RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents :: JRL 2018-177 :: Thursday, 27 September 2018
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at email@example.com
[From David Johnson on Sept. 26:] Early warning: After Friday I will be on vacation in Europe until October 15. JRL unlikely during that time.
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2018-#177
Thursday, 27 September 2018
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs. The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL homepage: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
Support JRL: russialist.org/funding.php – Donate Online: direct link
1. CURRENT HISTORY: Michael McFaul, [PDF] Is Putinism the Russian Norm or an Aberration? (excerpt)
2. Bellingcat: Skripal Suspect Boshirov Identified as GRU Colonel Anatoliy Chepiga. (excerpt)
3. The Blog Mire: Rob Slane, William of Ockham Lends His Razor to the Skripal Case. [theblogmire.com/william-of-ockham-lends-his-razor-to-the-skripal-case/]
4. www.craigmurray.org.uk: Craig Murray, “Boshirov” is probably not “Chepiga”. But he is also not “Boshirov”. [craigmurray.org.uk/archives/2018/09/boshirov-is-probably-not-chepiga-but-he-is-also-not-boshirov/]
5. Twitter: Eliot Higgins (Bellingcat), “Pretty much every major UK newspaper has @Bellingcat’s Skirpal story on their front page today”
6. Discussions of Bellingcat story on Twitter.
7. Interfax: London denies legal assistance to Moscow in probing Skripal case – embassy.
8. www.rt.com: Poison plot thickens: German doctors cannot define toxin allegedly used against Pussy Riot founder. [rt.com/politics/439590-poison-plot-thickens-german/]
9. Interfax: Butina finally given normal prison conditions in U.S. in terms of sleep, daily activities – father.
10. TASS: Russia’s State Duma adopts bill on pension reform in final reading.
11. Moscow Times: Russians Are Much Less Willing to Protest Retirement Age Hike, Poll Says.
12. Bear Market Brief: Politics and Regions with Fabrice Deprez. (re North Caucasus)
13. Intellinews.com: Russians see heads of state behemoths as most successful top managers.
14. TASS: Izvestia: Russia to join WTO reform campaign.
15. Russia Matters: Alexey Eremonko, The ‘Who, What, When’ of Russia Sanctions: A Cheat Sheet for Laymen.
16. Foreign Policy: Andrei Movchan, New Sanctions Won’t Hurt Russia. Washington thinks punitive measures will change Moscow’s calculus, but the Russian economy is doing just fine.
17. The Nation: Nadia Azhgikkina, Dialogue Is the Best Medicine: Citizens Speak Out Against Reinvigorating the Cold War. Russian and American students at the Track Two conference in St. Petersburg were ready to trust each other much more than they trust the politicians.
18. Moscow Times: Lincoln Mitchell and Tinatin Japaridze, When the Russian Dog Finally Caught up With the American Car. Donald Trump has created a U.S.-size vacuum in the international order. But is Russia capable of filling it?
19. http://thesaker.is: The Decreasing Relevance Of Sino-Russian Rivalries. By Mister Unknown for The Saker Blog. [thesaker.is/the-decreasing-relevance-of-sino-russian-rivalries/]
20. AP: Via arms and trade, Russia plots long-term Syrian future.
21. CGTN.com (China Global Television Network): Zach Battat, Russia’s response and the diplomatic opportunity. [unz.com/ishamir/russia-tames-the-israelis/]
22. The Unz Review: Israel Shamir, Russia and the Taming of the Israelis.
23. TASS: Kommersant: Russia, US vie over Afghan settlement.
24. PONARS Eurasia: Ways to End the Donbas Conflict. Interview with Serhiy Kudelia.
25. Washington Times: Edward Lozansky, Short digest of the roots of Ukrainian crisis from 1654 to present.
26. The New Kremlin Stooge: Mark Chapman, The Boy Who Cried “Bear!!”: a Norwegian Folk Tale. [thenewkremlinstooge.wordpress.com/2018/09/26/the-boy-who-cried-bear-a-norwegian-folk-tale/#more-187]
27. Intellinews.com: Ben Aris, Ukraine’s presidential election polls vary widely on candidates’ popularity.
28. Russia Beyond: 10 American habits that Russians truly admire.
29. Ohio State University. Slavic and East European Journal: Russian Studies in the Era of Trump. This is the introduction to a SEEB series organized by Ani Kokobobo, Associate Professor and Director of Graduate Studies in the Department of Slavic Languages & Literatures at the University of Kansas.