RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents :: JRL 2018-18 :: Thursday, 25 January 2018
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at email@example.com
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2018-#18
Thursday, 25 January 2018
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs
The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL homepage: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
Support JRL: russialist.org/funding.php – Donate Online: direct link
1. Carnegie Moscow Center: Andrei Kolesnikov, Project Inertia: The Outlook for Putin’s Fourth Term. Do not expect modernization after Putin’s 2018 reelection. Instead, the system he built will function on autopilot as the Russian leader continues to lose direct control over events, ideas, and actions. But that doesn’t imply democratization. In essence, the head of state finds himself chained to the galley that he built himself.
2. Fort Russ: Putin’s advice to students – “don’t be afraid to make mistakes”.
3. http://usforeignpolicy.blogs.lalibre.be: Gilbert Doctorow, ‘Total War’ Led by the U.S. and Russia’s Predicament over How to Respond. If we are to understand the policy options being considered by Russian elites, including by the occupant of the Kremlin, we must understand in depth the contempt and derision with which they speak of the U.S. today in media directed at the home audience. – http://usforeignpolicy.blogs.lalibre.be/archive/2018/01/25/total-war-led-by-the-u-s-and-russia-s-predicament-over-how-1162716.html
4. Newsweek.com: U.S. AND ALLIES TARGET RUSSIA IN ‘ECONOMIC WAR’ TO OVERTHROW PUTIN, TOP BANKER SAYS.
5. Meduza: The name of the game is cruelty. Why Russia’s State Duma wants to ban a ‘baiting stations’ in the training of hunting dogs, and why the Senate is opposed.
6. Irrussianality: Paul Robinson, STALIN, PADDINGTON, AND THE PRESS.
7. Moscow Times: Andrei Arkhangelsky, Why Russia Has a Problem With ‘The Death of Stalin.’ We can criticize Stalin, but we cannot laugh.
8. www.rt.com: Russian State Duma mulls ‘morality council’ after Stalin movie pulled from cinemas.
9. Fort Russ: Khruschev’s son warns of “fake history” in new film about his father.
10. New York Times: Maria Antonova, What Homoerotic Videos Can Teach Us About Modern Russia. (excerpt)
11. TASS: Izvestia: Russians back athletes who opted to go to PyeongChang.
12. www.rt.com: IOC says Russian fan flag-waving ‘cannot be prohibited’ at PyeongChang.
13. The Calvert Journal: The Bell: meet the Russian media start-up fighting for the precarious future of independent media. After she was fired as editor-in-chief of Russia’s highly respected media outlet RBC for critical reporting, Elizaveta Osetinskaya left her country and headed to the US. Now she’s founded The Bell, a six-person media start-up fighting for space in Russia’s troubled world of independent media.
14. www.rt.com: Russian MPs strengthen punishment for violations by foreign agents in media.
15. TASS: Russia sees no point in discussing sanctions with US, says deputy PM.
16. Bear Market Brief: Russians at Davos say sanctions are a hindrance, not a worry.
17. TASS: Izvestia: Moscow mulls swift response to new US sanctions.
18. Bear Market Blog: Maximilian Hess, CAATSA in the Rye: Will Trump’s sanctions implementation prove phony? – https://bearmarketbrief.com/2018/01/24/caatsa-in-the-rye-will-trumps-sanctions-implementation-be-phony/
19. www.rt.com: Foreign direct investment in Russia growing steadily amid economic resurgence.
20. Sputnik: US-Russia Lost Trade Opportunities. (interview with Paul Goncharoff)
21. The Nation: Stephen Cohen, The American Bipartisan Policy Establishment Declares Its ‘Second Cold War’ vs. Russia After Years of Denying It. The most influential US foreign-policy membership society has issued a report affirming the new Cold War and its eagerness to fight it.
22. Washington Post: Lawrence Krauss and Robert Rosner, We’re as close to Doomsday today as we were during the Cold War.
23. TASS: US strategy for Syria aimed at dismembering the country – Russian Foreign Ministry.
24. The Unz Review: Israel Shamir, “You Are Now Entering the American Sector” (Will Syria Be Partitioned?)
25. RFE/RL: U.S. Envoy: Lack Of Political Will In Moscow Thwarting Ukraine Peace.
26. www.rt.com: ‘Son of b***h got fired’: Joe Biden forced Ukraine to sack prosecutor general ‘in six hours’
27. Vesti.ru: Calm Before the Storm – No Doubt Anymore That War is Brewing in the Donbass Again. [Video: https://www.vesti.ru/doc.html?id=2979720&cid=4441]
28. New York Times: Ryan Goodman, Seeing Through the Fog in the Mueller Russia Probe.
29. Washington Post: Newly released texts between former Mueller probe members reveal skepticism about the case. – https://www.washingtonpost.com/powerpost/newly-released-texts-between-former-mueller-probe-members-reveal-skepticism-about-the-case/2018/01/23/662aaefa-0090-11e8-bb03-722769454f82_story.html?utm_term=.bf2c0ce21cf3
30. www.rt.com: Robert Bridge, From ‘secret societies’ to flawed FBI probes, the Russiagate narrative is imploding.
31. Kennan Institute: Maxim Trudolyubov, Russian Meddling Is a Meme.
32. Bloomberg: U.S. Officials Are Hiding From Russians at Davos, Deputy Premier Says
33. Wall Street Journal: Ted Van Dyk, ‘Collusion,’ Then and Now. The Trump-Russia conspiracists simply don’t understand how political campaigns work.