdings of US debt & invests money in gold.
15. Wall Street Journal: U.S. Sanctions Give Russian Economy an Unintended Boost. For months, rising dollar-denominated oil prices, falling ruble have worked to Moscow’s benefit.
16. www.rt.com: Sanctions anyone? Russia’s richest keep getting richer.
17. Forbes.com: Simon Constable, Time To Bet On Putin? How The Iranian Sanctions Will Boost Russian Stocks.
18. TASS: Russia, US might reaffirm impossibility of winning nuclear war.
19. The National Interest: Lyle Goldstein, Will the ‘Bulava’ Submarine-Launched Missile ‘Save Russia’? A return to the days of “duck and cover” in U.S.-Russia relations reflects widespread ignorance of the inherent costs and extraordinary dangers of arms racing in the nuclear age.
20. www.rt.com: Mikhail Khodarenok, Battle for the Arctic: NATO’s Trident Juncture aims to demonstrate its dominance to Russia. [rt.com/op-ed/441627-arctic-nato-trident-russia/]
21. Financial Times: Edward Luce, The faultline in US politics caused by Russia and China. Political bickering over which country is most to blame undermines foreign policy.
22. Christian Science Monitor: Fred Weir, Russia’s once shadowy spies cast into the light. Why now? Few intelligence agencies are immune to scandal. But the foibles of elite secret forces tend to be kept under wraps. Recent Russian fiascos have thrust the notoriously secretive GRU into public view.
23. TASS: ‘Novichok’ claims against Russia may stem from ‘domestic political climate’, says Medvedev.
24. Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs: Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov’s interview with Euronews, Moscow, October 16, 2018. (excerpt re Skripals) [Full text: mid.ru/en/foreign_policy/news/-/asset_publisher/cKNonkJE02Bw/content/id/3374833]
25. www.rt.com: Jim Jatras, Faith, power, money: Conflicting agendas in Ukraine Church politics. [rt.com/op-ed/440230-orthodox-church-ukraine-poroshenko/]
26. Moscow Times: Christopher Stroop, The Crisis in the Orthodox Church and the Battle for Slavic History . Now that the Russian Orthodox Church has severed ties with Constantinople, there will surely be chaos ahead.
27. The Unz Review: Anatoly Karlin, The Istanbul Patriarch Plays at Pope and Falls Under Anathema. [unz.com/akarlin/constantinople-heresy/]
28. The Harriman Institute at Columbia University: Cold War and the Academy: An Oral History on Russian and Eurasian Studies. (transcripts of interviews)
29. Time.com: Helen Rappaport, The Crucial Connection Between The Romanoffs and the True History of Russia’s Last Imperial Family. (re TV series)